Thursday, December 13, 2018

TheList 4881

The List 4881 TGB

To All,
I hope that your week has been going well. 
This day in Naval History
Dec. 13
§  1775—The Continental Congress provides for the construction of five ships of 32 guns, five ships of 28 guns, and three ships of 24 guns at an estimated cost of $866,666. The ships are Hancock, Randolph, Raleigh, Warren, Washington, Congress, Effingham, Providence, Trumbull, Virginia, Boston, Delaware, and Montgomery.
§  1941—Cmdr. William A. Sullivan is designated the first Supervisor of Salvage.
§  1943—USS Osmond Ingram (DD 255), USS George E. Badger (DD 196), USS Clemson (DD 186), and FMs VC-19 from USS Bogue (CVE 9) sink German submarine U 172 west of the Canary Islands.
§  1943—USS Wainwright (DD 419) and British destroyer HMS Calpe sink German submarine U-593 150 miles northeast of Algiers.
§  1943—USS Sailfish (SS 192) sinks Japanese cargo ship Totai Maru east of Tokara Strait while PBY aircraft sink Tokiwa Maru in the Bismarck Sea. 
Thanks to CHINFO

Executive Summary:
Leading today's national news headlines, Rep. Nancy Pelosi and fellow Democrats announced they'd come to an agreement Wednesday paving the way for her to become House Speaker, and President Trump's former lawyer Michael D. Cohen was sentenced to three years in prison yesterday for various crimes. The Virginian Pilot reports that nearly 6,500 sailors from the USS Harry S. Truman Strike Group are expected home Sunday following a deployment that is marked with history. According the Navy Times, the Navy will elevate six petty officers to warrant officer-1 for the first time since 1975 to increase its cyberwarfare capabilities. Additionally, the Wall Street Journal reports that Russia will withdraw two nuclear capable bombers from Venezuela following a diplomatic row with the United States.
·         Today in History December 13
The National Guard is created in France.
The last remnants of Napoleon Bonaparte's Grand ArmeƩ reach the safety of Kovno, Poland, after the failed Russian campaign. Napoleon's costly retreat from Moscow
General Andrew Jackson announces martial law in New Orleans, Louisiana, as British troops disembark at Lake Borne, 40 miles east of the city. The Battle of New Orleans
The Battle of Fredericksburg ends with the bloody slaughter of onrushing Union troops at Marye's Heights. Maine's Colonel Chamberlain at Marye's Heights.
The Committee of Imperial Defense holds its first meeting in London.
The Dutch take two Venezuelan Coast Guard ships.
The Japanese army occupies Nanking, China. Boeing's Trailblazing P-26 Peashooters.
Adolf Hitler issues preparations for Operation Martita, the German invasion of Greece.
British forces launch an offensive in Libya.
France and Britain agree to quit Syria and Lebanon.
After meeting with FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover, President Harry S Truman vows to purge all disloyal government workers.
President Lyndon B. Johnson and Mexico's President Gustavo Diaz Ordaz meet on a bridge at El Paso, Texas, to officiate at ceremonies returning the long-disputed El Chamizal area to the Mexican side of the border.
Astronaut Gene Cernan climbs into his lunar lander on the moon and prepares to lift off. He is the last man to set foot on the moon.
Great Britain cuts the work week to three days to save energy.
Polish labor leader Lech Walesa is arrested and the government decrees martial law, restricting civil rights and suspending operation of the independent trade union Solidarity.
France sues the United States over the discovery of an AIDS serum.
Terrorists attach the Parliament of India Sansad; 15 people are killed, including the terrorists
Deposed Iraqi President Saddam Hussein captured; he is found hiding in near his home town of Tikrit.
Boeing: FA-18-super-hornet
thanks to THE Bear 
The F/A-18 Block III Super Hornet is the newest highly capable, affordable and available tactical aircraft in U.S. Navy inventory. The Super Hornet is the backbone of the U.S. Navy carrier air wing now and for decades to come.
A couple interesting articles from the NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
1.   Mystery Blast Sank the USS San Diego in 1918. New Report Reveals What Happened

