Sunday, November 24, 2019

TheList 5151

The List 5151 TGB

To All,

I hope that your weekend has started well and continues that way. I had a great trip and it is always great to be home.



This Day in Naval History

Nov. 23

1777—During the American Revolution, the Continental sloop Ranger, commanded by John Paul Jones, captures the British brig Mary. Two days later, Ranger captures the British brig George. The prizes are then sent to Bordeaux and Nantes.

1838—The sloop-of-war Vincennes reaches Rio de Janeiro enroute to the South Pacific during the U.S. Exploring Expedition.

1861—During the Civil War, CSS Sumter evades the steam sloop-of-war Iroquois at Martinique then steams for Europe.

1914—The title "Director of Naval Aeronautics" is established to designate the officer in charge of Naval Aviation. Capt. Mark L. Bristol, already serving in that capacity, is ordered to report to the Secretary of the Navy under the new title.

1940—President Franklin D. Roosevelt appoints Adm. William D. Leahy, then retired, as the U.S. Ambassador to Vichy France in an attempt to prevent the French fleet and naval bases from falling into German hands.

1944—USS Bang (SS 385) sinks Japanese freighter Sakae Maru and transport Amakusa Maru, USS Redfish (SS 395) sinks freighter Hozan Maru, and USS Picuda (SS 382) sinks freighters Fukuju Maru and Shuyo Maru.

1981—In an effort to limit the amount of illegal drugs crossing into the US Border, the Navy is ordered to scout for drug smugglers. On this day in history the Mississippi (CGN 40) is the first U.S. Navy ship to assist in the seizure of drug smuggling vessel.

Nov. 24

1862—During the Civil War, the screw steam gunboat Monticello destroys two Confederate salt works near Little River, NC, while the screw steam gunboat Sagamore captures two British blockade runners, schooner Agnes and sloop Ellen, in Indian River, FL.

1877—While en route to Cuba to collect scientific information, the screw steam gunboat Huron wrecks in a storm near Nag's Head, NC. The crew attempts to free their ship but it soon heels over, killing 98 officers and men.

1943—Japanese submarine I-175 sinks USS Liscome Bay (CVE 56) southeast of Makin Island. Though 272 of her crew are rescued, she loses 55 officers and 591 enlisted men. Among the Sailors who lost their lives is Navy Cross recipient Cook 3rd Class Doris Miller.

1943—USS Nautilus (SS 168) and USS Gansevoort (DD 608) shell Japanese positions on Abemama Atoll, Gilbert Islands.

1964—USS Princeton (LPH 5) completes seven days of humanitarian relief delivering 1,300 tons of supplies to the Quang Tri, Quang Ngai, and Binh Dinh provinces of South Vietnam which suffered damage from typhoon and floods.

1991—The United States returns Subic Bay Naval Base to the control of the Philippines. Subic Bay had been an important point for the resupply of naval vessels.

Thanks to CHINFO on 22 November

Executive Summary:

• Multiple outlets reported that President Trump tweeted that the Navy will not take away Chief Petty Officer Edward Gallagher's Trident pin.

• Defense & Aerospace Report reported on CNO Adm. Mike Gilday's November 12 NAVADMIN message on promoting a culture of excellence in the Navy.

• In a last-minute reversal, New York Times reports South Korea did not let the General Security of Military Information Agreement expire.

• Reuter's reports the U.S. Navy conducted back-to-back freedom of navigation operations in the South China Sea with a destroyer and a littoral combat ship.

Today in History

November 23


The city of Seville, Spain, surrenders to Ferdinand III of Castile after a two-year siege.


John Hancock is elected president of the Continental Congress for the second time.


Union forces win the Battle of Orchard Knob, Tennessee.


The Battle of Chattanooga, one of the most decisive battles of the American Civil War, begins (also in Tennessee).


Italian tenor Enrico Caruso makes his American debut in a Metropolitan Opera production of Verdi's Rigoletto.


Russo-German talks break down because of Russia's insistence to consult France.


The Wright brothers form a million-dollar corporation for the commercial manufacture of their airplanes.


President Warren G. Harding signs the Willis Campell Act, better known as the anti-beer bill. It forbids doctors to prescribe beer or liquor for medicinal purposes.


President Franklin D. Roosevelt recalls the American ambassador from Havana, Cuba, and urges stability in the island nation.


The United States and Great Britain agree on a 5-5-3 naval ratio, with both countries allowed to build five million tons of naval ships while Japan can only build three. Japan will denounce the treaty.


