Thursday, March 5, 2020

'He’s our man 100%': Trump insists he won't dump Pence for Nikki Haley in 2020



TRUMP QUASHES 
FAKE NEWS RUMORS


by Rob Crilly
| November 22, 2019 11:54 AM




President Trump moved to quash rumors that he was preparing to replace Mike Pence with Nikki Haley as his 2020 running mate, saying he was sticking with his vice president.

“He’s my guy, he’s my friend,” he said in a rambling telephone interview with Fox & Friends that lasted almost an hour.

A new book by an anonymous author, who claims to be a senior administration official, reignited the rumors with details that Haley had been floated as a vice presidential pick in order to improve Trump’s support among women.

"On more than one occasion, Trump has discussed with staff the possibility of dropping Vice President Pence in advance of the 2020 election," the official wrote in A Warning, published this week.

Haley won plaudits for her tenure as Trump’s ambassador to the United Nations, where she impressed foreign diplomats by standing up for U.S. interests while building consensus when necessary.

Unlike many in the president’s orbit, her departure last year came on her own terms at her own time of choosing — stoking speculation that she was preparing for the next phase in her political career, possibly a 2024 presidential run.

She reentered public life in recent weeks with a promotional tour for her book With All Due Respect: Defending America with Grit and Grace.

Trump said Haley would be involved in the 2020 campaign but insisted he was sticking with Pence.

"Mike Pence is a great vice president," he added. "He’s our man 100%."

But he praised Haley and said she would be involved with the campaign.

“She is a friend of mine, she endorsed me with the most beautiful endorsement you’ve ever heard,” he said. “She did a great job at the U.N.”

No comments:

Post a Comment