Sunday, June 3, 2018

TheList 4735

The List 4735

To All,
I hope that you all have a great Weekend. Great to see all at the Bubba Breakfast this morning.
This day in Naval History
June 1
1813—HMS Shannon, commanded by Capt. Philip Broke, captures USS Chesapeake, commanded by Capt. James Lawrence off the coast of Boston, MA. During the battle, Capt. Lawrence is mortally wounded, but as he is carried below deck, he orders the iconic phrase: "Tell the men to fire faster! Don't give up the ship!"
1871—Two ships under the squadron command of Commodore John Rodgers, on USS Colorado, are attacked from Korean forts and batteries. The squadron is carrying Frederick Low, U.S. foreign minister to China, who was sent to negotiate trade with Korea.
1914 - General Order 99 prohibits alcohol on board naval vessels, or at navy yards or stations
1915 - First contract for lighter-than-air craft for Navy
1939—Capt. Hollis M. Cooley, director of the Naval Research Laboratory, proposes research in atomic energy for future use in nuclear powered submarine.
1943—USS Trigger (SS 237) sinks Japanese merchant collier Noborikawa Maru off Kominato, southern Honshu.
1944—Blimp Squadron Fourteen (ZP 14) Airships, (K 123) and (K 130), complete the first crossing of the Atlantic by non-rigid, lighter-than-air aircraft. The journey takes 50 hours after leaving Naval Air Station, South Weymouth, MA, and arriving at Gibraltar.
1954 - First test of steam catapult from USS Hancock  I probably rode that one or its son a few years later
1991—USS Rushmore (LSD 47) is commissioned at River Walk in New Orleans, LA, the seventh of eight Whidbey Island-class dock landing ships. 
June 2
1814—During the War of 1812, the sloop of war Wasp, commanded by Capt. Johnston Blakely, captures and burns the British merchant barque Neptune, southwest of Ireland.   
1865—Confederate Gen. Edmund Kirby Smith signs the Terms of Surrender for the Confederate forces onboard USS Fort Jackson in Galveston Bay, TX.
1941—The first aircraft escort vessel, USS Long Island (CVE 1), is commissioned. Following World War II, she participates in Operation "Magic Carpet."
1943—USS PC 565 sinks German submarine U 521 off the Virginia capes. The German sub had sunk four Allied merchant vessels, including two U.S. vessels: tanker Hahira (Nov. 3, 1942) and merchant Molly Pitcher (March 18, 1943).
1943—USS Tambor (SS 198) sinks Japanese transport Eika Maru in the Tonkin Gulf off the coast of French Indochina.
2012—The Virginia-class nuclear-powered fast attack submarine USS Mississippi (SSN 782) is commissioned in Pascagoula, MS. 
June 3
1785—The order is given to sell the last ship remaining in the Continental Navy, the frigate Alliance. No other Navy ships are authorized until 1794.
1898—During the Spanish-American War, the 8-man volunteer crew from USS Merrimac are taken as prisoners of war by the Spanish following a courageous attempt to sink the collier to obstruct navigation. For their "extraordinary heroism" during this operation, the men are awarded the Medal of Honor.
1942—The Japanese start a two-day attack at Dutch Harbor, Aleutian Islands, AK, in an attempt to distract America from the Midway Island invasion. During the two-day invasion, 43 Americans die.
1949—Midshipman Wesley A. Brown becomes the first African-American to graduate from the U.S. Naval Academy.
1966—Gemini 9 is launched and piloted by Lt. Cmdr. Eugene A. Cernan. The mission includes 45 orbits over 3 days. Recovery is by USS Wasp (CVS 18). 
Thanks to CHINFO
Executive Summary:
Top national news includes President Trump granting a full pardon to conservative author Dinesh D'Souza, and Hawaii's Big Island mayor ordering mandatory evacuations after four weeks from Kilauea Volcano's eruption.  Ratcheting up rhetoric over China's militarization of the South China Sea, CNN reports that Director of the Joint Staff Lt. Gen. Kenneth McKenzie told reporters that "the United States military has had a lot of experience in the Western Pacific taking down small islands." McKenzie stated that the U.S. "will continue to conduct freedom of navigation operations as is allowed by international law." The San Diego Union-Tribune reports that Defense Secretary Jim Mattis landed in Singapore on Thursday to begin bilateral talks with key Asian powers. Additionally, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has threatened the use of military force to expel U.S. troops from Syria.
Today in History
June 1

The Roman emperor, Marcus Didius, is murdered in his palace.

