Friday, June 14, 2019

TheList 5023

The List 5023 TGB

I hope that your week has been going well.



Today in Naval History

June 13

1881 The bark-rigged wooden steamship Jeannette sinks after she is crushed in an Arctic ice pack during the expedition to reach the North Pole through the Bering Strait. Only 13 of her crew survive out of 33.

1900 During the Boxer Rebellion, the International Relief Expedition turns back near Anting, China, and moves to Sanstun after the Tientsin-Peking railroad is cut by the Boxers, whose anti-foreign mantra grew to burning homes and killing foreigners as well as Chinese Christians. In total, 56 Marines and Sailors receive the Medal of Honor for their actions during the Rebellion.

1913 Lt. j.g. P.N.L. Bellinger sets an American altitude record for seaplanes when he reaches 6,200 feet in a Curtiss (A 3) aircraft.

1939 USS Saratoga (CV 3) and USS Kanawha (AO 1) complete a two-day underway refueling test off the coast of southern Calif., demonstrating the feasibility of refueling carriers at sea where bases are not available.

1943 USS Frazier (DD 607) sinks Japanese submarine (I 9), east of Sirius Point, Kiska, Aleutian Islands.

1944 USS Melvin (DD 680) sinks Japanese submarine (RO 36) between 50 and 75 miles east of Saipan. Also on this date USS Barb (SS 220) sinks Japanese army transport Takashima Maru in the Sea of Okhotsk and survives counter-attacks by destroyer Hatsuharu.

1992 USS Maryland (SSBN 738) is commissioned at New London, Conn. Two days later, the 13th out of 18 Ohio-class ballistic missile submarines sails with her Gold Crew to her homeport at Naval Submarine Base, Kings Bay, Ga.

Thanks to CHIINFO

Executive Summary:

• Protesters in Hong Kong blocked roads and restricted access to government buildings in opposition to a proposed extradition bill, according to reports.

• Adm. Robert Burke became Vice Chief of Naval Operations on Monday, taking over for Adm. Bill Moran who will become Chief of Naval Operations later this summer reports USNI News.

• Defense Daily reports that BALTOPS 2019 will emphasize mine warfare and will feature new undersea unmanned vehicles.

• Seapower Magazine reports that USCGC Stratton will deploy Wednesday to the Western Pacific under U.S. 7th Fleet's tactical control.

Today in History June 13


The Marquis de Lafayette arrives in the American colonies to help in their rebellion against Britain.


Confederate forces on their way to Gettysburg clash with Union troops at the Second Battle of Winchester, Virginia.


The U.S. Post Office Department rules that children may not be sent by parcel post.


The French set a trade barrier between occupied Ruhr and the rest of Germany.


Paris is evacuated as the Germans advance on the city.


German spies land on Long Island, New York, and are soon captured.


The first German V-1 buzz-bomb hits London.


Installed by the French, Bao Dai enters Saigon to rule Vietnam.


The New York Times begins publishing the Pentagon Papers.


Israelis withdraw the last of their invading forces from Lebanon.


Sioux Indians are awarded $105 million in compensation for the 1877 U.S. seizure of the Black Hills in South Dakota.


Pioneer 10, already in space for 11 years, leaves the solar system.


Thanks to Tom and Lee for setting the record straight on the circle of cribs story

The circle of cribs is not a true story. I know first hand since I was working at the Pentagon during this time. There was and is no daycare inside the Pentagon. It is located outside the pentagon a hundred yards or so east of it. That is, on the opposite side where the attack occurred. Again I know because that is where my office was located. I happened to be exiting the Pentagon on the east side to go work out when the attack occurred.

Also, from Snopes:

American Flight 77 crashed into Pentagon at 9:43 a.m. on that fateful day. All was confusion in Washington for at least the next hour, with order only gradually emerging from the chaos as various folks tried to work out what had happened, what help was needed where, and whether further attacks were on the way.

