Friday, January 24, 2020

The List 5197

The List 5197 TCB

To All,

A bit of history and some tidbits.



Today in Naval History

Jan. 22

§ 1800—Capt. Thomas Tingey is ordered to duty as the first Superintendent of the Washington Navy Yard.

§ 1862—During the Civil War, the side-wheel steamer Lexington conducts a reconnaissance up the Tennessee River and exchanges long-range fire with Fort Henry in Tennessee.

§ 1870—USS Nipsic, commanded by Cmdr. Thomas O. Selfridge, sails on an expedition to survey the Isthmus of Darien at Panama to determine the best route for a ship canal.

§ 1941—During World War II, USS Louisville (CA 28) arrives at New York with $148,342.212.55 in British gold brought from Simonstown, South Africa, to be deposited in American banks.

§ 1944—Operation Shingle, the Allied landing at Anzio and Nettuno, Italy, begins. While the landings are flawless and meet with little resistance from the Germans, USS Portent sinks during the invasion.

Thanks to CHINFO

Executive Summary:

• North Korea said on Tuesday that it is no longer bound by commitments to halt nuclear and missiles testing, reports Reuters.

• USNI News covered the beginning of the bilateral Iron Fist amphibious exercise between the U.S. and Japan.

• The Pentagon has given conditional approval to resume training of Saudi Arabian nationals in the United States, reports the Associated Press.

· January 22


England's "Bloodless Revolution" reaches its climax when parliament invites William and Mary to become joint sovereigns.


President Thomas Jefferson exposes a plot by Aaron Burr to form a new republic in the Southwest.


During the War of 1812, British forces under Henry Proctor defeat a U.S. contingent planning an attack on Fort Detroit.


A British force is wiped out by an Asante army under Osei Bonsu on the African Gold Coast. This is the first defeat for a colonial power.


In an attempt to out flank Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia, General Ambrose Burnside leads his army on a march to north Fredericksburg, but foul weather bogs his army down in what will become known as the "Mud March."


Eighty-two British soldiers hold off attacks by 4,000 Zulu warriors at the Battle of Rorke's Drift in South Africa.


Russian troops fire on civilians beginning Bloody Sunday in St. Petersburg.


Second Monte Carlo auto race begins.


Turkey consents to the Balkan peace terms and gives up Adrianople.


Admiral Richard Byrd charts a vast area of Antarctica.


Government troops crush a Communist uprising in Northern Spain.


A Nazi order erases the old officer caste, tying the army directly to the Party.


Axis forces pull out of Tripoli for Tunisia, destroying bases as they leave.


U.S. troops under Major General John P. Lucas make an amphibious landing behind German lines at Anzio, Italy, just south of Rome.


Communist forces shell Phnom Penh, Cambodia, for the first time.


Abu Hassan, the alleged planner of the 1972 Munich raid, is killed by a bomb in Beirut.


President Ronald Reagan formally links progress in arms control to Soviet repression in Poland.



Vietnam Thanks to Mugs

You've probably seen this, but if not it's a thoughtful tribute to those who served.


Thanks to Chucker Mc

This is a genuine ad from 1964 when WD 40 was first released


This was a great air wing to serve in for over 11 months. We had a lot of folks who went on to command squadrons, airwings, ships and attain flag rank.
Testimony of Pilot: Pilgrimage of Honor (

Champs and CAG 5 folks,

By way of introduction for my latest post, recall that on 10 Jan 1973 VA-115 lost Mondo McCormick and Arlo Clark on a night low level supporting B-52 missions. They were the last A-6 loss of the war and honestly, probably a ridiculous tasking. Their remains were eventually returned and are buried together in Arlington. The A-6 on Midway has been dedicated in their honor.

Arlo's son Tad was born during the cruise. He went on to graduate from the Air Force Academy and stills flies F-16s as Commander of the 8th Fighter Wing - the Wolf Pac - and was a Thunderbird 2006-2007.

He recently visited Hanoi and Vinh and went on to his father's crash site on the 10 January anniversary. As explained below I've gained and maintained connections with several of the 115 guys including Tad, and so was included in his e-mails to family and the 115 folks.

