Tuesday, December 17, 2019

TheList 5167

The List 5167 TGB

To All,

I hope that you are enjoying the weekend. Navy did beat Army this afternoon True sportsmanship on display for the whole game. One almost forgets what sportsmanship is really like. It is good to see it once a year to remember.

A bit of Administrative stuff for the List. A number of folks have contacted me over the last couple of weeks letting me know that they are not receiving the list. Some have waited a long time to contact me. The first thing that I do is check the membership list to see if they are still on there. If the system gets a lot of bounce backs then over time it will delete the address. But it notifies me for each one so I will call you or try to send you an email to fix it before that happens. In each of these cases they were still in there. So then I delete them and then renter and try again. Always check your junk mail or any other place your operating system sends email it does not like. We seem to have a lot of trouble with AOL and that has been going on for many years. We have the least or even no trouble with gmail and I always recommend getting an account as a back up and a way to get the list. I have had a back up gmail for about 15 years and have never had any problems. Remember I always send out a list Monday through Friday and sometimes on the weekend like today so if you do not receive one send me a note to sleonard001@san.rr.com

My cell is 619-610-8166 If I have your phone number it will come up with your name and I will answer. Otherwise leave me a voice mail. I rarely answer the phone if I do not know who is calling.


Thanks to THE Bear -

Admiral Holloway's Funeral Details



One can hardly fail to notice the difference in personal values and integrity between Admiral Holloway and John McCain disclosed in their individual choices for the final page of their respective lives on earth.... On the one hand we have McCain, who held the world hostage for more than a week of forced adulation in multiple cities and no less than six ceremonies requiring full honors and the undivided attention of millions....

On the other hand, we have Admiral Holloway, many times the man that was McCain, who exits with a single, simplistic moment that is an example for emulation by every warrior "going west" to rest-in-peace, "glory gained, duty done." God bless and keep the Admiral and those he leaves to carry on the extraordinary Holloway heritage...

I hope the Admiral and those attending the events at the Academy on the 18th have a sunny day for his final page... Thanks for doing double duty and carrying my thoughts, unbridled admiration, and highest respect for Admiral Holloway to the hallowed ground where he will spend eternity... Bear...


Dutch... An extraordinarily simple funeral plan for an extraordinary human being and leader of warriors. Admiral Holloway departing....

Begin forwarded message:


Fellow Flag Officers,

Admiral Holloway's funeral will be held at the USNA Chapel on 18 December at 1000. His funeral will be followed by a short 15-minute walk to the graveside committal service at the USNA Cemetery. Transportation to/from the grave will be available for those of you unable to make the walk from the chapel to the cemetery. Immediately following the conclusion of the graveside service, his family will host a reception in Alumni Hall.

Parking is very limited at the Naval Academy. There will be a shuttle operating from the Navy Marine Corps Memorial Stadium to the Chapel beginning at 0830 (enter the stadium parking lot via Taylor Avenue, Gate 5). Shuttles will return to the stadium following the chapel service and from the post-ceremony reception. There will be also be general parking available in the Naval Academy parking garage, across from Alumni Hall.

Reserved parking will be limited to three-star or above, as well as for former COs of the USS ENTERPRISE. Please contact USNA Protocol, Mrs. Ann Mcconnell at (410) 293-1511/10 for more details.

Very Respectfully,


Samuel J. Cox

RADM, USN (retired)

Director of Naval History

Curator for the Navy

Director, Naval History and Heritage Command

Thanks to Harold for sharing some personal history. One of my uncles was a B-17 pilot who survived the war and he told me once what it was like coming back to the barracks after one of those flights where a lot of aircraft were lost. At 9 or ten men per aircraft some of the barracks were almost empty. Remember that the 8th Air force lost more men flying B-17s over Europe then all the marines lost in the entire Pacific campaigns.

Skip: Harold Prather here. This is a story I complied from my father's WWII diary and my recollections of the story. The mission was on Christmas Eve, 1944. I think it may be appropriate for the List as we approach the 75th anniversary of that day. I hope you will agree.

Twas The Night Before Christmas, 1944

Dad was born in Dallas, Texas in 1922, and raised in San Antonio, Texas by a single mother. He never knew his father who died in an automobile wreck when Dad was two years old. After graduating from Breckenridge High School he worked odd jobs until the war broke out. Like most other young men in that age group, he wanted to "join up" and go fight the war. He had always been fascinated with airplanes so he enlisted in the Army Air Force, or the brown shoe Air Force as he called it, in September 1942. For reasons he never understood he was not called up until March 21, 1943 and was sent to Santa Ana California as a aviation cadet, Class 44A. He washed out of Aviation Cadets several weeks later because his "spin recovery" was not satisfactory, and was "volunteered" to go to gunnery school. After completing his school and qualifying as an aerial gunner, he was assigned to a combat crew and sent to Dalhart, Texas for more training as a combat crew. Finally, two years after enlisting, he and his crew departed for England. He wound up at a small American airfield near Norwich called Deopham Green. It was here he would fly 33 combat missions in a B-17G as a member of the Eighth Air Force, 452 Bomb Group, 730 Squadron. The crew flew their first mission on September 19, 1944 to Wiesbaden, Germany. Their bomb group lost so many people that day, especially bombardiers, that the newest guys were "volunteered " to fill the positions. Dad now became an enlisted bombardier, learned to use the Norton bombsight, and flew most of his missions up front in the nose of the plane. Over the next 3 months they flew 19 missions. Then on December 16, 1944 the Battle of the Bulge began, the weather closed in, and the Eighth Air Force was grounded until December 23-24. From the 23rd for the next 5 days it was maximum effort for the fly boys. Dad's group finally got into the air on December 24, 1944.

