Tuesday, October 15, 2019

TheList 5121

The List 5121 TGB

To All,

I hope that your week has started well.


Today in Naval History

October 15

1917 USS Cassin (DD 43) is torpedoed by German submarine U 61 off the coast of Ireland. In trying to save the ship, Gunner's Mate 1st Class Osmond Kelly Ingram is killed. Ingram is posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroism and, in 1919, becomes the first enlisted man to have a ship named for him.

1943 USS Tullibee (SS 284) attacks a 10-ship Japanese convoy in Formosa Strait and sinks the transport Chicago Maru.

1948 The first women officers on active duty are sworn in as commissioned officers in the Regular Navy under the Womens Armed Services Integration Act of June 1948 by Secretary of the Navy John L. Sullivan. The women are Capt. Joy B. Hancock, Lt. Cmdr. Winifred R. Quick, Lt. Cmdr. Anne King, Lt. Cmdr. Frances L. Willoughby, Lt. Ellen Ford, Lt. Doris Cranmore, Lt. j.g. Doris A. Defenderfer, and Lt. j.g. Betty Rae Tennant.

1955 The Navy sets the world speed record for the 500 km closed circuit course at Muroc, Calif. when Lt. Gordon Gray flies an A-4D Skyhawk at 695.163 mph.

1965 U.S. Naval Support Activity Da Nang, Vietnam is established. During the Vietnam War, it becomes the U.S. Navys largest overseas logistics command. In 1973, U.S. Naval Support Activity Da Nang is disestablished.

1992 HS-14 becomes the first U.S. squadron to land aircraft on the deck of Russian warship, when an SH-3H Sea King set down onto Udaloy-class destroyer Admiral Vinogradov during joint exercises in the Persian Gulf.

Thanks to CHINFO

Executive Summary:

• President Trump announced on Monday that the U.S. will impose sanctions on Turkey in response to Turkey's invasion of Syria, multiple outlets report

• The New York Times reports that violence continues to escalate in Hong Kong, as a homemade bomb was detonated on Sunday.

• USNI News reported Friday that Secretary of Defense Mark Esper had not extended the deployment of the Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group despite the troop buildup in Saudi Arabia.

Today in History October 15


Ottoman armies under Suleiman end their siege of Vienna and head back to Belgrade.


The Gregorian (or New World) calendar is adopted in Italy, France, Spain, and Portugal; and the preceding ten days are lost to history.


Francois Pilatre de Rozier makes the first manned flight in a hot air balloon. The first flight was let out to 82 feet, but over the next few days the altitude increased up to 6,500 feet.


During the land defeat of the British on the Thames River in Canada, the Indian chief Tecumseh, now a brigadier general with the British Army (War of 1812), is killed.


For the second time, the Confederate submarine H L Hunley sinks during a practice dive in Charleston Harbor, this time drowning its inventor along with seven crew members.


Thomas A. Edison founds the Edison Electric Light Co.


Victorio, feared leader of the Minbreno Apache, is killed by Mexican troops in northwestern Chihuahua, Mexico.


An attempt to rob two banks in Coffeyville, Kan., ends in disaster for the Dalton gang as four of the five outlaws are killed and Emmet Dalton is seriously wounded.


Captain Alfred Dreyfus, a Jewish army officer, is arrested for betraying military secrets to Germany.


Congress passes the Clayton Anti-Trust Act, which labor leader Samuel Gompers calls "labor's charter of freedom." The act exempts unions from anti-trust laws; strikes, picketing and boycotting become legal; corporate interlocking directorates become illegal, as does setting prices which would effect a monopoly.


Mata Hari, a Paris dancer, is executed by the French after being convicted of passing military secrets to the Germans.


German ZR-3 flies 5000 miles, the furthest Zeppelin flight to date.


Odessa, a Russian port on the Black Sea which has been surrounded by German troops for several weeks, is evacuated by Russian troops.


Vichy French Premier Pierre Laval is executed by a firing squad for his wartime collaboration with the Germans.


President Harry Truman meets with General Douglas MacArthur at Wake Island to discuss U.N. progress in the Korean War.


Nikita Khrushchev is replaced by Leonid Brezhnev as leader of the Soviet Union.


Huey P. Newton and Bobby Seale establish the Black Panther Party, an African-American revolutionary socialist political group, in the US.


Rallies for The Moratorium to End the War in Vietnam draw over 2 million demonstrators across the US, a quarter million of them in the nation's capital.


