Monday, July 16, 2018

TheList 4766

The List 4766TGB

To All,
I hope that your week has been going well.
This day in Naval History
July 12
1836—Charles H. Haswell is commissioned as the first regularly appointed Engineer Officer. In Oct. 1844, he is promoted to Engineer in Chief of the Navy.
1916—The AB-3 flying boat, piloted by Lt. Godfrey de Chevalier, is catapulted from USS North Carolina (ACR 12) while underway in Pensacola Bay, FL. The launch completes calibration of the first catapult designed for shipboard use.
1921 - Congress creates Bureau of Aeronautics to be in charge of all matter pertaining to naval aeronautics.
1943—USS Taylor (DD 468) sinks Japanese submarine (RO 107), east of Kolombangara, Solomon Islands.
1951 - Ninth Naval District forces assist in flood relief work in Kansas City through 20 July
1953 - United Nations Fleet launches heavy air and sea attack on Wonsan; Major John Bolt, USMC becomes first jet ace in Marine Corps.
1988—Secretary of Defense Frank Carlucci III approves opening the Navy's Underwater Construction Teams, fleet oilers, ammunition ships and combat stores ships to women.
1990—Cmdr. Rosemary B. Mariner becomes the first woman to command an operational aviation squadron, Tactical Electronic Warfare Squadron 34 (VAQ 34). She is one of the first women to become qualified as a Naval Aviator in 1974 and one of the first women to fly light attack aircraft. Mariner attained the rank of Captain before retiring in 1997.
2003—USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) is commissioned at Naval Station Norfolk. The ninth in the Nimitz-class of nuclear-powered supercarriers, the ship's motto is "Peace through Strength," a phrase coined by President Reagan. 
Executive Summary:
Today's national news includes the Trump administration implementing a new asylum policy at the border that will result in asylum seekers being turned away before they can plead their case in court, and continued coverage of President Trump at the NATO summit. The USS John S. McCain, originally christened in 1992 in honor of Adm. John S. McCain Sr. and Adm. John S. McCain Jr., was rededicated Thursday to also honor Sen. John S. McCain III reports Stars and Stripes. "This country would not be the same without the services of all three of these great men," said Navy Secretary Richard Spencer. "Sidney (Slew), Jack and John: three distinguished officers; three truly remarkable Americans." USNI News reports that while the Navy has yet to select a hull for its next large surface combatant, the future hull will almost certainly run the DDG-52 Flight III's combat system. Additionally, The Virginian-Pilot reports that the USS John Warner returned to Norfolk Wednesday following its maiden deployment.
Today in History July 12

Crusaders under Peter the Hermit reach Sofia in Hungary.

William III defeats the allied Irish and French armies at the Battle of Aughrim, Ireland.

British Admiral Lord Nelson loses his right eye at the siege of Calvi, in Corsica.

The Confederation of the Rhine is established in Germany.

Moscow is bombed by the German Luftwaffe for the first time.

President Dwight D. Eisenhower proposes a highway modernization program, with costs to be shared by federal and state governments.

The U.S. surgeon general, Leroy E. Burney, reports that there is a direct link between smoking and lung cancer.

G. Gordon Liddy, John Ehrlichman and two others are convicted of conspiracy and perjury in connection with the Watergate scandal.

Democratic presidential candidate Walter Mondale chooses Geraldine Ferraro as his running mate.
Thanks to Bart
An Interesting piece of forgotten U.S. History

 When Jefferson saw there was no negotiating with Muslims, he formed what is the now the Marines (sea going soldiers). These Marines were attached to U. S. Merchant vessels. When the Muslims attacked U.S. merchant vessels, they were repulsed by armed soldiers, but there is more. 

 The Marines followed the Muslims back to their villages and killed every man, woman, and child in the village. It didn't take long for the Muslims to leave U.S. Merchant vessels alone. English and French merchant vessels started running up our flag when entering the Mediterranean to secure safe travel. 

 Why the Marine Hymn Contains the Verse "… to the shores of Tripoli." This is very interesting and a must read piece of our history. It points out where we may be heading.  Most Americans are unaware of the fact that over two hundred years ago, the United States had declared war on Islam and Thomas Jefferson led the charge! 