This was Dad's 20th combat mission in the B-17. It was Christmas Eve, he was in the middle of England at a small, cold American airfield, and he was getting ready to fly across Europe to bomb the airfield at Darmstadt, Germany. But at least he was flying in a familiar plane, aptly named "Slightly Dangerous". The Eighth put up everything that could get into the air on this mission. It was the first day they could fly since the day the Germans attacked on December 16, 1944. The group's call sign that day was "Vampire Blue", a phrase he used as a password for the rest of his life. Wake up call was at 0300, dress, eat breakfast (They got real eggs that day. They got real eggs on the toughest missions), briefing, takeoff before dawn, circle up over England, form the bomber column and head for hostile skies. All in the dark. Hundreds of airplanes milling around in the air over England. Nothing to it.

The first part of the mission apparently was pretty routine. They didn't cross into enemy territory for a while, but when they did, the Luftwaffe was waiting. Even this late in the war the Germans could put up a major effort at times. This was apparently one of those times. And there they were: 25,000 feet, 30 below zero, German fighters trying to kill them, flac waiting when the fighters left, and still a long ways to go. Before they got close to the target a FW-190 came at them from the rear. The tail gunner, Harvey Dahl, called him out. They figured the German pilot had to be an old timer. He attacked from the rear, came under them, hung on his prop, fired a burst, and split-S'ed out giving them nothing to shoot at except his armored belly. He got one hit: a cannon shell into the left wing root just behind the main spar and right outside the radio compartment. "A gigantic hole" Dad described it: the main spar was exposed, fuel bladder hanging out, hydraulic system damaged. The shell fragments also put 14 holes into the radio operator, Phil Jerge. Both arms and his left leg. The wing was still attached, and the plane was still flying so they continued on with the group. They patched up Phil as best they could, put a parachute on him and the ripcord in his hand, and were going to toss him out because of the wounds and blood loss hoping the Germans would find him and save his life. He refused to go out and finally they left him on the floor with morphine to help, and went back to their positions. Now the fighters left and the flac started. Another plane, Kenworthy's, took a direct flac hit and exploded. The tail gunner claimed two chutes out, which means 7 dead. Somewhere along in here the chin turret and the ball turret on Slightly Dangerous took hits and stopped working. Then the intercom went out. They turned on the bomb run and found the bomb bay doors wouldn't open. Somebody cranked them open. The engineer passed out in the bombay and was rescued by the copilot. Apparently the oxygen supply wasn't working correctly because different people passed out periodically, including the pilot. About this time time the #4 engine took a hit and started having trouble. I don't remember if they had to feather the prop or not, but I think Dad said they did. "Slightly Dangerous" was behind the group by now so the found a "target of opportunity" and salvoed the bombs down the main street of a small village near the target area. The tail gunner reported at least two houses burning. Now they turned for home and started back. Apparently they had company with other damaged planes going home and saw no fighters or flac on the return journey. Dad did tell me the white cliffs of Dover were especially beautiful that day. But they finally made it back to Deopham Green after dark and out of gas. Jerge was still alive and recovered. (I met him at a reunion years later.) Most planes were damaged and had wounded on board. McSparran crashed on landing and killed 6 men, Dad's best friend, Kiser, among them. I found out years later (when we were at Cambridge cemetery in England and he told another guy that also flew that day while they compared stories), Dad held his head in his lap while he died. The combat crews helped clear the runway so the other planes could get on the ground. The mission lasted 7 hours and 25 minutes. Dad always said this probably was his toughest mission except maybe for Merseburg. But that's another story. Off to debriefing, chow, and get some rest. He flew again 4 days later.


Thanks toGBox

The Year is 1919" One hundred years ago !!!

Very interesting for all ages.

This will boggle your mind!

The year is 1919 "One hundred years ago."

What a difference a century makes!

Here are some statistics for the Year 1919:

The average life expectancy for men was 47 years.

Fuel for cars was sold in drug stores only.

Only 14 percent of the homes had a bathtub.

Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.

The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower .

The average US wage in 1919 was 22 cents per hour.

The average US worker made between $200 and $400 per year.

A competent accountant could expect to earn $2,000 per year.

A dentist earned $2,500 per year.

A veterinarian between $1,500 and 4,000 per year.

And, a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.

More than 95 percent of all births took place at home

Ninety percent of all Doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION! Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press AND the government as "substandard."

Sugar cost four cents a pound.

Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.

Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.

Most women only washed their hair once a month, and, used Borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from entering into their country for any reason.

The Five leading causes of death were:

1. Pneumonia and influenza

2. Tuberculosis

3. Diarrhea

4 Heart disease

5. Stroke

The American flag had 45 stars ...

The population of Las Vegas , Nevada was only 30.

Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn't been invented yet.

There was neither a Mother's Day nor a Father's Day.

Two out of every 10 adults couldn't read or write and, only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.

Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at local corner drugstores. Back then pharmacists said, "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach, bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health!" (Shocking?)

Eighteen percent of households had at least one full-time servant or domestic help.

There were about 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE US.A.

I am now going to forward this to someone else without typing it myself.

From there, it will be sent to others all over the WORLD all in a matter of seconds!

It is impossible to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years.

We've come a long way....OR have we?


Thanks toCarl

Gary Sinise flew 1,700 Gold Star family members to Disney World for an early Christmas vacation

What a nice man!!

Gary Sinise flew 1,700 Gold Star family members to Disney World for an early Christmas vacation

December 11, 2019



Thanks to the Bear

December 1944 Remembered

Dutch... Two events from 75 years ago in December 1944 worthy of a long-look back for the Silent Generation.... I remember:

(1) The Army-Navy football game in Baltimore and pulling for #2 Navy to beat #1 Army for the national championship...Blanchard and Davis prevailed ... Smackover Scott starred for Navy... Great little strip of film tells the story at...

The game was scheduled to be played in Navy's Thompson stadium in Annapolis, but due to intense national interest in the game, FDR approved moving it to the Baltimore stadium with the proviso that the tickets would be made available only to folks who would also buy a war-bond AND lived within 10 miles of the stadium due to gas rationing and shortages... The Taylors lived within the ten-mile circle (almost) and my Dad got end-zone tickets for $10 each + two $18.75 Twenty-five $ war bonds (he was making less than $60/week as an engineer at Westinghouse)... The spectacle was a mind-blowing event for 9-year old JT.... GO NAVY... I did!

(2) Two weeks later the joy of Christmas 1944 was destroyed as the Battle of the Bulge took the lives of nearly 20,000 American troops in a three-week fight with Germany. It was the Nazis' last gasp effort to reverse the relentless advance of the allies...Christmas eve day Patton ordered the 3rd Army chaplain to write a prayer for good flying weather. He did, and the skies cleared on Christmas morning. And the Germans got pounded by tactical air into a long, final retreat to unconditional surrender five months later... On Christmas Day 1944 Fred Rainbow's dad, 22-year old 1Lt Abner Rainbow led three P-47 flights of a dozen Thunderbolts each against the enemy tanks, trucks and troops near St. Vith that left two dozen vehicles destroyed and burning to earn his DFC... Go TACAIR... I did...

Refresh your memory on the Battle of the Bulge at....



Thanks to Dr. Rich

Pepsi's 2nd Prank Drive w. Jeff Gordon ...

Pepsi's second prank. This is a hoot

Pepsi's First Prank....Remember when Jeff Gordon in disguise "test drove" a
car with a terrified car salesman as his passenger?
Pepsi's first prank was criticized on the Internet to be a fake.

Pepsi's Second Prank.... So to prove the critics wrong, they did another one.
This time the victim is with one of the most critical journalists who
wrote about their first prank. This is a must watch. It's hilarious!



Thanks to Mud

Does This Mean the End the U.S. Marine Corps?

That is a very interesting article, and the author has hit the nail on the head.

The Marine Corps emerged as something bigger and better than the Navy's brig and gate keepers in 1918 at Belleau Wood when they achieved fame by saving Paris from the Germans and again in the Pacific during WWII. After each conflict the Army argued that the USMC should for the most part be disbanded and integrated as Army soldiers. That idea failed. After 1918 the current thinking was that amphibious operations were entirely too dangerous to be considered. The Marine Corps needed a raison d'être, and they were given that mission as a reason by some to get rid of them and by others as a reason to keep our Marine Corps. Between 1918 and 1940 the Marines at Quantico developed a plausible text for amphibious operations which was used by the Army in preparation for the invasion as well as the Marine Corps which was further developed in the Pacific in combat. The Marine Corps thought they had their raison d'être, and my superiors told me that if the public ever got the idea the Marine Corps was just another Army, it would be the end of our Marine Corps, thus this article.

Amphibious operations are more than likely a thing of the past, so what now is the Marine Corps' raison d'être? America loves the Marine Corps, but they've got to come up with a plausible mission. Every recent CMC has been working on that. I've devoted the greater part of my adult life to the Marine Corps, and I pray that Dave Berger's ideas make sense, because our Corps' future depends on it.

Read on.






Thanks to Dutch

for the airline buffs out there



No comments:

Post a Comment