There were daycares near the Pentagon, including one located in a building 30 yards from that facility, fortunately on the opposite side from where the airplane struck. Children from these facilities were evacuated by those running those establishments, with help from other sources arriving only well after the fact. There was no group of 40 burly Marines racing into a distressed daycare center to snatch up toddlers and cribs, then forming a defensive ring around the tykes; instead, in the absence of outside assistance, those in charge of the kids fended as best they could for those in their care. For instance, at the Children's World Learning Center at the Pentagon, the teachers sang nursery rhymes to their 138 young charges as they led them to safety.

Here's a link to snopes that refutes the Pentagon story about 40 marines evaluating a day care. I almost didn't send this email because the story is so beautiful, but truth comes first.


Thanks to the Bear and Beak

Concerning the attached 2018 article on the 1967 Israeli attack on the USS Liberty in yesterday's post. The article's comments section included bum dope concerning the actions of Israeli General Iftach Spector, who led the initial strafing attack on the ship. To set the record straight, I quote the following from General Spector's memoir, LOUD AND CLEAR (2008).... (pg. 137-8)

"Then I remembered the simple fact that the Liberty had carried no signs or flags clear enough for two sharp-eyed fighter pilots to discern (and after us, several other pilots, and a number of capable sailors who soon arrived on the scene hadn't seen anything either). So if there was a conspiracy, which in my opinion is nonsense, it had to come from the Liberty herself.

"When I remembered that the Liberty did not identify herself, it cleared up the issue, because neither I nor any other Israeli pilot would have attacked a ship—even a military vessel—that flew an American flag, or for that matter British, French, Chinese,Upper Volta, Schleswig-Holstein, or the flag of the kingdom of the Martians.

"I have no idea what this ship was doing there, in the middle of a war, and why she couldn't have been tapping into our communications from a little further out to sea. In any case, if there was no conspiracy, there certainly was a mistake. Somebody on the Liberty stuck his ship into a forbidden and dangerous place. And while he was there, he didn't do his job: He didn't fly a visible flag, didn't respond in any way to our calls for identification, and didn't signal to our jets when we circled him for long minutes. If he had gotten on deck and sent a flare—any color would have done the trick—or just waved a white sheet, I would not have fired on him.

"This is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth in this affair of the USS Liberty, as far as I know and remember it. And I pray for the souls of those American sailors who perished or who were injured or maimed through no fault of their own."

This testimonial from General Iftach will never sway those who nurture visions of unsubstantiated conspiracy theories about this 52-year-old tragedy. I am not in that camp. I accept the General's conclusion—mistakes were made, and sailors were killed. It wasn't the first time one of our intelligence gatherers made a mistake and it wasn't the last either. Think Pueblo, January 1968... Or, how about what the CIA was doing in Libya when the Benghazi Consulate was destroyed along with four brave souls?


: Article/video on USS LIBERTY. Recommend your readers review General Iftach Spector (IDF) book "Loud and Clear" for a close-up-and-personal view of what really "went down." He led the attack, from the cockpit not from a desk! Also a great view of what it takes to make a REAL combat fighter pilot!



Thanks once again to Admiral Cox and the Naval Historical and Heritage Command (NHHC)

75th anniversary of the invasion of Normandy. By H-hour on Omaha Beach (6:30 a.m., June 6, 1944), not a lot was going right. Heavy seas forced many of the amphibious tanks, which were supposed to land on the beach, to the bottom of the ocean. The shore bombardment was only 30 minutes long, which was inadequate to take out the heavily fortified German division. In addition, many of the bombs missed their intended targets due to overcast conditions. Although Allied forces faced tremendous adversity and a ferocious German fighting force, the landings went relatively well due to extraordinary acts of mass courage and bravery by the ground forces. The U.S. Navy played a critical role in the mighty endeavor by providing key gunfire on enemy forces throughout the battle. Also covered in this H-Gram is the June 1969 collision between USS Frank E. Evans and HMAS Melbourne during the Vietnam War. To learn more, read H-Gram 031 at NHHC's Director's Corner. For more on the D-Day landings, read Operation Neptune: Innovating on the Spot Made D-Day a Success by NHHC historian Greg Bereiter, Ph.D., at The Sextant. It is the latest installment of CNO Adm. John Richardson's initiative "Why We Do What We Do."