The Great Storm of 1987 strikes the UK and Europe during the night of Oct 15-16, killing over 20 people and causing widespread damage.


Canadian hockey player Wayne Gretzky makes his 1,851st goal, breaking the all-time scoring record in the National Hockey League.


Mikhail Gorbachev, leader of the USSR, receives Nobel Peace Prize for his work in making his country more open and reducing Cold War tensions.


Andy Green of the UK becomes the first person to break the sound barrier in the Earth's atmosphere, driving the ThrustSSC supersonic car to a record 763 mph (1,228 km/h).


China launches its first manned space mission, Shenzhou I.


New Zealand police arrest 17 people believed to be part of a paramilitary training camp.


Dow Jones Industrial Average plummets 733.08 points, the second-largest percentage drop in the Dow's history.


Protests break out in countries around the globe, under the slogan "United for Global Democracy."

Thanks to Roger The passing of a real American Hero from the pivotal Battle of Midway

Passing of last Battle of Midway Carrier Pilot - CDR Robert "Soupy" Campbell

From: Specht, Gary A CTR NWDC
Subject: FW: Passing of last Battle of Midway Carrier Pilot - CDR Robert "Soupy" Campbell

It is with deep regret that I inform you of the passing of a Navy hero - Commander Robert "Soupy" Campbell on 11 Sep 2018 at age 101, the last known carrier pilot who participated in the Battle of Midway (and who also participated in raids on Wake and Marcus Islands, the escort of the carrier Hornet for the Doolittle Raid, and the battles of Guadalcanal, Eastern Solomons, and Santa Cruz. As a dive bomber pilot, he participated in the attack on the Japanese carrier Soryu on the morning of 4 Jun 1942 (Battle of Midway,) shot down two Japanese dive bombers near Guadalcanal, and participated in the attack that sank the Japanese light carrier Ryujo at the Battle of Eastern Solomons. He was awarded a Navy Cross for his actions at Midway.

My thanks to RADM Boris Becker at SPAWAR who notified me and forwarded the following biography, which I can't really improve upon.

From Larry Wahl CDR., USN(Ret)

September 11, 2018 I regret to inform you that CDR. Robert Campbell died this past Saturday at the age of 101. He was believed to be the last surviving carrier pilot from the Battle of Midway Is. His wife Elizabeth, two years younger, plans to remain in their 1929 farm house where they have lived for 50 years. He was a guest of Tailhook in 2017 where he was honored for his longevity, having received his wings in April, 1941, and 166 straight deck traps during WW2. There will be no service at the request of CDR. Campbell. If I can be of any assistance please call or email.

Robert K. (Soupy) Campbell, CDR., USN (ret)
DOB: August 18, 1917 Mildred, KS

Cdr. Campbell graduated from Paseo High School, Kansas City, KS in 1934. He became enthralled with aviation flying with his cousin who was a TWA pilot. He joined the Missouri National Guard in 1936 and spent time mapping KS, OK, MO and TX bases used in WW1. So as not to be sent to the Army he transferred to the U.S. Navy in 1940 and to Flight School in September 1940.

Bob earned his Wings and a commission as an Ensign in April 1941 having flown the N3N "Yellow Peril" and N2N Stearman. He then joined VB-3, Commanded by then Cdr Max Leslie, aboard the USS Saratoga (CV-3) flying the SBD Douglas Dauntless. Arriving at Pearl Harbor December 11, 1941 they refueled and took on stores and proceeded toward Gilbert and Marshall Islands. After taking a Japanese torpedo the Saratoga off-loaded the air wing and Ensign Campbell sailed on the USS Enterprise (CV-6) attacking Wake and Marcus Islands.

The Enterprise next joined the USS Hornet (CV-8) as escort for the Doolittle Raid on Japan. Ensign Campbell, while on a scouting mission encountered one of the picket ships and bombed it before returning to the Enterprise. Returning to Pearl Harbor VB-3 stood down then transferred to the USS Yorktown (CV-5) and sailed for Midway where he flew a bombing mission against Japanese Carrier Soryu on June 4. The Soryu was badly damaged and later scuttled. As the flight was returning to the Yorktown, she was hit by Japanese bombers and his flight was diverted to the Enterprise. That same day VB-3 including Ensign Campbell flew another sortie from the Enterprise against the Japanese Carrier Hiryu disabling her. On June 5th and 6th he flew 2 more bombing missions attacking Japanese Cruisers. For his actions at the Battle of Midway Ensign Campbell was awarded the NAVY CROSS.