 At the height of the 18th century, Muslim pirates (the "Barbary Pirates") were the terror of the Mediterranean and a large area of the North Atlantic. They attacked every ship in sight and held the crews for exorbitant ransoms. Those taken hostage were subjected to barbaric treatment and wrote heart-breaking letters home, begging their government and family members to pay whatever their Mohammedan captors demanded. 

 These extortionists of the high seas represented the North African Islamic nations of Tripoli, Tunis, Morocco, and Algiers - collectively referred to as the Barbary Coast - and presented a dangerous and unprovoked threat to the new American Republic .. 

Before the Revolutionary War, U.S. merchant ships had been under the protection of Great Britain. When the U.S. declared its independence and entered into war, the ships of the United States were protected by France. However, once the war was won, America had to protect its own fleets.

 Thus, the birth of the U.S. Navy. Beginning in 1784, 17 years before he would become president, Thomas Jefferson became America's Minister to France. That same year, the U.S. Congress sought to appease its Muslim adversaries by following in the footsteps of European nations who paid bribes to the Barbary States rather than engaging them in war. 

 In July of 1785, Algerian pirates captured American ships, and the Dye of Algiers demanded an unheard-of ransom of $60,000. It was a plain and simple case of extortion, and Thomas Jefferson was vehemently opposed to any further payments. Instead, he proposed to Congress the formation of a coalition of allied nations who together could force the Islamic states into peace. A disinterested Congress decided to pay the ransom. 

 In 1786, Thomas Jefferson and John Adams met with Tripoli's ambassador to Great Britain to ask by what right his nation attacked American ships and enslaved American citizens, and why Muslims held so much hostility towards America, a nation with which they had no previous contacts. 

 The two future presidents reported that Ambassador Sidi Haji Abdul Rahman Adja had answered that Islam "was founded on the Laws of their Prophet, that it was written in their Quran that all nations who would not acknowledge their authority were sinners, that it was their right and duty to make war upon them wherever they could be found, and to make slaves of all they could take as prisoners, and that every Musselman (Muslim) who should be slain in Battle was sure to go to Paradise." 

 Despite this stunning admission of premeditated violence on non-Muslim nations, as well as the objections of many notable American leaders, including George Washington, who warned that caving in was both wrong and would only further embolden the enemy, for the following fifteen years the American government paid the Muslims millions of dollars for the safe passage of American ships or the return of American hostages. The payments in ransom and tribute amounted to over 20 percent of the United States government annual revenues in 1800. 

 Jefferson was disgusted. Shortly after his being sworn in as the third President of the United States in 1801, the Pasha of Tripoli sent him a note demanding the immediate payment of $225,000 plus $25,000 a year for every year forthcoming. That changed everything. 

 Jefferson let the Pasha know, in no uncertain terms, what he could do with his demand. The Pasha responded by cutting down the flagpole at the American consulate and declared war on the United States. Tunis, Morocco, and Algiers immediately followed suit. Jefferson, until now,  had been against America raising a naval force for anything beyond coastal defense, but, having watched his nation be cowed by Islamic thuggery for long enough, decided that it was finally time to meet force with force. 

 He dispatched a squadron of frigates to the Mediterranean and taught the Muslim nations of the Barbary Coast a lesson he hoped they would never forget. Congress authorized Jefferson to empower U.S. ships to seize all vessels and goods of the Pasha of Tripoli and to "cause to be done all other acts of precaution or hostility as the state of war would justify". 

 When Algiers and Tunis, who were both accustomed to American cowardice and acquiescence, saw the newly independent United States had both the will and the right to strike back, they quickly abandoned their allegiance to Tripoli. The war with Tripoli lasted for four more years and raged up again in 1815. The bravery of the U.S. Marine Corps in these wars led to the line" the shores of Tripoli" in the Marine Hymn, and they would forever be known as "leathernecks" for the leather collars of their uniforms, designed to prevent their heads from being cut off by the Muslim scimitars when boarding enemy ships. 