      On a summer morning in July 1918, the USS San Diego was steaming off the coast of Long Island, N.Y., when it was rocked by an explosion.
        Within 30 minutes, the vessel listed and sank, forcing its crew of more than 1,000 to abandon ship. Six enlisted sailors died. The armored cruiser was reportedly the only major U.S. warship to be lost in World War I.
        For the past century, the ship has sat at the bottom of the Atlantic, its location well-known but the cause of its sinking a mystery. Now, a team of researchers say they have determined the source of the blast: an underwater mine from a German U-boat.
        In announcing the results of the investigation on Tuesday, Ken Nahshon of the Naval Surface Warfare Center said the research group wanted to figure out whether the ship was lost to sabotage, an accident or attack. They used a process of elimination to come to their final conclusion. Computer modeling showed the blast came from outside the ship, ruling out the first two explanations, Nahshon said. That lead them to investigate the third possibility, an attack from outside the ship.
        According to the Naval History and Heritage Command, German submarines frequented the waters where the USS San Diego was that fateful day — in fact, the ship's crew had been on alert for them at the time of the attack. And after reading transcripts from interviews with crew members, researchers concluded that the weapon used was a naval mine from a U-boat — because no one on board the San Diego mentioned seeing a stream of bubbles, the telltale sign of an approaching torpedo.
        But which U-boat likely carried out the attack? That was answered by historical charts from the U.S. Navy Hydrographic Office that showed a particular German sub off Long Island in July 1918: U-156.
        U-156 was already in the history books for another mission — just two days after the USS San Diego sank, it carried out the only attack on U.S. soil during World War I when it fired at a convoy of ships off the coast of Orleans, Mass., sending a torpedo slamming into the beach.
        "For most Americans, World War I was a conflict fought abroad, in trench warfare, on land," said one of the researchers, Alexis Catsambis of the Naval History and Heritage Command. "However, the sea itself played a defining role in the turn of the war."
        As NPR's Greg Myre writes: "President Woodrow Wilson won re-election in 1916 with the slogan 'He kept us out of war.' But when German submarines launched a new round of attacks on civilian vessels in early 1917, including American ships, the American mood changed." And two million U.S. troops made the journey across the Atlantic, which was defended against German submarines by warships like the coal-fired San Diego.
        The USS San Diego has long been a source of fascination for naval historians and divers. Its final resting place, which sits more than 100 feet below the storm-churned waters south of Fire Island, has even earned a nickname as an artificial reef — the "lobster hotel."
        In July, the Navy commemorated the 100-year anniversary of the cruiser's sinking in a wreath-laying ceremony for the six sailors lost in the attack. Researchers said Tuesday they found no indication that the crew's actions contributed to the disaster.
        "Telling an accurate history of what happened honors their memory," Catsambis said. "And we have been able to validate the fact that these men did everything right in preventing and responding to a catastrophe."
6. Angels of the Oriskany—August Moon Rescue
(NAVALHISTORY.ORG—11 DEC 18) … Cmd. Jennifer Rigdon Teter