Following Midway, still flying the SBD Dauntless he participated in the Battles of Guadalcanal and Soloman Islands where he shot down 2 Japanese Aichi dive bombers. Later that month he was part of the force that attacked the Carrier Ryujo resulting in its sinking. He flew against Japanese forces in the Battle of Santa Cruz attacking ships supporting Japanese resupply of Guadalcanal. Against his wishes Campbell was reassigned back to the states to become a flight instructor. He had accumulated over 1000 hours and 140 carrier landings, mostly in combat.

After his tours as a flight instructor Campbell assumed command of VB-14, flying the SB2C Curtis Dive Bomber (affectionately known as "The Beast"). VB-14 was assigned to the USS Intrepid (CV-11). They were to be in the early part of the invasion of Japan but arrived just in time for the Surrender so they were given Occupation duty which included flying throughout Japan.

Over the next 12 months Campbell flew all over the world including China, Egypt, Algiers, Italy, Hong Kong, Singapore, Suez Canal and back to Norfolk Va. Late in 1946 Campbell was assigned to "Operation High Jump", the Adm. Byrd expedition to the Antarctic where Campbell and crew did surveying of the coastline. His next duty was at NAS Patuxent River as a Test pilot in the Service Test Unit. Then he was off to Monterey, Ca to the Naval Post Graduate School for Navy Line School.

Completing PG School Cdr Campbell received orders to take command of VU-5 in Guam allowing him to fly all over the Western Pacific as part of his job, including Korea which was at war by this time. By this time he had flown nearly every aircraft in the Navy inventory. CDR Campbell spent the next few years In the Bureau of Aeronautics (BuAir), the 14th Naval District in Barbers Point, HA, OIC of NATTC Memphis and lastly as Inspector of Naval Contracts for Industrial Security at Treasure Island, CA. This position required him to fly throughout 7 Western states performing inspections. CDR Campbell retired in 1962 having done what every Naval Aviator wishes, and that is to fly every year while in the Navy.

After the Navy, CDR Campbell worked for several large companies in corporate security and personnel management. He later sold real estate in the bay area.

In May of 1967 Bob married the former Elizabeth Von Rosseler. In 1971 they settled near Chico, Ca. They enjoyed golf, skiing and traveling over the years. Bob graduated with a Business degree from Chico State in 1973. Their home is a 1929 farm house they purchased nearly 50 years ago and where they still live today.

CDR Bob Campbell had a Naval career that any aviator would envy. He flew bi-planes, carrier based prop planes, multi-engine, sea planes, jet and helicopter aircraft. He accumulated 3586 mishap free hours. He had no bail outs, never ditched or ejected. Cdr Campbell successfully made 166 Aircraft Carrier Landings on 5 different Straight Deck Carriers.

CDR Campbell is the last known living American Carrier Pilot of the Battle of Midway.

He is a Naval Aviation Treasure as well as a National Treasure. His words to live by are:

May I deal with honor

May I act with integrity

May I achieve humility


(If you want to understand why we have such a dumbed down society today, please WATCH the video below. This helps explain why we are in such a dire situation today!)

The Progressive Agenda to Dumb Down America's Children

At the 48th Phyllis Schlafly's Eagle Council, we sat down with Alex Newman, author of "Crimes of the Educators: How Utopians Are Using Government Schools to Destroy America's Children."

We discuss the high levels of illiteracy in America and what Alex Newman sees as the progressive agenda taking over the American school system to promote a collectivist, socialist, atheist worldview. And we look at what role individuals like John Dewey, Horace Mann, and Robert Owen played in transforming the US education system.



Thanks to Dutch who knows what it took to build this beautiful machine

thanks to Marathon -

An awesome build!!


Allison engine DC-3 prop


Thanks to Dutch I just could not resist this one, I almost blew my hot tea out my nose

thanks to Ben

Two aliens landed in the Arizona desert near a gas station that was closed for the night. They approached one of the gas pumps and the younger alien addressed it saying,

"Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace. Take us to your leader."

The gas pump, of course, didn't respond.

The younger alien became angry at the lack of response. The older alien said, "I'd calm down if I were you"

The younger alien ignored the warning and repeated his greeting. Again, there was no response.

Pissed at the pump's haughty attitude, he drew his ray gun and said gruffly, "Greetings, Earthling.

We come in peace. Take us to your leader or I will fire!"