 Islam, and what its Barbary followers justified doing in the name of their prophet and their god, disturbed Jefferson quite deeply. America had a tradition of religious tolerance. In fact Jefferson, himself, had co-authored the Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom, but fundamentalist Islam was like no other religion the world had ever seen. A religion based on supremacy, whose holy book not only condoned but mandated violence against unbelievers, was unacceptable to him. His greatest fear was that someday this brand of Islam would return and pose an even greater threat to the United States . 

 This should concern every American. That Muslims have brought about women-only classes and swimming times at taxpayer-funded universities and public pools; that Christians, Jews, and Hindus have been banned from serving on juries where Muslim defendants are being judged; Piggy banks and Porky Pig tissue dispensers have been banned from workplaces because they offend Islamist sensibilities; ice cream has been discontinued at certain Burger King locations because the picture on the wrapper looks similar to the Arabic script for Allah; public schools are pulling pork from their menus. But in turn several American companies have placed the Muslim symbol on their products in the name of Allah; on and on and on and on.. 

 It's death by a thousand cuts, or inch-by-inch as some refer to it, and most Americans have no idea that this battle is being waged every day across America. By not fighting back, by allowing groups to obfuscate what is really happening, and not insisting that the Islamists adapt to our own culture, the United States is cutting its own throat with a politically correct knife, and helping to further the Islamists agenda. Sadly, it appears that today America 's leaders would rather be politically correct than victorious! 

If you have any doubts about the above information, Google "Thomas Jefferson vs. the Muslim World."
Thanks to Dutch R.
Thanks to JN
Another nearly forgotten hero.  We need to never forget these heroes who paid for our freedom!!!
Remembering a Nice Jewish Dentist, 73 Years After His Death
—J.J. Sefton
There isn't all that much we know about Ben Salomon. He has no living relatives that we know of, and any friends or acquaintances have more than likely passed on. With the very youngest of what has been called "The Greatest Generation" now in their late 80s or early 90s, it would take quite a bit of detective work to find anyone who knew him.
What we do know is he was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on September 1, 1914. He was an Eagle Scout, graduated from Shorewood High School then got his undergraduate degree from Marquette University and from there went on to graduate from the USC Dental School in 1937 and began a dental practice. In 1940, he was drafted into the U.S. Army as a private but by May 1943, he was serving as the regimental dental officer of the 105th Infantry Regiment, 27th Infantry Division, attaining the rank of captain in 1944.
On June 15th of that year, Salomon went ashore on the Japanese bastion of Saipan with the 27th along with two divisions of Marines. It is there, on the night of July 7th where he and his comrades in the 105th found themselves in the middle of the largest banzai charge of the Pacific war.
Medal of Honor Citation:
For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty:
Captain Ben L. Salomon was serving at Saipan, in the Marianas Islands on July 7, 1944, as the Surgeon for the 2nd Battalion, 105th Infantry Regiment, 27th Infantry Division. The Regiment's 1st and 2d Battalions were attacked by an overwhelming force estimated between 3,000 and 5,000 Japanese soldiers. It was one of the largest attacks attempted in the Pacific Theater during World War II. Although both units fought furiously, the enemy soon penetrated the Battalions' combined perimeter and inflicted overwhelming casualties. In the first minutes of the attack, approximately 30 wounded soldiers walked, crawled, or were carried into Captain Salomon's aid station, and the small tent soon filled with wounded men. As the perimeter began to be overrun, it became increasingly difficult for Captain Salomon to work on the wounded. He then saw a Japanese soldier bayoneting one of the wounded soldiers lying near the tent. Firing from a squatting position, Captain Salomon quickly killed the enemy soldier. Then, as he turned his attention back to the wounded, two more Japanese soldiers appeared in the front entrance of the tent. As these enemy soldiers were killed, four more crawled under the tent walls. Rushing them, Captain Salomon kicked the knife out of the hand of one, shot another, and bayoneted a third. Captain Salomon butted the fourth enemy soldier in the stomach and a wounded comrade then shot and killed the enemy soldier. Realizing the gravity of the situation, Captain Salomon ordered the wounded to make their way as best they could back to the regimental aid station, while he attempted to hold off the enemy until they were clear. Captain Salomon then grabbed a rifle from one of the wounded and rushed out of the tent. After four men were killed while manning a machine gun, Captain Salomon took control of it. When his body was later found, 98 dead enemy soldiers were piled in front of his position. Captain Salomon's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.
Captain Salomon was recommended for the Medal of Honor, but the recommendation was rejected by the 27th's commanding general, citing medical officers and other non-combatants cannot receive the award for offensive actions. Over the years, the recommendation was resubmitted four more times but rejected on the same grounds. Finally, on May 1st, 2002, President Bush presented the medal to the chairman of the USC Dental School, where it is on display.
I've become somewhat obsessed with this story because I believe I might have a connection to Ben Salomon; it's a bit of a stretch but nevertheless it's there. My uncle was a PFC in Company K of the 105th Infantry Regiment of the 27th Division. Now, the 27th is based in New York and at that time many of its ranks came from the Albany/Schenectady/Troy area as well as NYC and elsewhere. Salomon was from Milwaukee and my uncle from Chicago. At 28, he was considerably older than most of the men he served with but just two years younger than Salomon, and both were Jewish. All that considered, there's no doubt in my mind that these two, older Jewish guys from the midwest, surrounded by younger New Yorkers, must have crossed paths and perhaps even developed a friendship.
We'll never know; my uncle was killed a week earlier on July 1st. Had he survived that night, he would have been in the middle of that banzai charge along with Salomon. And had they survived that, and the rest of the bloody battle to take the island, the next stop for the 27th was Okinawa.
It's strange to have a connection to a relative that you never knew. Oddly enough, that connection has grown more profound as the years have passed. My dad (his brother) never talked about him all that much and I never pressed him because I sensed it was too painful. Discovering Ben Salomon's story was exciting in its promise of learning more about my uncle, but aside from the commonalities cited above, there is nothing more to be learned.
As for Captain Ben L. Salomon, what we can say for sure is that he saved dozens of lives, as both a healer and as a soldier.
Last Voyage the Warship Indianapolis: Crew Delivers A-Bomb, Then is Decimated by Sharks
(THE SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE—7 JULY 18) … Jacqueline Cutler