Just a note on the Bombardment results which were telling. The B-26 group that bombed above Utah Beach went low under the overcast and dropped their bombs right on target on the bluffs above the beach and the initial landings there went well. The B-24 group that was supposed to bomb above Omaha beach stayed above the overcast and missed their target completely and we all know what happened on that beach. skip

75th Anniversary of World War II
Operation Neptune—the Amphibious Assault on Normandy, 6 June 1944

By H-hour on Omaha Beach (0630, 6 June 1944), pretty much everything had already gone to hell. Of 64 amphibious tanks that were supposed to land on the beach five minutes before the first infantry assault wave, 27 were on the bottom of the ocean, having sunk due to heavy seas. Four additional amphibious tanks had been destroyed when LCT-607 struck a mine and sank. That 28 of the tanks made it ashore was due to Lieutenant Dean Rockwell, USN, commander of LCT Flotilla 12, who assessed the seas as too rough and on his own initiative chose to take the tanks all the way to the beach at great risk to the eight LCTs that received his order. LCT-607 was lost on the way in. Another three tanks reached the beach because Ensign Henry Sullivan, in command of LCT-600, stopped launching tanks after the first one sank and took the rest of them all the way to the beach, also on his own initiative. Of the 28 tanks launched into the water from the other seven LCTs (which didn't get Rockwell's order), only two made the swim of 2–3 miles to the beach; the rest tragically sank with most of their crews.

The loss of the tanks, mostly due to sea conditions and not the enemy, wasn't all that went wrong. The shore bombardment was only 30 minutes long, inadequate to take out most of the heavily fortified and well-concealed German gun positions. The Navy was aware of this based on experience with Japanese-held islands, but the need to minimize the amount of time for the German forces in reserve to react to the landing was considered by the Army to be of overriding importance. The strike by 450 B-24 heavy bombers just before the landing missed the beach due to overcast, and 13,000 bombs went long and did nothing except add to the din. Then, eight LCT(R) "rocket ships" fired 1,080 rockets each, and almost all of them fell short of the beach. Instead of the expected understrength German garrison division, the beach was defended by the first-line 352nd Infantry Division, which had just arrived to defend a beach that was ideally suited to defense.

The first U.S. troops to land at Omaha Beach were slaughtered by the hundreds. Some landing craft never made it to the beach; in others that did, no one got off alive. Navy coxswains whose craft were disabled wound up fighting as infantrymen using weapons taken from the dead. Navy combat demolition units were in the second wave in order to blow beach obstacles; most didn't make it ashore. The same was true for the Navy beach battalions, beachmasters, and naval shore fire control teams. Navy physicians and corpsmen who went ashore in the first waves suffered high casualties, but were noted afterward to be "the bravest of the brave." By 0830, Omaha Beach was so littered with destroyed and damaged landing craft, tanks, vehicles, un-cleared German obstacles (most mined), and hundreds of dead on the beach and drowned in the rising tide that the senior surviving Navy beachmaster called a halt to any further landings other than assault troops.

Although the Germans fought ferociously at the other four Normandy beaches, those landings went relatively well. However, at Omaha, the Germans were winning when several U.S. destroyers, acting on their own initiative, closed to within 800–1,000 yards of the beach (one to 400 yards, close enough to be hit by rifle fire). They found ways to innovate on the spot to provide fire support to troops without benefit of shore spotting (most of the troops' radios had been lost in the surf). By 0950, all the U.S. destroyers plus three British destroyers were ordered to close the beach, risking mines, shore battery fire, and the likelihood of running aground in the shallows. As the fire from the destroyers finally began to take a serious toll on the German defenders, in one of the most extraordinary acts of mass courage in the history of the United States Army, with many of their leaders dead, the surviving soldiers fought their way up the 100-foot bluffs backing the beach. It was this epic bravery by the U.S. Army soldiers that carried the day at bloody Omaha Beach and their extraordinary valor should never be forgotten. However, in the words of the chief of staff of the 1st Infantry Division, Colonel Stanhope Mason, "without that gunfire [from the destroyers], we positively could not have crossed the beaches." In the words of the V Corps commander, Major General Leonard Gerow, after he finally got ashore, "Thank God for the U.S. Navy."

There are no comprehensive figures for U.S. Navy casualties on D-day that I can find, although one footnote in a medical report gives a number of 363 dead and 2,020 wounded. During the dedication of the Navy Memorial at Normandy in 2008, the figure of 1,068 Navy dead was cited, but not from an authoritative source, and that number would certainly include losses in the weeks before and after D-Day. In almost every account of D-Day, Navy losses are just rolled into overall Allied losses, generally considered to be about 10,000 casualties, of which 2,500 died (although recent research suggests a significantly higher toll of about 4,500 dead, mostly on Omaha Beach). Navy personnel climbed Pointe du Hoc with the Army Rangers, parachuted in with the airborne troops, manned the landing craft (along with many U.S. Coast Guard coxswains), and served in numerous roles in the first waves of the landing, suffering high casualties. Determining exactly how many of those men died is a challenge.

The U.S. Navy did, of course, keep an accurate count of how many warships were lost, and, in that regard, the week after D-Day was much more costly to the Navy than D-Day itself. The largest U.S. Navy ship lost on D-Day was the destroyer USS Corry (DD-463), hit by German shore fire and then probably succumbing to a mine in the opening moments of the bombardment of Utah Beach, in addition to the minesweeper Osprey (AM-56) and numerous amphibious craft, including 9 LCIs and 26 LCTs. But in the days that followed, the destroyers Glennon (DD-620) and Meredith (DD-726), destroyer escort Rich (DE-695), the minesweeper Tide (AM-125), five LSTs, and the troop transport Susan B. Anthony (AP-72) were sunk by the Germans, mostly by mines, as they protected the vital flow of more troops and supplies into the Normandy beachhead.

Although the great majority of ships involved in the invasion were British Royal Navy, and the ground troops of the United States, United Kingdom, and Canada deserve the credit for defeating the Germans ashore, the U.S. Navy played an absolutely critical part in what Supreme Allied Commander General Dwight D. Eisenhower, termed "the great crusade" to defeat Germany and rid the world of Nazi tyranny.

For more on Operation Neptune, please see attachment H-031-1.

Click on the URL above for an incredible indepth history of the Navy on D-Day

If it does not work let me know and I will send it separately


Standing up for your troops

Thanks to Jim

On the HAL-3 piece…

I had a petty officer last name Stayton I think, that worked for me in VF-161. He was one of only a few Navy enlisted men to get the Navy Cross in the war. He was in Hal-3 as a door gunner that responded to 2 Brown water boats caught on a VC cross fire with men in the water. Slayton jumped into the water with an M-16 returning fire as he dragged two men into a position out of the line of fire. He was wounded twice.

In May 1973, I get a call from COMFIT that he is to receive the NC. This requires a 4 star or Navy Secretary, and the full base in dress uniform formation. Stayton says I don't want the award if I have to force my friends to stand in formation in dress gear.

I go back to COMFIT and relay this. The Admiral says he won't change the reg. Slayton says then I don't want it.

I said to the admiral, he did the deed, he should get what he wants.

It was arranged to have CINC Pac Flt present the award to Stayton in COMFIT's office surrounded by a few friends and relatives, in dungarees and chambre cloths.

A very humble kid that was painting planes for me.

Click below to read the citation

The real facts


Thanks to Robert

Enjoy a trip down Memory Lane compliments of a fellow in Hillsboro, TX..

Don't miss this if you're into yesterday!!

Life was good !! 2okbl6SRRbg

Fallujah Vet Will Be First Living Medal of Honor Recipient from Iraq War

Staff Sgt. David Bellavia. (Screenshot via DVIDs)7 Jun 2019

A former Army staff sergeant who took on enemy fighters at close range, first with an M249 light machine gun and then with a knife, will be the first living veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom to receive the Medal of Honor, has learned.

David S. Bellavia, 43, of Batavia, New York, will have his Silver Star upgraded to the highest military award for valor in a June 25 ceremony at the White House, a source close to Bellavia confirmed to The news of the award was first posted at the American Legion's Burn Pit blog Thursday and then confirmed by Army Times. The White House is expected to announce the award next week.

Bellavia's Silver Star citation, for heroism on Nov. 10, 2004, in Fallujah, Iraq, reads like the script of an action movie. An infantryman with Company A, Task Force 2-2, 1st Infantry Division, Bellavia was ordered with his platoon to clear a 12-building block in which "jihadists" were taking shelter in order to fire on American troops, according to the citation.

After clearing the first nine buildings and finding only weapons caches, Bellavia and four other soldiers entered the tenth and found themselves under fire from insurgents. As more soldiers rushed in to reinforce the five, the close-quarters combat became hot and intense, and troops began to go down with injuries due to small-arms fire and debris.

"At this point, Sergeant Bellavia, armed with an M249 SAW gun, entered the room where the insurgents were located and sprayed the room with gunfire, forcing the Jihadists to take cover and allowing the squad to move out into the street," the citation reads.

In the street, the soldiers came under fire from enemy fighters shooting from the building's roof. As they took cover in an adjacent building, Bellavia went back into the street to call in a Bradley fighting vehicle to shell the structures. He then went back into the first building to see whether any insurgents remained alive, according to the citation.

He would find himself one man pitted against a house full of armed enemy fighters.

"I wanted that revenge. I wanted to be that leader that I promised I would be," Bellavia later said about the fight, according to a 2016 Army release. "A light switch went off."

He first encountered an insurgent with a rocket-propelled grenade launcher and gunned him down.

"A second Jihadist began firing as the soldier ran toward the kitchen, and Bellavia fired back, wounding him in the shoulder," the citation reads. "A third Jihadist began yelling from the second floor. Sergeant Bellavia then entered the uncleared master bedroom and emptied gunfire into all the corners, at which point the wounded insurgent entered the room, yelling and firing his weapon. Sergeant Bellavia fired back, killing the man."

Bellavia continued fighting, killing the insurgent upstairs. Then, another insurgent jumped out of the wardrobe in the bedroom where he was hiding, and began "firing wildly around the room and knocking over the wardrobe."

The insurgent was shot and wounded by Bellavia, but got away. As Bellavia tried to pursue him into the second floor of the building, the soldier slipped on stairs slick with blood. Regaining his footing and climbing the stairs, he threw a fragmentary grenade into the upper room, flushing the insurgent onto the roof.

"Hearing two other insurgents screaming from the third story of the building, Sergeant Bellavia put a choke hold on the wounded insurgent to keep him from giving away their position," the citation reads. "The wounded Jihadist then bit Sergeant Bellavia on the arm and smacked him in the face with the butt of his AK-47. In the wild scuffle that followed, Sergeant Bellavia took out his knife and slit the Jihadist's throat."

He would continue to fight and fell insurgents until he was joined by five other members of the platoon, his citation states.

Bellavia left the Army in 2005 after six years of service and would go on to co-found the political advocacy organization Vets for Freedom. He documented his military experiences in "House to House: An Epic Memoir of War," co-written with John R. Bruning and published in 2007.

The long-awaited and historic Medal of Honor comes as the Pentagon concludes a wide-ranging review of valor awards from the conflicts following Sept. 11, 2001. Bellavia's Medal of Honor upgrade will be the third for the Army and the fifth overall as a result of the review.


Thanks to Dr. Rich

No more boring lawn mowing ...

Love the "… fastest 0-100 mph time in history for a lawn care vehicle." !

Now, if they make a snow blower attachment we'll be ready for next winter !!

mows its way into the record books

Honda's Mean Mower V2 might have wrestled back the title of world's fastest lawnmower for the Japanese factory, with a 150.99-mph (243-km/h) top speed, a power-to-weight ratio better than a Bugatti Chiron and the fastest 0-100 mph time in history for a lawn care vehicle. Read more


Thanks to Dale


I don't know if you have seen this or not. Perhaps The Bubbas might enjoy it.