The post contains a bit of intro but is intended to share Tad's "testimony" if you will. In getting his permission to post here is part of what I related:

For the record on this side, my readers/distribution list by in large is "once were's" like Horse and me. So the e-mail announcement will go to CAG Five guys who knew Arlo and Mondo or guys who can relate directly via their own squadrons via Rolling Thunder and LB's I and II.

In addition - and I think Horse will confirm - Airwing 5 on that '72-'73 cruise was in my estimation much closer than any I've ever heard of. It is the nature of fighter and attack squadrons and folks to be competitive - sometimes overly so. Maybe it was because of our early deployment in regards the NVN Easter Offensive, maybe it was because the environment turned so nasty with immediate losses after three years of almost no losses, I can't say for sure, but our enclosed world of Phantoms, Intruders, and Corsairs was different. As a Wild Weasel guy, you should appreciate one aspect. My VA-56 Champs (A-7s) readyroom was next door to the VF-161 Rockrivers (F-4s) and they had some aggressive wild dudes with multiple MiG killers, one an eventual TOPGUN CO. On multiple occasions their CO and others came into our readyroom to personally thank the Ironhand guys for saving their asses.

That meant something on multiple levels - one being if they got a MiG it was an automatic Silver Star, if we killed or shut down a SAM site it was a trap and 2 more points for an Strike Flight Air Medal... such is war...fighter pilots make movies, attack pilots make history ;)

So, for me this is going out to Mondo and Arlo's - and yours - other family.

Tad has honored not only his Dad and Mondo, but us all I think



Tad, all the Clark family, McCormick family and 115 attack brothers.

I was a VA-56 Corsair guy in CAG 5 and was friends with many of you - flight school with Bud Langston, Bruce Kalsen and I were in a squadron post 72-73, and I worked for Skipper Barrish as a catapult officer. Snako Kelly and I worked together on the Rememberedsky website and Shylock Koch and Bob Ponton have collaborated on several aspects of the site. Horse and I share several connections, one with the author of a book These Good Men. (a quote later, if you will), with one other add - connections with the Intruder community having just under 700 hrs in the A-6 without ever being in a squadron (weapons test world) - praise be never having flown one of those night low level combat missions!!!???

I am so impressed with Tad's pilgrimage in honor of Mondo and Arlo. I'm thankful to have been included through the connections above with Tad.

I began Rememberedsky to tell the attack side of that 72 cruise and Snako added much to the story. I've moved on to other areas, one being a series "Testimony of Pilot." Intent here is for me to write little and post TINS stories right from the perpetrator's mouth/writing. Needless to say Tad's story and that of Mondo and Arlo fit like a glove.

The last few testimonies reflect on James Michener's famous line in the Bridges of Toko Ri "where did we get such men?"

Here is my last, with Tad's permission: Testimony of Pilot: Pilgrimage of Honor (

Let me leave you with this from the friend of Jim Horsely and I, Michael Norman:

I now know why men who have been to war yearn to reunite. Not to tell stories or look at old pictures. Not to laugh or weep. Comrades gather because they long to be with the men who once acted their best, men who suffered and sacrificed, who were stripped raw, right down to their humanity.

I did not pick these men. They were delivered by fate and the Military. But I know them in a way I know no other men. I have never given anyone such trust. They were willing to guard something more precious than my life.

They would have carried my reputation, the memory of me. It was part of the bargain we all made, the reason we were so willing to die for one another. I cannot say where we are headed. Ours are not perfect friendships; those are the province of legend and myth. A few of my comrades drift far from me now, sending back only occasional word. I know that one day even these could fall to silence. Some of the men will stay close, a couple, perhaps, always at hand.

As long as I have memory, I will think of them all, every day. I am sure that when I leave this world, my last thought will be of my family and my comrades…..such good men.
Tad, sir, you honor not only your father and Mondo but us all.



Thanks to Carl

(What would you do?)

Michigan man returns $43K he found hidden in couch bought at Habitat for Humanity store

Posted Jan 17, 2020

OWOSSO, MI — A mid-Michigan man found more than $43,000 in cash hidden in a couch he bought from a secondhand store, and though he had no apparent legal obligation to do so, he decided to return the money to the family who donated the item.