            The survivors envied the dead.
            A little after midnight on July 30, 1945, the U.S. warship Indianapolis was crossing the Philippine Sea when a Japanese submarine captain caught her in his sights. Minutes later, two of his torpedoes blew it to pieces.
            Within 12 minutes, the flagship of America's mighty Pacific fleet was headed toward the bottom of the ocean, carrying roughly a quarter of her 1,195 sailors — leaving the rest to face excruciating horrors.
            It was the worst sea disaster in U.S. naval history and "Indianapolis," by Lynn Vincent and Sara Vladic, tells the grisly story without flinching.
            Their tale has almost everything. There's a secret mission, an honorable enemy and a scapegoated captain. There's madmen, heroes and cannibals. There's enough in this tale for several movies.
            One famous film has already borrowed part of the story. The shark hunter Quint in "Jaws" explains a scar on his arm. It was a tattoo of the World War II ship, which he was on. The blood-curdling tale of him and the surviving crew fighting off schools of sharks is one of the more gripping scenes in the movie.
            The facts are more horrible than fiction.
            Still, she began in beauty. Christened in 1932, the elegant Indianapolis first served as Franklin Roosevelt's ship of state, used for trips and grand galas. Glenn Miller played while diplomats danced on her teak deck.
            But she was too fine of a fighting machine to be relegated to cocktail parties. The Indianapolis was made for war and she joined the World War II fray after Pearl Harbor — a catastrophe she escaped only because of a training exercise.
            In 1945, after victorious engagements at Iwo Jima and Okinawa, the Indianapolis was dispatched on her most important mission, one that then-President Harry Truman hoped was her last. She was to sail to San Francisco, pick up two men and cargo, and take them to a Navy base in the Pacific.
            The crew wasn't told what was in the crate they wrestled onboard. Cases of Scotch, one hoped. Special toilet paper for Douglas MacArthur, another joked.
            The sailors had just loaded the components for the first atomic bomb, a weapon still thought so unstable that scientists insisted it be shipped unassembled.
After so many missions, it seemed, the Indianapolis would now play a part in the one that would finally end the war.
            The crew set a speed record crossing the Pacific, dropping off their mysterious cargo and its escorts in the Mariana Islands. Still wondering what they delivered, they shipped out for Guam to take on new crew members and planned to go to the Philippines for training exercises.
            It was then that Commander Mochitsura Hashimoto of the Imperial Japanese Navy struck.
            His first torpedo nearly sheared off the Indianapolis' bow. The second buried itself deep amidships. Parts of the Indianapolis flooded immediately; others exploded in flames. The generators failed, taking lights and communications with them.
            Calmly, reluctantly, Capt. Charles McVay, a career officer and the son of a retired admiral, gave the order to abandon ship.
            The scene was already chaotic. Badly burned men, blood running down their faces, staggered blindly down the deck. Two terrified galley stewards simply jumped off the stern – and were immediately ground up in the still- twirling screws.
            When the mighty ship finally sank, it left roughly 900 crewmembers in the ocean. There weren't enough lifeboats, or even lifejackets. Sailors who couldn't swim – it was not a Navy requirement – clung desperately to debris.