Anne Boleyn, Henry VIII's new queen, is crowned.

The British government orders the port of Boston closed.

The first U.S. congressional act on administering oaths becomes law.

American navy captain James Lawrence, mortally wounded in a naval engagement with the British, exhorts to the crew of his vessel, the Chesapeake, "Don't give up the ship!"

General Robert E. Lee assumes command of the Confederate army outside Richmond after General Joe Johnston is injured at Seven Pines.

The Battle of Cold Harbor, Virginia, begins as Confederate general Robert E. Lee tries to turn Union general Ulysses S. Grant's flank.

James Buchanan, the 15th president of the United States, dies.

U.S. troops are authorized to pursue bandits into Mexico.

Germany conducts the first zeppelin air raid over England.

The National Defense Act increases the strength of the U.S. National Guard by 450,000 men.

A race riot erupts in Tulsa, Oklahoma, killing 85 people.

The Douglas DC-4 makes its first passenger flight from Chicago to New York.

The German Army completes the capture of Crete as the Allied evacuation ends.

America begins sending Lend-Lease materials to the Soviet Union.

Charles de Gaulle becomes premier of France.

Governor George Wallace vows to defy an injunction ordering integration of the University of Alabama.

The U.S. reports finding wiretaps in the American embassy in Moscow.
Thanks to Carl
(A personal note about ADM Rogers:  at the last NSA open house, he and his Senior Enlisted Advisor were inside Ops 3 entrance personally greeting and shaking hands with all entrants!)   
It's appropriate this Memorial Day weekend to salute the retiring NSA director, Admiral Mike Rogers, for courageously standing up against the Obama Administration and the intelligence apparatus, risking all to blow the whistle on the illegal sharing of FISA information on the part of those working to aid Hillary and defeat Trump.
May 27, 2018
The Great Unmasking
Thanks to Chuck…I finally found the picture see below. I also seem to remember they did a statue of it.
-----Original Message-----
From: Chuck Nash <> Subject: One of the Marine Corps' Most Iconic Enlisted Leaders Just Retired |
A Navy Cross recipient who overcame grievous war wounds to continue to lead Marines on active duty has finally retired.
Sgt. Maj. Bradley Kasal, perhaps best known for appearing in an iconic image by photographer Lucian Read, retired from his post as sergeant major of I Marine Expeditionary Force on May 18, Marine officials said.
The famous photograph shows a wounded and bloody Kasal emerging from a building in Fallujah, Iraq, in 2004 supported by Marines on his right and left. Then a first sergeant, Kasal had sustained wounds from seven bullets and taken more than 43 pieces of grenade shrapnel during a firefight. He reportedly had lost 60 percent of his blood by the time he emerged from the house, supported by two lance corporals, but still brandishing his sidearm and Ka-Bar knife.
In 2006, Kasal would receive the Navy Cross, the military's second-highest award for valor, for his heroism that day. According to his medal citation, Kasal had rolled on top of a wounded Marine to shield him, absorbing the shrapnel from an enemy grenade with his own body.
Thanks to Carl
Friday, May 18, 2018
Every day, in places almost no one knows about and fewer could place on a map, American servicemembers are partnered with allies and host nations trying to keep the spread of Islamic fundamentalism at bay.

A bit over six months ago, an event took place that broke above the background noise. It was a mission that, as things happen now and then, even with all our advantages, the enemy had a vote and won.

BZ to DOD and AFRICOM for putting out this official, unclassified briefing on the circumstances leading up to and during the ambush of US and Nigerien military personnel near the village of Tongo Tongo in October 2017.

The Long War will see more of this.