        I sent my father's cousin Dale Barck a postcard during a port call to Hong Kong in 1997, and this was the unexpected reply I received. Dale was a great correspondent, sending me letters filled with sea stories from his days in the Navy, including the fateful events of his deployment aboard the aircraft carrier USS Oriskany (CVA-34) in 1966.
        Dale Barck was born in Iowa in 1928, and his family moved to Vancouver, Washington in the early 1940s in search of work supporting the war effort. As a teenager he earned his welding certificate and worked in a shipyard alongside his father and siblings. During that time he took flying lessons from a former Women Airforce Service Pilot (WASP). Bitten by the flying bug, as a college student he joined the Navy under the Flying Midshipman program and ended up flying PBM Mariner flying boats, later transitioning to helicopters.
        In 1966, Lieutenant Commander Dale Barck received orders to Helicopter Combat Support Squadron ONE (HC-1), nicknamed the Pacific Fleet Angels, to serve as Officer-in-Charge of the squadron's detachment on board the USS Oriskany (CVA-34). The ship's WestPac/Vietnam deployment had already begun when he came aboard to take charge of the detachment of 8 aviators, 29 enlisted men, and 3 UH-2A/B Seasprite helicopters.
        That September, USS Oriskany was conducting strike operations from Yankee Station. On the morning of 16 September 1966, the ship was en route to a port call in Hong Kong when a distress call came through on the radio. Typhoon Elsie, forced the British ore carrier SS August Moon — a 10,000 ton ship with a crew of 44 men — aground on Pratas Reef, an atoll in the South China Sea 175 miles southeast of Hong Kong. The ship was in danger of breaking up on the reef in the heavy seas. Two other ships nearby, the Royal Navy frigate HMS Loch Fada and the Japanese oil tanker Tokyo Maru, were standing by to assist, but were unable to attempt the rescue using their lifeboats due to the heavy seas. The Oriskany quickly proceeded toward the stricken vessel and launched two of HC-1's three helicopters in an attempt to rescue the August Moon's crew. Dale and two squadronmates, copilot Ensign Daniel Kern and crew chief Petty Officer William Thoday, launched in the third helicopter about an hour later.
        When they arrived on scene, they found the August Moon hard aground on the reef with waves crashing against the ship. Members of the ship's crew were gathered on the stern awaiting rescue, and Dale put his H-2 in a hover to begin winching survivors aboard. What happened next came as a shock. As Dale wrote in a letter to me,
        "I could see the stern was wet from spray, so I hovered about [65] feet up, had the copilot keep his finger on the wiper switch, all very cautious, but a plume of spray hit the side of the ship, bounced straight up, and put the fire out in our little T-58 engine instantly! Lucky we hadn't picked up anyone yet. We went straight down, in a terrific surf, and all got flushed out."
        The event ended up as front-page news in Hong Kong and throughout the U.S., with headlines including, "Crewmen Live to Tell It: 65-Foot Wave Belts Copter."
        The Associated Press quoted Dale as saying,
        "We drop like a rock — at that height you can't glide or windmill down. There's two bumps, a light one when we hit the water and two seconds later another that almost knocks our teeth out when we hit the rock bottom 20 feet below the waves."
        The same story quoted his copilot Ensign Kern
        "The surf is pounding the [helicopter] to pieces. It's rolling the [helicopter] like a plaything. I think I got out on my side on the first roll. The commander either came out right behind me or went out the other side on the next roll. Neither of us are sure just how we got out."
        Petty Officer Thoday told reporters he "bobbed out like a cork" from the helicopter's main door, and the three crew members swam to the surface. Dale would later tell me, "It was just like the helo dunker!", referring to the helicopter training device that all Naval Aviators have to practice escaping from underwater.
        Dale's letter continued,
        "By this time, the second and third H-2 were on the scene, [and] picked us up after we bounced into the calmer lagoon behind the reef. Then, as the storm surf was subsiding after the recently departed storm, they picked up the 44 Chinese safely. I lost my flight deck shoes, my personal .45 Colt, [and] my lovely Leica camera! I was black and blue in my armpits from the understrap of the life jacket, when the surf was trying to get it off me!"
        All 44 of the August Moon's crew members, plus Dale Barck and his crew, were rescued by his squadronmates flying the Pacific Fleet Angels' remaining two helicopters, each of which could only seat 3 passengers at a time. Dale and his crew were taken back to the USS Oriskany. Some of the August Moon survivors were brought to the HMS Loch Fada; others were taken to Pratas Island to await further transport. The ore carrier August Moon eventually broke apart completely on Pratas Reef.
        Both USS Oriskany and HMS Loch Fada proceeded to Hong Kong. In port, HMS Loch Fada hosted a reception where Dale and his fellow crew members were feted as heroes. Dale was given a glass-bottomed Loch Fada tankard that remained a treasured keepsake for the rest of his life. He saw the irony in being celebrated for crashing a million-dollar aircraft; "Everybody loves a loser!" he would often joke.
        Back home in San Diego the next day, Dale's wife Marina was out grocery shopping with her mother, who was visiting from Germany. Her mother noticed Dale's photo on the front page of a newspaper for sale, turned to Marina and said, "Isn't that your husband?" The Navy had neglected to notified her of the crash.
4. A History of Modern Warfare Evolution

(THE CONVERSATION—10 DEC 18) … Shane T. McCoy

        Due to their clandestine nature, few know how the U.S.