            Hashimoto watched from his sub as his men urged him to continue the fight, to surface, and fire on the survivors, to exterminate them all. Hashimoto shook his head.
            "No," he said, telling them to move on. "We have already done our job."   
            It was an act of mercy, but Hashimoto had really consigned many into a living hell. Spilled fuel oil stung the survivors' eyes; salt water tortured their blistered skin. A quick inventory showed that most of their medicine, water and food were sunk or spoiled. Huddled on various rafts, boats and floating nets, the sailors drifted.
            And then the sharks came.
            It's impossible to know how many men those predators claimed, and how many died from other wounds, thirst, or exposure. Death was simply a constant. People hallucinated, or fell into homicidal rages. Desperate men gulped handfuls of seawater, and died raving.
            There was heroism, and self-sacrifice. But there was also selfishness and savagery. Survivors reported witnessing rapes and cannibalism. One claimed he saw someone slit a man's throat and drink his blood. Friends armed themselves and made secret pacts; promise to kill me, if you see me start to go mad, and I swear I'll do the same for you.
            They were four full days in the water before a plane spotted them. Of the ship's 1,195 men, only 317 survived.
            Apparently, no one was even looking for them, although the ship was overdue. And while the Indianapolis' distress signal had been received at several stations, no one had acted on it. One commander suspected a Japanese trick. Another commander was drunk.
            Someone had to be blamed. The Navy picked Capt. McVay.
            A court martial was convened in November. McVay was charged with "hazarding" his ship by putting it in harm's way for plotting a straight course, rather than zigzagging. The fact that no one had told him beforehand that subs had been spotted in the area was not taken into account.
            In fact, the brass was so intent on proving their case they brought in a surprise witness – Hashimoto, the man who sunk McVay's ship.
            Japan had surrendered months before, thanks in part to the bomb McVay had been ferrying. Now the conquered enemy, a guest of the American government, wearing ill-fitting civilian clothes, took the stand. Isn't it true, he was asked, that if Capt. McVay had been zigzagging, you couldn't have hit him?
            It was not true, Hashimoto protested. He simply would have recalibrated. Besides, his sub also had manned torpedoes, piloted by kamikaze sailors. He would have carried out the attack regardless. But Hashimoto's testimony was mistranslated or ignored.
            McVay was found guilty and knocked down 200 spots in the promotion lists. He retired in 1949.
            For years, many felt an injustice had been done – including a Pensacola sixth-grader named Hunter Scott. In 1997, he took up the story of the Indianapolis for a research project, digging up documents and interviewing survivors. He presented his findings to his local congressman, Joe Scarborough, now the TV commentator. The boy's quest for justice led to congressional hearings and a resolution exonerating McVay, signed by President Bill Clinton.
            It had been such a long time coming, it was too late for McVay.
            Although he left the Navy, the horrors of that disaster never left him. Days would bring hate letters from some families of the deceased. Nights meant dreams about sharks endlessly circling. On Nov. 6, 1968, McVay was found dead on the walkway to his home in Litchfield, Conn. He was dressed in plain, pressed khakis, and there was a bullet in his head.
            In one hand, he held a .38. In the other, he held his keys, a tiny toy sailor hanging from the ring, ready and willing to serve.