A lot has already been written about this mission and some are trying to use it to make this point and that. Not here.

Almost everyone who served has been in tactical situations where if things when one way or another, in hindsight others in safe places could pick apart why you did or did not do this or that. 

This had me thinking of a few things I was involved in.

Take a moment and ponder. You don't have to be a ground forces guy to learn from this.

DOD Briefing on the Ambush in Niger in October 2017 - (22:55)
Thanks to Tom
Learned something new today from an annual cybersecurity NCIS sponsored brief yesterday. Are you tired of all those tracking software groups looking at your every move on your touchpads, iPads and Cell Phones? You can fight back using a free app called "Ghostery." Ghostery allows you to block ads, block all tracking software on your phone, allows you to change your proxy (to make it harder to track you), and uses DuckDuckGo as its search engine so there is no trace of your history. Use it for your browsing instead of sponsored apps. Because there is no tracking occurring, it also speeds up your searches and reduces battery drain. It is worth your review and consideration, especially these days of counterintelligence and ad irritation.
VR, Tom Monroe
Thanks to Micro….You all need to read this
Burial at Sea
by Lt. Col. George Goodson, USMC (Ret)

In my 76th year, the events of my life appear to me, from time to time, as a series of vignettes.  Some were significant; most were trivial.  War is the seminal event in the life of everyone that has endured it.  Though I fought in Korea and the Dominican Republic and was wounded there, Vietnam was my war.  Now 42 years have passed and, thankfully, I rarely think of those days in Cambodia , Laos , and the panhandle of North Vietnam where small teams of Americans and Montangards fought much larger elements of the North Vietnamese Army.  Instead I see vignettes: some exotic, some mundane:

*The smell of Nuc Mam.
*The heat, dust, and humidity.
*The blue exhaust of cycles clogging the streets.
*Elephants moving silently through the tall grass.
*Hard eyes behind the servile smiles of the villagers.
*Standing on a mountain in Laos and hearing a tiger roar.
*A young girl squeezing my hand as my medic delivered her baby.
*The flowing Ao Dais of the young women biking down Tran Hung Dao.
*My two years as Casualty Notification Officer in North Carolina, Virginia, and Maryland .

It was late 1967.  I had just returned after 18 months in Vietnam.  Casualties were increasing.  I moved my family from Indianapolis to Norfolk, rented a house, enrolled my children in their fifth or sixth new school, and bought a second car.  A week later, I put on my uniform and drove 10 miles to Little Creek, Virginia.  I hesitated before entering my new office.  Appearance is important to career Marines.  I was no longer, if ever, a poster Marine.  I had returned from my third tour in Vietnam only 30 days before.  At 5'9", I now weighed 128 pounds - 37 pounds below my normal weight.  My uniforms fit ludicrously, my skin was yellow from malaria medication, and I think I had a twitch or two.

I straightened my shoulders, walked into the office, looked at the nameplate on a Staff Sergeant's desk and said, "Sergeant Jolly, I'm Lieutenant Colonel Goodson.  Here are my orders and my Qualification Jacket." Sergeant Jolly stood, looked carefully at me, took my orders, stuck out his hand; we shook and he asked, "How long were you there, Colonel?"  I replied "18 months this time."  Jolly breathed, "You must be a slow learner, Colonel."  I smiled.  Jolly said, "Colonel, I'll show you to your office and bring in the Sergeant Major.  I said, "No, let's just go straight to his office."  Jolly nodded, hesitated, and lowered his voice, "Colonel, the Sergeant Major.  He's been in this job two years.  He's packed pretty tight.  I'm worried about him."  I nodded.

Jolly escorted me into the Sergeant Major's office.  "Sergeant Major, this is Colonel Goodson, the new Commanding Officer."  The Sergeant Major stood, extended his hand and said, "Good to see you again, Colonel."  I responded, "Hello Walt, how are you?"  Jolly looked at me, raised an eyebrow, walked out, and closed the door.