Navy SEALs (Sea, Air, and Land) became the widely known and feared warriors they are today. This famous cadre grew from humble beginnings on the beaches of Fort Pierce, Florida, to warriors tasked with some of the most high-risk missions known in history.
The Vietnam War
        -President John F. Kennedy sent helicopters and Special Forces to South Vietnam and authorized secret operations against the Viet Cong (VC) guerillas in May 1961. The following year, SEAL Team ONE deployed Chief Petty Officer Robert Sullivan and Chief Petty Officer Charles Raymond to South Vietnam to take initial surveys and prepare to train South Vietnamese in the tactics, techniques and procedures of maritime commandos.
        -By mid-1968, SEALs carried out both day and night ambushes, reconnaissance patrols and special intelligence collection operations. The VC feared and put bounties on the heads of the "men with green faces," so called because of their face camouflage.
        -Fifteen U.S. Navy personnel, including three SEALs, received Medals of Honor for gallantry and bravery above and beyond the call of duty during the Vietnam War, including Petty Officer 2nd Class Michael E. Thornton. On his last tour in Vietnam, in Oct. 1972, Thornton saved the life of his senior officer during an intelligence gathering and prisoner capture operation. His small team, including two other SEALs and three South Vietnamese commandos, was discovered by a North Vietnamese Army force and came under heavy fire. During the firefight that followed, he was badly wounded. Thornton ran into enemy fire to retrieve SEAL Lt. Thomas Norris and dragged him to a beach, inflated his life vest, and swam with Norris down a river for two hours before they were rescued by a comrade in a support craft.
        -SEALs developed hit-and-run air-assault tactics using Army and Navy helicopters. In fact, Helicopter Attack (Light) Squadron THREE (HAL-3) — "Seawolves" — was the only rapid reaction armed helicopter squadron ever commissioned in the U.S. Navy. The squadron provided quick reaction close-air support to Navy craft, as well as armed reconnaissance and fire support for the SEALs.
        -SEALs also supported riverine patrols, which grew into three specialized Navy task forces —Task Force 115 (Coastal Surveillance), Task Force 116 (River Patrol), and Task Force 117 (River Assault) — totaling more than 700 craft and 38,000 men.
        -By the time they left Vietnam, SEALs had been credited with some 600 VC kills, as well as hundreds of captures and detentions. SEALs gained reputations as both fearsome and extraordinary warriors, morphing from a reactive force to elite warfare experts.
        -Between 1965 and 1972, 46 SEALs were killed in Vietnam.
Operation Urgent Fury
        -On Oct. 25, 1983, the U.S. invaded the island nation of Grenada, located in the Caribbean, hoping to ensure the safety of U.S. citizens and overthrow the hardline communist government.
        -SEAL Teams FOUR and SIX arrived early to scout the area and conduct pre-assault reconnaissance. They had two major objectives. The first was to rescue Governor General Sir Paul Scoon from house arrest. At H-Hour, 0500, SEAL Team SIX reached the governor general's house, but was surrounded. The men remained under fire until reinforcements arrived the following day.
        -Meanwhile, another team attempted to capture the Beausejour radio station, but security was compromised and the SEALs were initially driven back. They finally destroyed the tower under heavy fire the next day.
        -SEALs were also responsible for delivering four Air Force combat controllers who would set up radio beacons. Unfortunately, delays resulted in a dark, stormy insertion with low visibility and high waves. One of the transport planes missed the drop zone, and four SEALs were lost off the island's coast. Their bodies were never recovered, and the mission was scrubbed.
        -While "Operation Urgent Fury" was technically a success, inter-service rivalry had resulted in poor joint preparation. This led to the Goldwater-Nichols Department of Defense Reorganization Act of Oct. 4, 1986, meant to resolve these problems.
Operation Just Cause
        -The U.S. invaded Panama on the night of Dec. 19, 1989 to execute an arrest warrant against its dictator, President General Manuel Noriega, on charges of drug trafficking. SEALs were tasked with two missions. The first mission was simple — disable a boat Noriega might use to escape.