Item Number:1 Date: 07/12/2018 AUSTRALIA - DEFENSE DEPT. REVEALS NEW MISSIONS TO AFGHANISTAN, IRAQ (JUL 12/SMH)  SYDNEY MORNING HERALD -- Australia has announced new contributions to missions in Afghanistan and Iraq, reports the Sydney Morning Herald.   Two trainers will head to Iraq to provide counterterrorism training, as part of a new Canadian-led NATO mission to prevent the return of the Islamic State terrorist group. Finland and Sweden have also decided to join the mission.   The Australian trainers will join several hundred NATO counterparts, working on a "train the trainers" program to teach Iraqi troops to counter suicide bombers and improvised explosive devices.   The operation will also cover military medicine, armored vehicle maintenance and civil-military planning for reconstruction, emergency and vital infrastructure protection missions.   The project is in addition to Operation Okra, a 600-strong Australian mission to Iraq that provides air operations, special operations and training, noted the Australian.   Twenty Australian defense personnel will also head to Afghanistan to help the country establish a Black Hawk helicopter fleet there, Defense Minister Marise Payne announced on Thursday.   The troops heading to Afghanistan will include aviation advisers and a protection detail, said a release from the Australian Defense Dept.   The new mission will take place within Australia's existing commitment of 300 personnel in Afghanistan.   
  Item Number:3 Date: 07/12/2018 CANADA - OTTAWA TAKES LEAD FOR NATO TRAINING MISSION IN IRAQ (JUL 12/CBC)  CANADIAN BROADCASTING CORPORATION -- The Canadian military will take command of a new NATO training and capacity building mission in Iraq, reports CBC News.   Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced the mission on Wednesday at the NATO summit in Brussels. Canada will lead the mission for its first year, he said.   The operation is slated to begin this fall in Baghdad and the surrounding area. Up to 250 Canadian troops and four Griffon helicopters will be deployed, officials said.   A Canadian major general will lead the mission. About 50 Canadians will be assigned to train Iraqi security forces, 125 for force protection and about 20 to serve with the headquarters staff, reported the Globe and Mail (Toronto).   The mission aims to train instructors as part of efforts to enhance the skills of the Iraqi army and prevent the re-emergence of groups such as the Islamic State.   The Canadian military currently has 850 troops in Iraq providing training and assistance to Iraqi security forces under Operation Impact. A separate special operations mission will continue in addition to the new NATO deployment, officials said
Item Number:4 Date: 07/12/2018 CHINA - DEFENSE MINISTER PLEDGES STRONGER TIES WITH NEPAL (JUL 12/XIN)  XINHUA -- Chinese Defense Minister Wei Fenghe has called for stronger military cooperation with Nepal, reports Xinhua, China's state-run news agency.   On Wednesday, Fenghe discussed bilateral military issues in Beijing with Gen. Rajendra Chhetri, the Nepalese army chief.   Fenghe emphasized the traditional friendship of the neighboring countries and the continued development of practical military cooperation.   Chhetri thanked China for its support for the Nepalese military and emphasized that his country was prepared to boost cooperation in various fields.  
  Item Number:5 Date: 07/12/2018 FRANCE - A400M CARGO AIRCRAFT DEMONSTRATES ABILITY TO REFUEL RAFALE FIGHTERS (JUL 12/DN)  DEFENSE NEWS -- The French air force has successfully demonstrated the ability of its A400M transports to refuel Rafale fighters in the air, reports Defense News.   The Armed Forces Ministry announced the success on Monday.   During testing, the Rafales received fuel from underwing pods and the fuselage-mounted hose drum kit on the A400M, the ministry said. The operation was tested in a variety of settings and scenarios.   In light of the successful trials, the French procurement office has authorized the A400M to refuel Rafales in the air. The air force is working to operationalize the capability.   Future tests of the A400M will involve refueling helicopters and Mirage 2000 fighter jets, the ministry said