I sat down with the Sergeant Major.  We had the obligatory cup of coffee and talked about mutual acquaintances.  Walt's stress was palpable.  Finally, I said, "Walt, what the hell's wrong?"  He turned his chair, looked out the window and said, "George, you're going to wish you were back in Nam before you leave here.  I've been in the Marine Corps since 1939.  I was in the Pacific 36 months, Korea for 14 months, and Vietnam for 12 months.  Now I come here to bury these kids.  I'm putting my letter in.  I can't take it anymore."  I said, "OK Walt.  If that's what you want, I'll endorse your request for retirement and do what I can to push it through Headquarters Marine Corps."  Sergeant Major Walt Xxxxx retired 12 weeks later.  He had been a good Marine for 28 years, but he had seen too much death and too much suffering.  He was used up.

Over the next 16 months, I made 28 death notifications, conducted 28 military funerals, and made 30 notifications to the families of Marines that were severely wounded or missing in action.  Most of the details of those casualty notifications have now, thankfully, faded from memory.  Four, however, remain.

My third or fourth day in Norfolk, I was notified of the death of a 19 year old Marine. This notification came by telephone from Headquarters Marine Corps.  The information detailed:
*Name, rank, and serial number.
*Name, address, and phone number of next of kin.
*Date of and limited details about the Marine's death.
*Approximate date the body would arrive at the Norfolk Naval Air Station.
*A strong recommendation on whether the casket should be opened or closed.

The boy's family lived over the border in North Carolina, about 60 miles away  I drove there in a Marine Corps staff car.  Crossing the state line into North Carolina, I stopped at a small country store/service station/Post Office.  I went in to ask directions.

Three people were in the store.  A man and woman approached the small Post Office window.  The man held a package.  The store owner walked up and addressed them by name, "Hello John.  Good morning Mrs. Cooper."

I was stunned.  My casualty's next-of-kin's name was John Cooper!   I hesitated, then stepped forward and said, "I beg your pardon.  Are you Mr. and Mrs. John Cooper of (address)?  The father looked at me - I was in uniform - and then, shaking, bent at the waist, he vomited.  His wife looked horrified at him and then at me.  Understanding came into her eyes and she collapsed in slow motion.  I think I caught her before she hit the floor.  The owner took a bottle of whiskey out of a drawer and handed it to Mr. Cooper who drank.  I answered their questions for a few minutes.  Then I drove them home in my staff car.  The store owner locked the store and followed in their truck.  We stayed an hour or so until the family began arriving  I returned the store owner to his business.  He thanked me and said, "Mister, I wouldn't have your job for a million dollars."  I shook his hand and said; "Neither would I."  I vaguely remember the drive back to Norfolk.  Violating about five Marine Corps regulations, I drove the staff car straight to my house.  I sat with my family while they ate dinner, went into the den, closed the door, and sat there all night, alone.

My Marines steered clear of me for days.  I had made my first death notification.

Weeks passed with more notifications and more funerals.  I borrowed Marines from the local Marine Corps Reserve and taught them to conduct a military funeral: how to carry a casket, how to fire the volleys and how to fold the flag.  When I presented the flag to the mother, wife, or father, I always said, "All Marines share in your grief."  I had been instructed to say, "On behalf of a grateful nation...."  I didn't think the nation was grateful, so I didn't say that.  Sometimes, my emotions got the best of me and I couldn't speak.  When that happened, I just handed them the flag and touched a shoulder.  They would look at me and nod.  Once a mother said to me, "I'm so sorry you have this terrible job."  My eyes filled with tears and I leaned over and kissed her.

Six weeks after my first notification, I had another.  This was a young PFC.  I drove to his mother's house.  As always, I was in uniform and driving a Marine Corps staff car.  I parked in front of the house, took a deep breath, and walked towards the house.  Suddenly the door flew open, a middle-aged woman rushed out.  She looked at me and ran across the yard, screaming "NO! NO! NO! NO!"  I hesitated.  Neighbors came out.  I ran to her, grabbed her, and whispered stupid things to reassure her.  She collapsed.  I picked her up and carried her into the house.  Eight or nine neighbors followed.  Ten or fifteen minutes later, the father came in followed by ambulance personnel.  I have no recollection of leaving.  The funeral took place about two weeks later.  We went through the drill.  The mother never looked at me.  The father looked at me once and shook his head sadly.

One morning, as I walked in the office, the phone was ringing.  Sergeant Jolly held the phone up and said, "You've got another one, Colonel."  I nodded, walked into my office, picked up the phone, took notes, thanked the officer making the call, I have no idea why, and hung up.  Jolly, who had listened, came in with a special Telephone Directory that translates telephone numbers into the person's address and place of employment.

The father of this casualty was a Longshoreman.  He lived a mile from my office.  I called the Longshoreman's Union Office and asked for the Business Manager.  He answered the phone, I told him who I was, and asked for the father's schedule.  The Business Manager asked,  "Is it his son?"  I said nothing.  After a moment, he said, in a low voice, "Tom is at home today."  I said, "Don't call him.  I'll take care of that."  The Business Manager said, "Aye, Aye Sir," and then explained, "Tom and I were Marines in WWII."

I got in my staff car and drove to the house.  I was in uniform.  I knocked and a woman in her early forties answered the door.  I saw instantly that she was clueless.  I asked, "Is Mr. Smith home?"  She smiled pleasantly and responded, "Yes, but he's eating breakfast now.  Can you come back later?"  I said, "I'm sorry.  It's important.  I need to see him now."  She nodded, stepped back into the beach house and said, "Tom, it's for you."   A moment later, a ruddy man in his late forties, appeared at the door.  He looked at me, turned absolutely pale, steadied himself, and said, "Jesus Christ man, he's only been there three weeks!"

Months passed.  More notifications and more funerals.  Then one day while I was running, Sergeant Jolly stepped outside the building and gave a loud whistle, two fingers in his mouth....... I never could do that..... and held an imaginary phone to his ear.  Another call from Headquarters Marine Corps.  I took notes, said, "Got it." and hung up.  I had stopped saying "Thank You" long ago.  Jolly, "Where?"  Me, "Eastern Shore of Maryland .  The father is a retired Chief Petty Officer.  His brother will accompany the body back from Vietnam ...."

Jolly shook his head slowly, straightened, and then said, "This time of day, it'll take three hours to get there and back.  I'll call the Naval Air Station and borrow a helicopter.  And I'll have Captain Tolliver get one of his men to meet you and drive you to the Chief's home."  He did, and 40 minutes later, I was knocking on the father's door.  He opened the door, looked at me, then looked at the Marine standing at parade rest beside the car, and asked, "Which one of my boys was it, Colonel?"

I stayed a couple of hours, gave him all the information, my office and home phone number and told him to call me, anytime.  He called me that evening about 2300 (11:00PM).  "I've gone through my boy's papers and found his will.  He asked to be buried at sea.  Can you make that happen?"  I said, "Yes I can, Chief.  I can and I will."  My wife who had been listening said, "Can you do that?"  I told her, "I have no idea.  But I'm going to break my ass trying."

I called Lieutenant General Alpha Bowser, Commanding General, Fleet Marine Force Atlantic, at home about 2330, explained the situation, and asked, "General, can you get me a quick appointment with the Admiral at Atlantic Fleet Headquarters?"  General Bowser said, "George, you be there tomorrow at 0900.  He will see you." 

I was and the Admiral did.  He said coldly, "How can the Navy help the Marine Corps, Colonel."  I told him the story.  He turned to his Chief of Staff and said, "Which is the sharpest destroyer in port?"  The Chief of Staff responded with a name.  The Admiral called the ship, "Captain, you're going to do a burial at sea.  You'll report to a Marine Lieutenant Colonel Goodson until this mission is completed..."  He hung up, looked at me, and said, "The next time you need a ship, Colonel, call me.  You don't have to sic Al Bowser on my ass."  I responded, "Aye Aye, Sir" and got the hell out of his office.

I went to the ship and met with the Captain, Executive Officer, and the Senior Chief.  Sergeant Jolly and I trained the ship's crew for four days.  Then Jolly raised a question none of us had thought of.  He said, "These government caskets are air tight.  How do we keep it from floating?"   All the high priced help including me sat there looking dumb.  Then the Senior Chief stood and said, "Come on Jolly.  I know a bar where the retired guys from World War II hang out."   They returned a couple of hours later, slightly the worse for wear, and said, "It's simple; we cut four 12" holes in the outer shell of the casket on each side and insert 300 lbs of lead in the foot end of the casket.  We can handle that, no sweat."

The day arrived.  The ship and the sailors looked razor sharp.  General Bowser, the Admiral, a US Senator, and a Navy Band were on board.  The sealed casket was brought aboard and taken below for modification.  The ship got underway to the 12-fathom depth. 

The sun was hot.  The ocean flat.  The casket was brought aft and placed on a catafalque.  The Chaplain spoke.  The volleys were fired.  The flag was removed, folded, and I gave it to the father.  The band played "Eternal Father Strong to Save."  The casket was raised slightly at the head and it slid into the sea.  The heavy casket plunged straight down about six feet.  The incoming water collided with the air pockets in the outer shell.  The casket stopped abruptly, rose straight out of the water about three feet, stopped, and slowly slipped back into the sea.  The air bubbles rising from the sinking casket sparkled in the sunlight as the casket disappeared from sight forever....

The next morning I called a personal friend, Lieutenant General Oscar Peatross, at Headquarters Marine Corps and said, "General, get me out of here.  I can't take this anymore."  I was transferred two weeks later.