Ovid resident Howard Kirby recently bought a set of furniture for $70 from the Habitat for Humanity ReStore in Owosso. After the couch spent a few weeks in his “man cave,” he started to think something was off.

“The foot cushion always seemed kind of hard,” Kirby said Friday, Jan. 17.

His daughter-in-law finally opened the cushion and was surprised to find a box containing tens of thousands of dollars in cash - $43,170, once they counted it up.

Surprised at his good fortune, Kirby considered how the cash could change his life: He could finish paying his house off and fix his roof and still have some left over. He contacted a lawyer and learned he had the legal right to keep the cash.

But Kirby felt his faith called him to do the right thing and try to return the money to the family who donated the couch.

“The Holy Spirit just came over me and said, ‘No, that’s really not yours,’” Kirby said.

Kirby went back to the store, which got in contact with the family, he said. They arranged a meeting in the store for Kirby to return the family’s lost money, but Restore manager Rick Merling said initially it wasn’t clear how much cash was involved.

“We didn’t tell them what had happened because we didn’t know exactly,” Merling said.

Kirby then surprised the family with the hidden cash, which had been stashed in the furniture of their recently-passed grandfather.

The feel-good find was very close to going up in flames: The store was swamped with furniture at the time, and ReStore and other resale shops were hesitant to take the grandfather’s set because of its age, Merling said. The family told Merling and Kirby they planned on burning it if they could not find a taker.

Kirby said he had questioned his whole life whether he’d do the right thing in a situation like this. He’s glad this happened so he knows now that he, in fact, would. He had no intention of getting attention for the deed, but he hopes it might help other people do the right thing as well.

“It belonged to them, and I’m glad I was able to give it back to them,” Kirby said. “As a born-again Christian, I want to do what Christ would want me to do, and I think that’s what he would want me to do.”


F-8 Crusader: Carrier to Carrier Cross Country.

Two F-8 Crusaders catapult from the USS Bon Homme Richard in the Pacific and land on the USS Saratoga in the Atlantic Ocean. Non-stop.

F-8 & AJ.

The following is extracted from Bill Northrup's narrative of the event.

Toward the end of May 1957 Capt Dose, CO of VX-3, based at NAS Atlantic City NJ, received a call from a friend at DCNO AIR Operations asking him if he could set up and make a historic carrier-to-carrier west to east flight in about a week, specifically, on the anniversary of D-Day, 6 June. President Eisenhower and top government officials and Navy Admirals and lots of press were to be on the east coast carrier, the USS Saratoga. Bob said "Sure, they will make it happen."

They were to pick up a new Crusader for Paul Miller at the factory at Dallas equipped with the new inflight refueling modification. They went to Dallas, and Bob's F8, an older one, had to be modified with the new refueling probe, etc., which was done in short order.

The F8 Crusader was a helluva machine. The previous year CDR Duke Windsor had set a speed record of 1015.429 mph. Not only that, he was ordered to "Hold it to just over 1000 mph" by the brass. The F8 had a very long cruise range also compared to other fighters of that time.

The flight was planned to be two legs with inflight refueling over Dallas. It being only six miles off the great circle route, San Diego-Jacksonville. It was calculated that they would go into afterburner and go supersonic at a specific time on each leg with a safe margin of fuel remaining to, on the first leg, refuel airborne, and the second to make a "Mach Descent" to a carrier landing aboard Saratoga. The first leg was to be thirteen minutes supersonic and seventeen on the last. Longer on the last because they would be starting from 25,000 feet after refueling and not ground level. They figured to go to 43,000 feet and fast cruise to the point where afterburners were lit and acceleration to Mach 1.7. This was the maximum speed allowed for the early Crusaders due to directional instability above that Mach. Later F8s had ventral fins which allowed Mach numbers above 1.9.

A practice flight was made from Dallas. Bob and Paul went west to the point where they were to go into A/B for the thirteen minutes of the last of the first leg east bound. They turned, went into burner, accelerated to 1.7 Mach headed for Dallas and the awaiting AJ Savage tanker plane. During the descent to the tanker they gave Dallas a "really good" sonic boom! Not intentionally, of course (?) Later that evening the Chance Vought test pilot, John Conrad, came to the BOQ where Bob and Paul were staying and told them "You guys almost knocked me out of my bathtub".

They had taken on enough fuel on that practice flight so they were sure the new inflight refueling system worked properly then landed at NAS Dallas. The next day they flew to NAS Alameda and the F8s were loaded aboard the USS Bon Homme Richard. The carrier then headed to the San Diego area.

June 6 1957. CAPT Dose and LCDR Miller catapulted off the Bon Homme Richard,, joined up, and headed east on the first leg of their flight. They climbed in A/B to 43,000feet (that took only about 4.5 minutes). Came out of A/B and continued the flight plan. This plan was all set except for one place. The White Sands Nuclear testing area. The USAF had not previously cleared them through that air space. CAPT Dose

contacted the Air Controllers seven minutes out warning them they were coming. They received clearance 35 seconds prior to crossing into that air space! CAPT Dose said, "It wouldn't have made any difference, because we were coming through regardless".

Thirteen minutes prior to the descent point to the tankers awaiting near Dallas they went into burner and accelerated to 1.7 Mach and held this Mach to the descent point to the tankers. Out of A/B. Descend. Pick up the tankers. Plugged in and took on a full load of fuel and went into A/B and again climbed to 43,000 feet for the last leg.

Bob said "It was one of those rare days. A beautiful clear dark blue sky all across the southern states". They didn't get any help from the jet stream winds that day. It was absent. Practically no help there at all. For the last leg's seventeen minutes of supersonic flight they went into A/B. This was near the middle of Alabama. As they proceeded the Crusaders wanted to go faster, so to keep the Mach from exceeding 1.7 they started a slow climb. Over eastern Alabama, while CAPT Dose gave the FAA controller his report, the controller exclaimed "What the hell are you guys flying?" That gave Bob and Paul a grin. They were really haullin' buggy!

During the slow climb on their way toward Jacksonville the Crusaders had attained an altitude of 47,500 feet arriving at the descent point. Over Jacksonville Bob said "There was the biggest, tallest thunderstorm I ever saw. It must have topped out about 60,000 feet. I decided to go around the north side of it". (This is the scene chosen for the painting). About 50 miles east of Jacksonville cruised the carrier group with many ships including three carriers. Bob and Paul were breaking Mach 1 in their descent and were heading for the Saratoga where President Eisenhower and staff -etc. were waiting. They came by the ship just above deck level about 100 feet out doing 650 knots. That got everyone's attention! Three hours twenty eight minutes! An unofficial record never broken.

Now CAPT Dose realized they had to do something to kill off all that excess speed if they were to be in good shape to get aboard on the first pass. They were really honkin'! Every Navy pilot knows you have to look good around the boat. So Bob decided to go a little farther upwind before breaking for the turn downwind and pulling a lot of Gs’ to help kill off all that excess speed. The Crusader was reluctant to slow up and Bob arrived on final approach at last with 220 knots, slow enough to raise the wing and drop the gear. He said "I had about 142 knots very close in and added a lot of power (for the first time since descent!)" Made a big correction near the ramp and caught the #3 wire. Paul Miller got aboard OK also. He had a little more time to get slowed up for his landing. Later, the LSO, Lt Sharp, remarked to his CO, CAPT Dose, "Skipper, that was a dilly!!"

After climbing down from their cockpits they were surrounded by the press before being greeted by President Eisenhower. Bob remembered 'Ike' as being "A very impressive gentleman who was very interested in all the details of our flight".

After the festivities CAPT Dose and LCDR Miller launched and headed home to Atlantic City. Their Crusaders had performed flawlessly. Their 'record' stands.

The significance of Dose's and Miller's flight was that it was not a "Project" anything. That was the beauty of it. It was a last-minute event set up by the U.S. Navy to portray the advances in the capabilities of new naval aircraft. They knew that President Eisenhower would be on the USS Saratoga to observe naval exercises off the coast of Jacksonville, and that it would be a good time to do something special.

John Glenn's "Project Bullet" six weeks later was a very official record run that had been set up well ahead of time to be a "big thing". Remember Dose and Miller only had about a week to get this organized. These type of flights will probably never happen again due to the restrictions in supersonic flight over the U.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

THE MYSTERIOUS PHONE CALL Jack Blanchard's Column February 13, 2021

        Thousands of readers around the world ...