  Item Number:7 Date: 07/12/2018 ISRAEL - AIR FORCE HITS MILITARY TARGETS IN QUNEITRA AFTER SYRIAN DRONE INCURSION (JUL 12/JP)  JERUSALEM POST -- The Israeli military has carried out missile strikes on three targets in Syria after a drone infiltrated Israeli airspace from Syria, reports the Jerusalem Post.   On Wednesday, Israeli jets launched strikes on military posts near the towns of Hadar and Tal Kroum Jaba in the western Quneitra province, which borders the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, reported Syria's official SANA news agency. An Israeli rocket and mortar attack hit the village of Jaba, the news agency said.   SANA reported material damage but no casualties. Air defenses intercepted many of the missiles, according to Syrian sources cited by Reuters.   Some of the positions hit belonged to Hezbollah, said Syrian media sources cited by Haaretz (Israel).   Unlike suspected Israeli airstrikes in the past, Israel acknowledged its role in the attack, releasing footage showing missiles hitting a hut, a two-story structure and a five-story structure. The location of these structures was not announced.   "The IDF holds the Syrian regime accountable for the actions carried out in its territory and warns it from further action against Israeli forces," said a military statement.   The strikes came after a drone crossed the border with Syria Syria, flying 6 miles (10 km) into Israel before it was brought down by a Patriot missile.   The unarmed drone was tracked before and after it entered Israeli airspace, said the army. Calls were placed to Jordan and Russia to ensure that the drone did not belong to either of them, officials said
Item Number:8 Date: 07/12/2018 IVORY COAST - FRENCH HELICOPTER GOES DOWN DURING JOINT TRAINING (JUL 12/SPUTNIK)  SPUTNIK -- A French army helicopter has crashed during a joint training exercise in Ivory Coast, killing a crewmember, reports the Sputnik news agency (Russia).   The Gazelle helicopter went down about 12 miles (20 km) east of Abidjan on Tuesday. Two crewmembers onboard were seriously injured.   The wounded crewmembers were transferred to the French military base at Port Bouet, where one later died. The surviving crewmember was airlifted to France for further treatment, reported Reuters.   The army has launched an investigation to determine the cause of the crash, the service said in a Wednesday statement.    
    Item Number:10 Date: 07/12/2018 PHILIPPINES - 12 MILITANTS KILLED IN ONGOING SECURITY OPERATIONS (JUL 12/GMA)  GMA NEWS -- Twelve Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) militants have been killed in ongoing clashes with security forces in the southern Philippines, reports the GMA News (Philippines).   Military operations were launched in Maguindanao province on Sunday and were continuing, Joint Task Force Central Commander Brig. Gen. Cirilito Sobejana Jr. said on Tuesday.   Eight BIFF militants were killed during initial strikes in Sitio Pandan and Sitio Mungkas in the Barangay Malingao region on Sunday.   Another attack on Monday night in Sitio Bulod killed four rebels and injured nine.   Three government troops were reportedly injured in the fighting.   Mindanao is a hotspot for militant activities, where more than 20 groups have pledged allegiance to the Islamic State, noted Channel News Asia (Singapore).   ISIS has called on adherents to go to Mindanao to fight following the loss of territories in Syria and Iraq.   Around 57 BIFF militants have been killed and 40 others injured in Maguindanao since May. Three militants have been captured and another three have surrendered to government forces.  
  Item Number:13 Date: 07/12/2018 USA - ENGINE FOR DARPA REUSABLE SPACE PLANE COMPLETES ENDURANCE TEST (JUL 12/D1)  DEFENSE ONE -- The U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency has successfully test-fired a new reusable rocket engine designed for daily launches, reports Defense One.   Aerojet Rocketdyne began testing the AR-22 engine on June 26 at NASA's Stennis Space Center in Mississippi. The testing, which included 10 firings in 10 days, wrapped up on Tuesday.   The AR-22 engine was successfully fired an average of once every 18.5 hours, said Jeff Haynes, the program manager. The final firing took place with 68 minutes to spare, he said. Each firing lasted about 100 seconds, reported   The engine, powered by liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen, is designed to handle the demands of frequent cycling with a 24-hour turnaround. A version of the AR-22 was previously used as the space shuttle's main engine.   The goal is to enable space-lift vehicles to rapidly turnaround, similar to aircraft, said DARPA engineer Scott Wierzbanowski.   The engine will power the Phantom Express space plane, which is being developed by Boeing.   The Phantom Express is 100 feet (31 m) long with a 62-foot (19-m) wingspan and is expected to weigh 240,000 pounds (109,000 kg). It is designed to launch vertically and reach a speed of Mach 10.   The spacecraft is intended to carry satellites weighing up to 3,000 pounds (1,360 kg) of payload into orbit on a daily basis, costing less than US$5 million per flight, according to program officials.   The space plane is expected to undergo its final subsystem review in February 2019, with the objective of beginning test flights by 2021.   The Pentagon is seeking new ways to strengthen and protect its orbiting constellations amid a growing space race with China and Russia, analysts said