        -Their second task was to disable Noriega's Learjet at Paitilla Field and hold the airfield until relieved by conventional forces at H+5 hours. As SEAL forces began to infiltrate the southern end of the airfield at 2300, sounds of artillery fire began to fill the air. Four of the nine SEALs were killed in the ensuing firefight.
        -Chief Engineman Don McFaul realized men were lying wounded in exposed positions. He began pulling them to safety. He intentionally laid himself across a shipmate, and was killed by enemy fire. He was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross and Purple Heart. USS McFaul (DDG 74) is an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer named in his honor.
        -Surviving SEALs began dragging casualties to safety, and requested that the Learjet be taken out by a rocket.
        -Although the invasion resulted in many casualties, including SEALs and thousands of Panamanian civilians, under Goldwater-Nichols, the military services had learned to work together. They quickly destroyed the enemy's ability fight, and on Jan. 3, 1990, Noriega surrendered to U.S. forces and was eventually prosecuted.
Some Christmas humor thanks to TR
Bubba Claus
From the Desk of Santa Claus:
     I regret to inform you that, effective immediately, I will no longer be able to serve the southern United States on Christmas Eve.  Due to the overwhelming current population of the earth, my contract was renegotiated by  North American Fairies and Elves Local 209.  I now serve only certain areas of  Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and Michigan.
     As part of the new and better contract, I also get longer breaks for milk and cookies, so keep that in mind.  However, I'm certain that your children will be in good hands with your local replacement, who happens to be my third cousin, Bubba Claus.  His side of the family is from the South Pole. He shares my goal of delivering toys to all the good 'ole boys and girls; however,  there are a few differences between us.
     Differences such as:
There is no danger of a Grinch stealing your presents from Bubba Claus.  He has a gun rack on his sleigh and a bumper sticker that reads: "These toys insured by Smith & Wesson."
Instead of milk and cookies, Bubba Claus prefers that children leave an RC cola and pork rinds [or a moon pie] on the fireplace. And Bubba doesn't smoke a pipe.  He dips a little snuff though, so please have an empty spit can handy.
Bubba Claus' sleigh is pulled by floppy-eared, flyin' coon dogs instead of reindeer.  I made the mistake of loaning him a couple of my reindeer one time, and Blitzen's head now overlooks Bubba's fireplace.
You won't hear "On Comet, on Cupid, on Donner & Blitzen ..." when Bubba Claus arrives. Instead, you'll hear, "On Earnhardt, on Wallace, on Johnson and Labonte. On Rudd, on Jarrett, on Elliott and Petty"
"Ho, ho, ho!" has been replaced by "Yee Haw!"
As required by Southern highway laws, Bubba Claus' sleigh does have a Yosemite Sam safety triangle on the back with the words "Back off".  Last I heard, it also had other decorations on the sleigh back as well. One is Chevy logo with lights that race through the letters.
The usual Christmas movie classics such as "Miracle on 34th Street" and "It's a Wonderful Life" will not be shown in your negotiated viewing area.  Instead, you'll see "Boss Hogg Saves Christmas" and "Smokey and the Bandit IV" featuring Burt Reynolds as Bubba Claus and dozens of state patrol cars crashing into each other.
Bubba Claus doesn't wear a belt. If I were you, I'd make sure you, the wife, and the kids turn the other way when he bends over to put presents under the tree.
And finally, lovely Christmas songs have been sung about me like "Rudolph The Red-nosed Reindeer" and Bing Crosby's "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town."  This year songs such as Mark Chesnutt's "Bubba Claus Shot the Jukebox" and Cledus T. Judd's "All I Want for Christmas Is My Woman and a Six Pack" will be played on all the AM radio stations in the South.
Sincerely Yours, Santa Claus
Member of North American Fairies and Elves Local 209
Thanks to Mud
Neologism contest
Here's something to bring a smile.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

THE MYSTERIOUS PHONE CALL Jack Blanchard's Column February 13, 2021

        Thousands of readers around the world ...