Some news from around the world

Iran—Tankers Damaged In Suspected Sabotage Attacks In Gulf Of Oman U.S. Naval Forces Central Command | 06/13/2019 The U.S. 5th Fleet says it has responded to a suspected attack on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman. On Thursday morning, the Bahrain-based fleet dispatched the destroyer Bainbridge after receiving two separate distress calls within about 45 minutes. Twenty-one crewmembers of the Kokuka Courageous and 23 crew from the Norwegian-owned Front Altair were evacuated, said operators quoted by BBC News. Iranian naval boats rescued 44 people from the tankers following an accident and transferred them to the Iranian port of Bandar-e Jask, an unidentified source told the state-run Islamic Republic News Agency. A spokesman quoted by Reuters said that the Kokuka Courageous was not in danger of sinking. The owner of the Front Altair confirmed that the vessel caught fire following the incident but denied Iranian reports that it sank. The Taiwanese firm that chartered the ship said it suspected a possible torpedo attack. Other unverified reports suggested the ships may have been attacked with mines. The incident comes a month after attacks on four Emirati tankers in the strategic waterway. Iran is suspected of conducting those attacks. Tehran denies involvement.

USA—Tours Extended For Troops In Europe, Japan As Army Eyes Readiness Improvements Army News Service | 06/13/2019 The U.S. Army has decided to add a year to overseas tours for some soldiers stationed in Europe and Japan, reports the Army News Service. The new policy, which applies to permanent change-of-station orders published after June 14, extends tours from 24 months to 36 months for soldiers with no dependents and who are not married to other servicemembers. Tours for soldiers accompanied by dependents will remain at 36 months. The policy could affect an estimated 3,000 to 5,000 troops each year, according to the service. The goal is to reduce moves and enhance readiness. Less turnover is expected to improve performance at every level as troops will have more time to train with a particular team.

USA—Air Force Sends Squadron Of F-35s To Germany Air Force News Service | 06/13/2019 The U.S. Air Force has deployed a squadron of advanced fighter jets to Spangdahlem Air Base in western Germany as part of a theater security package, reports the Air Force News Service. F-35A Lightning II stealth jets from the 388th Fighter Wing and Reserve 419th Fighter Wing at Hill Air Force Base, Utah, have rotated to Germany as part of the European Deterrence Initiative, the service said on Wednesday. The F-35s from the 421st and 466th Fighter Squadrons arrived at Aviano Air Base in Italy on May 23 to take part in the Astral Knight exercises before moving to Spangdahlem for the remainder of their summer-long deployment. During the deployment, the jets will participate in exercises and train with other Europe-based aircraft as part of efforts to assure partners and allies of the U.S. commitment to regional security. The 421st is the newest Air Force squadron to field the F-35A.

USA—2,000 Troops Could Head To Poland, Says Trump The Hill | 06/13/2019 President Donald Trump says he is considering relocating some 2,000 troops already in Europe to Poland, reports the Hill (Washington, D.C.). Trump made his comments on Wednesday during a meeting with Polish President Andrzej Duda in the White House. He emphasized that no final decisions had been made. The move would involve transferring troops stationed in Germany or another location, Trump said. The U.S. already has 4,000 soldiers based in Poland, noted Fox News. The boost would be intended to deter Russian military activity in the region.

Greece—Army To Bolster Recon Capabilities With Kiowa Warrior Helos From U.S. U.S. Army | 06/13/2019 The U.S. Army Security Assistance Command has delivered dozens of used helicopters to Greece, reports the U.S. Army. Some 16 months after the signing of a letter of offer and acceptance with the U.S., 70 OH-58D Kiowa Warrior armed reconnaissance helicopters and a CH-47D Chinook heavy-lift helicopter were handed over. The aircraft were acquired through the U.S. excess defense articles program. The helicopters had been in long-term storage at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz. The delivery included 36 fully operational Kiowa Warriors, 24 incomplete models for pilot training and 10 airframes for spare parts. The Kiowa Warriors will cover a gap in Greece's attack and observation helicopter capabilities and support the army's plans to establish to operational aviation brigades, Army officials said. The total value of the transfer, including the helicopters, spare parts and special equipment was about US$590 million.