  Item Number:14 Date: 07/12/2018 USA - F-35 FACES OFF AGAINST A-10 IN UNPUBLICIZED AIR FORCE FLY-OFF (JUL 12/POGO)  PROJECT ON GOVERNMENT OVERSIGHT -- The U.S. Air Force is concluding an unpublicized, week-long comparative evaluation of the new F-35 fighter jet and the venerable A-10 attack aircraft, reports the Project on Government Oversight, an independent watchdog group.   The testing, mandated by Congress in a 2016 defense spending bill, took place at Marine Corps Air Station Yuma, Ariz., and Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake, Calif., from July 5 to July 12.   The trials covered visually identifying friendly forces and mock enemy targets in day and night scenarios; loitering over target areas for extended periods; and engaging targets without direction from a joint terminal attack controller.   The watchdog criticized the fly-off, saying it did not involve operations with ground troops or fluid scenarios that better simulate real operations, citing sources close to the event.   Senior Air Force officials, who have sought to retire the A-10 to free up resources for other programs, including the F-35, opposed the fly-off.    
  Item Number:15 Date: 07/12/2018 USA - FDA APPROVES FREEZE-DRIED BLOOD FOR INJURED U.S. TROOPS (JUL 12/FDA)  U.S. FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION -- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has announced that it has approved the use of freeze-dried blood plasma to treat combat injuries, reports the agency.   The FDA granted an emergency use authorization (EUA) to the Dept. of Defense on Tuesday.   The EUA enables the military to use French-manufactured freeze-dried plasma (FDP) while the FDA works to formally approve the product. The plasma has previously been made available in limited quantities to U.S. forces in the Middle East.   Blood plasma helps clot blood and stop bleeding, which can be used to address serious battlefield injuries, said FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb. Freeze-dried plasma does not need to be refrigerated or thawed, allowing it to be easily used at the point of injury, he said.   FDP is used to treat traumatic injuries when plasma is not available or practical, noted MedPage Today.   The authorization was in response to a specific request by the Dept. of Defense.   In January, the FDA and Pentagon launched a joint program to expedite the development and increase the availability of medical products for military personnel.   Teleflex, based in Pennsylvania, is developing its own freeze-dried plasma product and began initial trials last year.  
tem Number:16 Date: 07/12/2018 YEMEN - FOREIGN MINISTER CALLS ON LEBANESE GOVERNMENT TO END HEZBOLLAH SUPPORT FOR HOUTHIS (JUL 12/ARAB)  ARAB NEWS -- The Yemeni Foreign Minister Khalid Hussein Al-Yamani has penned a letter to his Lebanese counterpart calling on Beirut to "rein in" the Hezbollah militant group, reports the Arab News.   In the letter dated July 8, Al-Yamani told Lebanese Foreign Minister Gebran Bassil that Hezbollah's support for Houthi rebels in Yemen was blatant interference in his country's affairs, reported Al Arabiya (Dubai).   Hezbollah support for the Yemeni rebel group was evident during a recent speech by the Lebanese group's spiritual leader, Hassan Nasrallah, said Yamani.   If this support does not end, Yemen will advance formal complaints in international bodies including the Arab League, Organization of the Islamic Conference and the U.N. Security Council, the Yemeni foreign minister said.   The Lebanese Foreign Ministry did not comment on the matter. A ministry official told Asharq Al-Awsat (London) that it had not yet received the formal complaint.   Earlier this week, the Saudi-led coalition fighting the Houthi rebels in Yemen alleged that it had killed several Hezbollah fighters involved in training Houthi rebels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment