HOW TO FIX
WINDOWS UPDATE FAILURE
AND GET YOUR PC BACK
What to do when your computer gets stuck in update mode and it says:
Configuring Windows Updates
Don't Turn Off Your Computer!
1. Go to This PC and open the partition you have your Windows installed on (it’s usually C:)
2. Go to Windows folder
3. In Windows folder, find the folder named Softwaredistribution and open it
4. Open sub-folder Download and delete everything from it (you might need an administrator permission)
5. Now go to Search, type update and open Windows Update Settings
6. Go to Advanced Options and set Notify to schedule restart under Choose how updates are installed
That’s all, your corrupted updates are now deleted and you should be able to check for good ones normally. You don’t have to follow steps 5 and 6 from the resolution above, but we included this because it’s useful to control when you install updates because it won’t interrupt your work and updates could be installed naturally when you want, without any ‘side-effects’ from third-party software.