Turkey—Erdogan Says S-400 Deal To Move Forward Despite U.S. Threats Anadolu News Agency | 06/13/2019 Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says the purchase of a Russian air defense system is a "done deal," reports the Anadolu Agency (Ankara). The S-400 surface-to-air missile system has already been purchased and Turkey will receive it in July, Erdogan told members of his Justice and Development Party (AKP) on Wednesday. Erdogan rejected the U.S. stance that purchasing the system would endanger its role in the F-35 program. In addition to paying US$1.25 billion into the program so far, Turkey is a manufacturer of key components, he said. In a press conference with his French counterpart, Jean-Yves Le Drian, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu rejected the ultimatum posed by U.S. acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan last week, reported the Daily Sabah (Istanbul). Turkey will not back down from its decision, said Cavusoglu. Washington has expressed concern that placing the Russian system's radars near the F-35 jet could jeopardize the stealth fighter's secrets. It has begun to take steps to cut Turkey from the program, including seeking new sources for components. The U.S. Air Force suspended F-35 training for Turkish pilots last week.

Philippines—Foreign Ministry Lodges Protest With Beijing Over Sinking Of Fishing Boat Philippine Star | 06/13/2019 The Philippine government has filed a diplomatic protest with China following a controversial incident in the South China Sea, reports the Philippine Star. On Wednesday, Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. confirmed that he had lodged a formal complaint with Beijing. Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana called for an investigation into the June 9 incident, which led to the sinking of a Philippine fishing boat near Reed Bank, reported the Straits Times (Singapore). Lorenzana condemned the "cowardly action" of the Chinese fishing vessel, which he said fled after colliding with the Philippine boat, rather than offering help. A spokesman for the Philippine coast guard said the service was investigating the incident, including the possibility that the offending ship was Vietnamese. The Chinese Foreign Ministry told Reuters that the event was an ordinary maritime incident and criticized the Philippines for politicizing the situation. In 2016, an international tribunal ruled that the Philippines had sovereign rights over resources in Reed Bank. China does not recognize the ruling and claims much of the region as its own.

Singapore—Army Inducts Hunter Armored Fighting Vehicle Singapore Ministry Of Defense | 06/13/2019 The Singapore army has formally inducted a new armored fighting vehicle into service, reports the Singapore Ministry of Defense. During a ceremony on Tuesday, Defense Minister Ng Eng Hen commissioned the Hunter as a replacement for the army's aging M113 armored personnel carriers. The Hunter represents the army's transformation into a next-generation force, the minister said. The vehicle offers better firepower, mobility and protection than the M113 and is the army's first fully digital platform, including a command, control, communications and computer (C4) suite that will enhance networking capabilities and operational effectiveness. The Hunter is armed with a remotely operated weapon station with a 30-mm cannon, coaxial 7.62-mm machine gun and 76-mm smoke grenade launchers. Some variants will also be equipped with anti-tank missiles, according to the defense ministry.

India—Police Nab Head Of Local ISIS Cell In Tamil Nadu State Times Of India | 06/13/2019 Police say they have arrested the head of a local ISIS cell in southern India, reports the Times of India. The National Investigation Agency (NIA) arrested Mohammed Azarudeen on Wednesday in Coimbatore, in the southern Tamil Nadu state. Police seized mobile phones, SIM cards, USB drives, laptops, and other computer accessories in addition to a dagger, electric baton, 300 air-gun pellets and several incriminating documents, reported Asian News International. Six other men were also arrested in seven raids across the city on Wednesday and Thursday, reported the Press Trust of India. Azarudeen was the head of a local ISIS cell who propagated the group's ideology and recruited through social media, authorities said. Police believe that Azarudeen communicated with Zahran Hashim, the mastermind of the Easter bombings in Sri Lanka in April, which killed more than 250 people.

Afghanistan—6 Soldiers Killed In Friendly Fire Incident Washington Post | 06/13/2019 At least six Afghan soldiers have been killed and seven wounded in a case of friendly fire in the northern Kunduz province, reports the Washington Post. On Tuesday, a joint U.S.-Afghan patrol came under heavy machine gun fire, leading them to request air support, said Col. David Butler, a spokesman for U.S. Forces-Afghanistan. The patrol was unaware that the fire was coming from another group of Afghan security personnel positioned nearby, Butler told Task and Purpose. It was unclear if the machine gun fire was deliberately directed at the patrol or if it was a case of mistaken identity.