The United States abandons the American embassy in Madrid, Spain, which is engulfed by civil war.


U.S. troops move into Dutch Guiana to guard the bauxite mines.


The film Casablanca premieres in New York City.


U.S. Marines declare the island of Tarawa secure.


Wartime meat and butter rationing ends in the United States.


North Korea signs 10-year aid pact with Peking.


Four men hijack an American plane, with 87 passengers, from Miami to Cuba.


In Europe's biggest earthquake since 1915, 3,000 people are killed in Italy.


US Pres. Ronald Reagan signs top secret directive giving the CIA authority to recruit and support Contra rebels in Nicaragua.


The first all-woman expedition to South Pole sets off from Antarctica on the part of a 70-day trip; the group includes 12 Russians, 3 Americans and 1 Japanese.


The first Smartphone, IBM Simon, introduced at COMDEX in Las Vegas, Nevada.


Ellen Johnson Sirleaf elected president of Liberia; she is the first woman to lead an African nation.


In the second-deadliest day of sectarian violence in Iraq since the beginning of the 2003 war, 215 people are killed and nearly 260 injured by bombs in Sadr City.


Yemeni President Ali Abullah Saleh signs a deal to to transfer power to the vice president, in exchange for legal immunity; the agreement came after 11 months of protests.


November 22

President John F. Kennedy is assassinated

John Fitzgerald Kennedy, the 35th president of the United States, is assassinated while traveling through Dallas, Texas, in an open-top convertible.

First lady Jacqueline Kennedy rarely accompanied her husband on political outings, but she was beside him, along with Texas Governor John Connally and his wife, for a 10-mile motorcade through the streets of downtown Dallas on November 22. Sitting in a Lincoln convertible, the Kennedys and Connallys waved at the large and enthusiastic crowds gathered along the parade route. As their vehicle passed the Texas School Book Depository Building at 12:30 p.m., Lee Harvey Oswald allegedly fired three shots from the sixth floor, fatally wounding President Kennedy and seriously injuring Governor Connally. Kennedy was pronounced dead 30 minutes later at Dallas' Parkland Hospital. He was 46.

Vice President Lyndon Johnson, who was three cars behind President Kennedy in the motorcade, was sworn in as the 36th president of the United States at 2:39 p.m. He took the presidential oath of office aboard Air Force One as it sat on the runway at Dallas Love Field airport. The swearing in was witnessed by some 30 people, including Jacqueline Kennedy, who was still wearing clothes stained with her husband's blood. Seven minutes later, the presidential jet took off for Washington.

The next day, November 23, President Johnson issued his first proclamation, declaring November 25 to be a day of national mourning for the slain president. On that Monday, hundreds of thousands of people lined the streets of Washington to watch a horse-drawn caisson bear Kennedy's body from the Capitol Rotunda to St. Matthew's Catholic Cathedral for a requiem Mass. The solemn procession then continued on to Arlington National Cemetery, where leaders of 99 nations gathered for the state funeral. Kennedy was buried with full military honors on a slope below Arlington House, where an eternal flame was lit by his widow to forever mark the grave.

READ MORE: Why the Public Stopped Believing the Government about JFK's Murder

Lee Harvey Oswald, born in New Orleans in 1939, joined the U.S. Marines in 1956. He was discharged in 1959 and nine days later left for the Soviet Union, where he tried unsuccessfully to become a citizen. He worked in Minsk and married a Soviet woman and in 1962 was allowed to return to the United States with his wife and infant daughter. In early 1963, he bought a .38 revolver and rifle with a telescopic sight by mail order, and on April 10 in Dallas he allegedly shot at and missed former U.S. Army general Edwin Walker, a figure known for his extreme right-wing views. Later that month, Oswald went to New Orleans and founded a branch of the Fair Play for Cuba Committee, a pro-Castro organization. In September 1963, he went to Mexico City, where investigators allege that he attempted to secure a visa to travel to Cuba or return to the USSR. In October, he returned to Dallas and took a job at the Texas School Book Depository Building.

Less than an hour after Kennedy was shot, Oswald killed a policeman who questioned him on the street near his rooming house in Dallas. Thirty minutes later, Oswald was arrested in a movie theater by police responding to reports of a suspect. He was formally arraigned on November 23 for the murders of President Kennedy and Officer J.D. Tippit.