The older alien again warned his comrade saying, "You probably don't want to do that! I really think that will make him mad."

"Rubbish", replied the young alien. He aimed his weapon and opened fire.

There was a huge explosion. A massive fireball roared towards him and blew the younger alien, off his feet and threw him in a burnt, smoking mess about 200 yards away into a cactus patch.

Half an hour passed. When he finally regained consciousness, he refocused his three eyes, straightened his bent antenna, and looked dazedly at the older, wiser alien who was standing over him shaking his big, green head.

"What a ferocious creature!" exclaimed the young, fried alien. "He damn near killed me! How did you know he was so dangerous?"

The older alien leaned over, placed a friendly feeler on his crispy friend and replied, "If there's one thing I've learned during my intergalactic travels, you never mess with a guy who can loop his dick over his shoulder twice and then stick it in his ear."


Thanks to Dutch …This is a repeat but worth the watching and listening

Spads in Vietnam

Thanks to Farmer Tom


Thought you might enjoy this.

SPADS WITH A LOAD | jetpilots

SPADS WITH A LOAD | jetpilots


Lemon Pickers Needed in Florida

Lemon Pickers Needed in Florida

Only US citizens or legal immigrants need apply

The newspaper ad read: "Lemon Pickers Needed…"

Ms. Sally Mulligan of Coral Springs, Florida read it and decided to apply for one of the jobs that most Americans are not willing to do. She submitted her application for a job in a Florida lemon grove, but she seemed far too qualified for the job.

She has a liberal arts degree from the University of Michigan and a master's degree from Michigan State University.

For a number of years, she had worked as a social worker and also as a school teacher.

The foreman studied her application, frowned and said, "I see that you are well educated and have an impressive resume. However, I have to ask you, have you had any actual experience in picking lemons?"

"Well, as a matter of fact, I have," she said "I've been divorced three times, owned two Chryslers, voted twice for Obama and once for Hillary."

She started work yesterday.


Thanks to Carl…..Read the URL below for the whole story


Lost for 78 Years, a Pearl Harbor Sailor Finally Comes home

The Associated Press

CORBIN, Ky. (AP) — Machinist's Mate 1st Class Ulis Claud Steely came home for the first time in more than 78 years.

When the sailor first left home in 1934, it was with Annapolis aspirations. His dad, the Rev. Edward Steely of Poplar Grove Missionary Baptist Church in Corbin, signed his enlistment papers in Lexington when Ulis was just 17.

When he came home on Oct. 3, it was in a flag-draped casket.

Nine Japanese torpedoes capsized the battleship Oklahoma on Dec. 7, 1941 at Pearl Harbor. Steely was on board. He was thought lost forever.

The ship sat upside-down in the harbor for three years, and 429 sailors, including Steely, were unrecoverable. When the ship was righted, 35 sailors' remains were identified immediately.

Steely, born in a landlocked state whose draw to the ocean drove him to seek a career in the Navy, wasn't one of them. He was buried in Hawaii along with 388 other unidentified sailors.

Disinterred in 1947 for more testing, Steely's remains again weren't identified.

Classified as non-recoverable, he was buried a second time, at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Honolulu.

There he rested until 2015, when scientists exhumed the remains of Steely and his shipmates to test their mitochondrial DNA. This time, things were different.

He was classified "accounted for" in October 2018.

It took two burials, two rounds of testing, travel to at least four states and 78 years. But on Oct. 3, 2019, Machinist's Mate 1st Class Ulis Steely began the long journey home.


Thanks to Carl


'We couldn't see, we couldn't breathe' — Pathbreaking Navy aviator turned hero pilot reveals close Southwest Flight 1380 came to disaster

Kyle Arnold, The Dallas Morning News

October 10, 2019

DALLAS — The initial shock was so violent from the blown engine on Southwest Airlines Flight 1380 that Tammie Jo Shults thought there had been a midair collision.

"We couldn't see, we couldn't breathe, and a piercing pain stabbed our ears, all while the aircraft snapped into a rapid roll and skidded hard to the left as the nose of the aircraft pitched over, initiating a dive toward the ground," Shults wrote in her book Nerves of Steel, which was released Oct. 8.

Shults, the captain of the plane that now stands as the only fatal flight in Southwest's history, released the new book after 16 months of near-silence about the terrifying flight.

On Flight 1380 on April 17, 2018, from New York's LaGuardia Airport to Dallas Love Field, a fan blade on the left engine broke loose, tore apart the engine and sent debris careening toward the fuselage. Debris shattered a window, causing an explosive decompression. Because of the loss of pressure from the broken window, passenger Jennifer Riordan was nearly sucked out of the plane as passengers tried to pull her back inside. She died later from her injuries.

Nerves of Steel gives a chilling account of how Shults and first officer Darren Ellisor dealt with their own series of emergencies that could have sent the plane plunging into the fields of New Jersey or Pennsylvania.

The powerless engine and hole in the fuselage made the plane difficult to maneuver and they lost more than 18,000 feet of altitude in 18 minutes.

"I wasn't sure how much more battering the aircraft could take before something else failed and we had a worse situation to deal with," Shults wrote. "We obviously needed the big pieces to remain attached in order to land."

In reality, her account said, things could have gone much worse and all 149 passengers aboard might not have made it.

"So many things had gone wrong that day, but so many things had gone right, too," she wrote. "The distance between the explosion and Philadelphia was just the right distance for us to have made it to Philly. We couldn't have made an airport any farther away."

Shults was mostly quiet after the flight, giving one interview to ABC News with Ellisor.

"The whole crew was quiet after that one interview because we had a death on our flight," Shults said in an interview. "We wanted to respect her and her family."

In this image provided by the U.S. Navy, Lt. Tammie Jo Shults, one of the first women to fly Navy tactical aircraft, poses in front of an F/A-18A with Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron (VAQ) 34 in 1992(U.S. Navy/Thomas P. Milne via Associated Press)

Shults did accept an invitation to be inducted into the Texas Women's Hall of Fame, an Oval Office meeting with President Donald Trump and a handful of private speaking engagements. But she said she mostly wanted to put her thoughts into a book, instead of interviews.

Dallas-based Southwest gave Shults as much time off as she wanted, but she returned to flying after three-and-a-half weeks. She's only flown about once a month since the incident as she concentrated on writing her book. She said she wanted to keep her skills up.

Retiring or taking another position in the company was something she considered, she said.

"I don't know why I never considered doing something else," she said.

Nerves of Steel

At the time of the Flight 1380 incident, American aviation was enjoying an unprecedented time of safety without a fatality due to flying on a passenger airline in nine years.

But since then, there are grave concerns about the design of the Boeing 737 Max and the process that went into certifying it. Southwest, her employer, has the largest fleet of 737 Max jets.

Shults said modern aircraft are incredibly safe, but she didn't want to discuss the 737 Max grounding beyond saying she thinks it will be safe to fly when it is certified. Her husband, Dean Shults, flies the 737 Max for Southwest.

Only about a quarter of the 271 pages in Nerves of Steel are dedicated to the fateful flight. The rest chronicles Shults' career from Southwestern farms to training to be one of the first female U.S. Navy pilots.

During that path, she dealt with sexist recruiters and colleagues and plenty who doubted the worthiness of female pilots. She met her husband along the way.

She even got fired once from Southwest because of an incident from her Navy career where a plane she was piloting lost instruments and, on landing, ran past the runway and into mud. Shortly after starting work at the airline, Shults was accused of lying on her resume for omitting the Navy incident, a case that created tension between her and the Southwest Airlines Pilots Association intended to protect her. She got her job back after it was determined the Navy cleared her of error in the case.

Lt. Tammie Jo Shults, one of the first women to fly Navy tactical aircraft, poses in front of an F/A-18A with Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron (VAQ) 34 in 1992(Courtesy photo)

As the book illustrates, it was just another barrier in a series that Shults would have to overcome on her pursuit of becoming a professional pilot. Along the way, she was denied entry into the ranks of pilots, only to find alternative routes.

Shults spends much of the book detailing how her upbeat working-class rural outlook and Christian faith guided her through the tough times, right up until the emergency on Flight 1380, when air traffic control tape caught her muttering "Heavenly Father" while trying to find a way to land a difficult-to-control 737-700.

More than a year later and after rehashing Flight 1380 in her book, Shults said she still plans to keep flying. Even though it will always stay with her, especially Riordan's death, Shults said she isn't traumatized.

She took the book's name from a comment an EMT made to her while checking her blood pressure after she had safely landed the plane. Her blood pressure was normal.

"I don't really think about it when I get into the cockpit," Shults said. "I don't know why. Maybe it's because I've been through a lot of flights where things have gone wrong. It's what I'm trained for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

THE MYSTERIOUS PHONE CALL Jack Blanchard's Column February 13, 2021

        Thousands of readers around the world ...