Yemen—Coalition Jets Hits Sanaa Following After Houthi Missile Attack On Saudi Airport Al Masirah | 06/13/2019 Saudi-led coalition aircraft have attacked targets in Sanaa, the Yemeni capital, reports the Houthi-run Al Masirah television. Witnesses reported at least 10 strikes on three different sites on Thursday. A Houthi camp in the city's western Al-Subahah area was hit at least six times. The coalition also hit central Sanaa and the Bani Hushaysh district to the northeast. There were no immediate reports of casualties. The raids came a day after a Houthi missile struck an airport in southwestern Saudi Arabia, injuring 26 people.

Libya—Airstrikes Rock Tripoli As Fighting Continues Libyan Express | 06/13/2019 Airstrikes have been reported amid fighting in southern Tripoli, reports the Libyan Express. On Thursday, troops loyal to the U.N.-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) attacked positions held by the Libyan National Army (LNA), a patchwork of groups led by Khalifa Haftar and loyal to the government in Tobruk. Fighting was reported near the Tripoli International Airport and other neighborhoods in the southern suburbs. GNA jets struck positions held by Haftar's troops. There were no immediate reports of casualties or damage. On Wednesday, LNA aircraft attacked targets in Mashrou al-Moz and Ain Zara, south of Tripoli, reported the Anadolu Agency (Ankara). Separately, the LNA said on Thursday that it had downed a warplane near the city of Misrata, 125 miles (200 km) to the northeast. The pilot was reportedly killed. Haftar launched an attack to take the capital from the U.N.-backed government in April. Fighting has since largely stalled along the city's southern front.

Sudan—Opposition, Military Agree To Resume Talks Deutsche Welle | 06/13/2019 The opposition in Sudan and the Transitional Military Council (TMC) have agreed to restart talks on the creation of a joint council to oversee the transition to a new government, reports Deutsche Welle. The TMC and the Declaration of Freedom and Change Forces (DFCF) opposition alliance have agreed to resume negotiations, said an Ethiopian envoy on Tuesday. The military also agreed to release political prisoners as a confidence-building measure, said Mahmoud Dirir. In turn, the opposition said on Wednesday that it was suspending the protest strike launched on Sunday. Khaled Omar, an opposition leader, emphasized that the decision was not linked "to any specific political developments." On Tuesday, the U.N. Security Council in a unanimous statement urged both sides to work together to resolve the crisis. Talks broke down last week after the military cracked down on demonstrators in Khartoum, killing dozens of people.

Uganda—New Leader Named For Special Forces Command Daily Monitor | 06/13/2019 The Ugandan Special Forces Command has a new commander, reports the Daily Monitor (Kampala). Maj. Gen. James Birungi succeeds Maj. Gen. Don Nabasa, who is being sent to a training course, said unnamed sources. Birungi most recently served as the chief of staff of the air force. Nabasa took over the SFC in January 2017. The elite unit is responsible for providing security to the Ugandan president as well as special operations.

Mali—Governor Sacked After Attack On Dogon Village APA News (Cameroon) | 06/13/2019 A Malian governor has been fired after a deadly attack in his region, reports the APA News (Cameroon). Sidi Alassane Toure, the governor of the central Mopti region, was removed on Wednesday in response to the June 10 attack on the village of Sobanou, the central government said in a statement. The attack on the ethnic Dogon village was the latest in ongoing ethnic violence in the region. Initial reports indicated that as many as 95 people were killed. The government has since revised the estimate to 35, reported Reuters. Violence has centered on a conflict between Dogon hunters and mainly pastoral Fulani over land and water claims. A March attack on a Fulani village killed about 150 people and led to the resignation of the government. Militants have stoked these tensions to recruit disaffected Malians to extremist groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

THE MYSTERIOUS PHONE CALL Jack Blanchard's Column February 13, 2021

        Thousands of readers around the world ...