On November 24, Oswald was brought to the basement of the Dallas police headquarters on his way to a more secure county jail. A crowd of police and press with live television cameras rolling gathered to witness his departure. As Oswald came into the room, Jack Ruby emerged from the crowd and fatally wounded him with a single shot from a concealed .38 revolver. Ruby, who was immediately detained, claimed that rage at Kennedy's murder was the motive for his action. Some called him a hero, but he was nonetheless charged with first-degree murder.

READ MORE: The Other Victims of the JFK Assassination

Jack Ruby, originally known as Jacob Rubenstein, operated strip joints and dance halls in Dallas and had minor connections to organized crime. He features prominently in Kennedy-assassination theories, and many believe he killed Oswald to keep him from revealing a larger conspiracy. In his trial, Ruby denied the allegation and pleaded innocent on the grounds that his great grief over Kennedy's murder had caused him to suffer "psychomotor epilepsy" and shoot Oswald unconsciously. The jury found Ruby guilty of "murder with malice" and sentenced him to die.

In October 1966, the Texas Court of Appeals reversed the decision on the grounds of improper admission of testimony and the fact that Ruby could not have received a fair trial in Dallas at the time. In January 1967, while awaiting a new trial, to be held in Wichita Falls, Ruby died of lung cancer in a Dallas hospital.

The official Warren Commission report of 1964 concluded that neither Oswald nor Ruby were part of a larger conspiracy, either domestic or international, to assassinate President Kennedy. Despite its firm conclusions, the report failed to silence conspiracy theories surrounding the event, and in 1978 the House Select Committee on Assassinations concluded in a preliminary report that Kennedy was "probably assassinated as a result of a conspiracy" that may have involved multiple shooters and organized crime. The committee's findings, as with those of the Warren Commission, continue to be widely disputed.

READ MORE: What Physics Reveals About the JFK Assassination


A couple of interesting articles from the Naval History and Heritage Command

WWII@75: Liscome Bay

On Nov. 24, 1943, 75 years ago, Japanese submarine I-175 sank USS Liscome Bay southeast of Makin Island. Although 272 of the crew were rescued, the ship lost 646 Sailors, including Navy Cross recipient Cook 3rd Class Doris "Dorie" Miller. Miller received the Navy Cross from Adm. Chester W. Nimitz for heroism onboard USS West Virginia during the Pearl Harbor attack on Dec. 7, 1941. After carrying several wounded Sailors to safety, including the ship's captain, Miller manned a Browning antiaircraft machine gun—on which he had no training—and proceeded to fire on the enemy until he ran out of ammunition and was ordered to abandon ship. Miller was assigned to Liscome Bay in the spring of 1943 and was onboard the escort carrier during Operation Galvanic, the seizure of Makin and Tarawa Atolls in the Gilbert Islands. A single torpedo, which detonated the aircraft bomb magazine, hit the ship while cruising near Butaritari Island. It sank within minutes.

A 1972 Solar Strom Triggered a Vietnam War Mystery

On Aug. 4, 1972, U.S. pilots saw something unexpected while flying south of Haiphong Harbor in North Vietnam—more than two dozen sea mines exploding in the water suddenly and without apparent explanation. Now, the four-decades-old naval mystery has been solved according to an engineering professor and her colleagues. Delores Knipp reports, "the mines were likely triggered by magnetized gas flung at Earth from a recent solar storm." The research uncovered a chain of events around the Sun and Earth that has largely been lost to history. Floodgates of information came from a naval report, declassified sometime around 1990, that discussed the spontaneous detonations of sea mines. The mines had been part of a Vietnam War campaign dubbed "Operation Pocket Monkey." "I started reading this report, and I said 'wow, this really happened,'" Knipp said. To learn more, read the post at ScienceBlog.

No Armistice for Navy Football in 1918

On Nov. 16, 1918—just five days after World War I had ended—the U.S. Navy football team exhibited America's newfound might by destroying its opponent 127–0 (still a school record today). The victim of the rout was Pity Ursinus College from Collegeville, PA, and the game was played at Farragut Field in Annapolis, MD. Navy, coached by "Gloomy" Gil Dobie, led 75–0 before putting in the second string. The reserves continued the thrashing by scoring another 52 points in the second half of the game. Their 127-point total was one short of the then-national college mark set six days earlier when Georgia Tech beat North Carolina State 128–0. To learn more, read the article in the Capital Gazette. To learn more about the tradition of sports in the Navy, visit the Navy athletics page at NHHC's website.


thanks to Tam

China IS the enemy: they have the will, they have the means, and Obama gave them the keys to the city!


A purported agent of the Chinese intelligence service is seeking asylum in Australia, bringing with him explosive allegations of widespread interference in political affairs in that country, Taiwan and elsewhere. He claims also to have run a cyberterrorism campaign against supporters of Hong Kong independence.

Wang "William" Liqiang indicated to Australian news outlet The Age that during a deep-cover assignment intended to manipulate the 2020 presidential election in Taiwan, he decided to defect and expose the Chinese networks from abroad.

In addition to The Age, Wang spoke with The Sydney Morning Herald and 60 Minutes; the various outlets appear to be planning a broader release of the contents of his interviews on Monday.

Wang has reportedly explained in detail the inner workings of a Hong Kong-listed company called China Innovation Investment Limited, which the government has allegedly been using as a front to infiltrate various universities, political groups and media companies.

He claims to have personally been involved in the infamous kidnapping of Lee Bo and other booksellers in Hong Kong whose disappearance prompted widespread protests.

He also says that he helped direct a "cyber army" to dox, attack and otherwise harass Hong Kong's independence protestors, and that he was working on establishing one to affect the 2020 election in Taiwan.

Operations in Australia and other countries were implied but not detailed in initial reports of Wang's defection. He is reportedly currently at an undisclosed location in Sydney pending formal protections from the Australian government.

More information is expected to be revealed on Monday by the outlets Wang spoke to, so stay tuned.


thanks to Doctor Rich and Dutch

Thanks to Todd …. the real heroes of Vietnam …

A day in the life of a dust off pilot | Doug Petersen | TED Talk


Thanks to Carl

Delta Force veteran from 'Black Hawk Down' dies at 64

Jeff Kolkey, Rockford Register Star

November 16, 2019

ROCKFORD — Delta Force sniper Sgt. First Class James P. McMahon's face was so badly battered and cut, "he looked like he was wearing a fright mask" as he stood atop a downed Black Hawk helicopter and pulled free the body of a fellow soldier from the wreckage.

That's the first description of McMahon in the book by journalist Mark Bowden called "Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War." It is a detailed account of the horrific Battle of the Black Sea fought in the streets of Mogadishu, Somalia, in October 1993. It claimed the lives of 18 elite American soldiers.

Among the survivors was McMahon, a 1972 Durand High School graduate who served in the U.S. Army for nearly three decades.

Friends and family along with fellow soldiers and veterans on Saturday will lay McMahon to rest at St. Mary Catholic Cemetery in Durand. He died Nov. 5 at age 64, according to his obituary, which did not reference a cause of death.

A McCorkle Funeral Home director said family members did not wish to comment.

The obituary says that McMahon served 16 years in the U.S. Army's 75th Ranger Regiment and then later as a member of the elite Delta Force. He retired in 2002 with the rank of sergeant-major. He went on to work as a defense contractor overseas and in the United States. And since 2013, worked as a special operations instructor at Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

McMahon was aboard one of two Black Hawk helicopters brought down by rocket-propelled grenades during Operation Gothic Serpent. What began as a humanitarian mission to feed the hungry being starved by Somali warlords in Africa became a combat operation after U.S. soldiers were attacked in August 1993 by forces directed by one of the warlords, Gen. Mohammed Farah Aidid, according to "Black Hawk Down" and other sources.

McMahon was one of 99 elite soldiers who were part of Task Force Ranger, consisting of Rangers, Delta Force and others, sent to capture lieutenants of Aidid's Habr Gidr militia. They were ambushed and found themselves "surrounded and trapped in an ancient African city fighting for their lives," Bowden wrote.

A mission that was supposed to last an hour turned into a ferocious 15-hour battle for survival in a hostile city. In addition to the soldiers who were killed, 73 were wounded, a pilot was captured and held captive for 11 days and the U.S. was horrified by television images of angry mobs abusing the bodies of American soldiers.

McMahon, who continued to fight until reinforcements arrived, was awarded the Purple Heart and the Silver Star for valor, according to his obituary.

"The Battle of the Black Sea was perceived outside the special operations community as a failure. It was not, at least in strictly military terms," Bowden wrote in the epilogue of his book. "It was a complex, difficult and dangerous assignment, and despite terrible setbacks and losses, and against overwhelming odds, the mission was accomplished."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

THE MYSTERIOUS PHONE CALL Jack Blanchard's Column February 13, 2021

        Thousands of readers around the world ...