I was a good Marine but, after 17 years, I had seen too much death and too much suffering.  I was used up.  Vacating the house, my family and I drove to the office in a two-car convoy.  I said my goodbyes.  Sergeant Jolly walked out with me.  He waved at my family, looked at me with tears in his eyes, came to attention, saluted, and said, "Well Done, Colonel.  Well Done."   I felt as if I had received the Medal of Honor!
Item Number:1 Date: 06/01/2018 BURMA - PRELIMINARY AGREEMENT REACHED WITH U.N. FOR RETURN OF ROHINGYA, GOVERNMENT SAYS (JUN 01/NYT)  NEW YORK TIMES -- The government of Burma (Myanmar) has announced a preliminary agreement with the United Nations to return Rohingya Muslim refugees to the country, reports the New York Times.   Few details were released after the agreement was announced on Thursday. Burmese officials said U.N. agencies would work with the government to repatriate verified refugees.   The U.N. said the Burmese government agreed to give it access to Rakhine state, which has been sealed off since a military campaign last year against the Rohingya, reported Agence France-Presse.   In a statement, the Office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees cautioned against moving too quickly, saying that "conditions are not conducive for voluntary return yet."   Separately, the Burmese presidency said it would establish an independent commission to investigate alleged human-rights violations against Rohingya. Previous efforts have failed to produce significant results, noted the Times.   About 700,000 Rohingya -- a Muslim minority group -- have fled Burma since violence flared in August 2017. Many are living in Bangladesh, which has struggled to accommodate them.   The Burmese military has been accused of conducting an organized campaign of rape, murder and destruction to force out the minority group.  
  Item Number:5 Date: 06/01/2018 IRAQ - 2 PARAMILITARIES DIE IN ROADSIDE BOMBING (JUN 01/XIN)  XINHUA -- Two members of the Iraqi Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF) militia have been killed in a roadside bombing in the Salahuddin province north of Baghdad, reports Xinhua, China's state news agency.   The bomb went off as the paramilitary vehicle passed by during a patrol near the town of Tuz-Khurmato, said an unnamed source cited by Iraqi News.   Three troops were injured in the blast.   Local police and PMF forces searched the area after the explosion but were unable to locate the culprits.   No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack. The area is among those outside of Kurdistan that are claimed by the Kurds.   The Islamic State terrorist group has been regrouping in the eastern part of Salahuddin province and has been conducting regular attacks against Iraqi forces, officials said
  Item Number:6 Date: 06/01/2018 LIBYA - DIGNITY OPERATION TROOPS RETAKE AIRBASE IN SOUTH AFTER SURPRISE ATTACK (JUN 01/LIBOB)  LIBYA OBSERVER -- Troops from the Khalifa Haftar-led Dignity Operation have retaken the Tamanhint airbase is southern Libya after a surprise attack by militants, reports the Libya Observer.   On Thursday, armed men launched an attack on the airbase, using about 15 military vehicles to push through the main gate.   The attackers retreated to the town of Samnu after Dignity Operation forces launched airstrikes and sent ground troops to retake the base.   Tamahint and Samnu are located north of the contested city of Sabha, the capital and largest city of Libya's Fezzan region.   One Dignity Operation fighter was reported killed and four others wounded.   There were no immediate claims of responsibility. The Dignity Operation accused the Benghazi Defense Brigades of carrying out the attack.   Other sources blamed ongoing violence between the Arabs from the Awlad Suleiman tribe and non-Arab Tebu tribes, which has been ongoing in the area since February.  
  Item Number:7 Date: 06/01/2018 MALAYSIA - COUNTERTERROR POLICE ARREST 15 FOR ISIS-INSPIRED PLOT ON ELECTIONS (JUN 01/CNASIA)  CHANNEL NEWSASIA -- Malaysian counterterrorism police have arrested 15 people suspected of plotting attacks during last month's election, reports Channel News Asia (Singapore).   The suspects were arrested between March 27 and May 9 in the states of Kuala Lumpur, Selangor, Johor, Kelantan and Sabah, Inspector-General of Police Mohd Fuzi Harun said on Friday.   The mastermind of the plot is believed to be a 51-year-old housewife, said a senior intelligence source. She planned on attaching a gas canister to her car to function as a bomb, which she would crash into non-Muslims during the elections.   The woman, who has not been named, recruited at least 10 followers through social media sites. Her plot was reportedly influenced by similar Islamic State (ISIS) attacks in the U.K. and France. It was unclear if her actions were directed by the terror group.   Also arrested was a 17-year-old student, who expressed support for ISIS and made six Molotov cocktails in preparation for lone-wolf attacks on churches, entertainment centers and Hindu temples in Kuala Lampur.   Several other suspects were allegedly trying to obtain weapons for the cell.   In addition, six Philippine nationals were arrested as part of a cell that planned to join Islamic State-linked militants who seized the city of Marawi in the southern Philippines last year
Item Number:10 Date: 06/01/2018 SOMALIA - AL-SHABAAB SUSPECTED IN MURDER OF YOUTH ACTIVIST IN MOGADISHU (JUN 01/GAROWE)  GAROWE ONLINE -- A prominent Somali youth activist has been shot and killed in Mogadishu, reports the Garowe Online (Somalia).   Abdiweli Ahmed Mohamed, a representative with the city's youth league, was gunned down while leaving a mosque Thursday night.   The gunmen fled the scene after the shooting.   There were no immediate claims of responsibility.   Security forces say they are investigating leads pointing to the Al-Shabaab terrorist group.   The group has carried out a number of assassinations of local leaders and recently released a video showing them attacking government employees, reported China's Xinhua news agency.    
Item Number:14 Date: 06/01/2018 USA - MISSILE DEFENSE MAKES SOME PROGRESS AS COSTS BALLOON, SAYS GAO (JUN 01/BLOOMBERG)  BLOOMBERG NEWS -- The U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) says the U.S. missile defense complex accomplished a number of goals in 2017, reports Bloomberg News.   The Ground-Based Midcourse Defense (GMD) system successfully intercepted an intercontinental ballistic missile target with an upgraded ground-based interceptor and the number of interceptors, based in Alaska and California, was increased from 30 to 44, said the GAO report that was issued on May 30.   A software upgrade for the fire-control segment was fielded that included enhancements for battle management and discrimination functions. In addition, the program completed a preliminary design review for a new kinetic warhead, said the GAO.   At the same time, the interceptor program has ballooned in cost to $67 billion, a $26 billion increase from its most recent estimate. It is now the fourth most expensive Pentagon weapons program.   The GAO study also noted that the MDA failed to meet many of its acquisition goals for fiscal 2017.   The report also details an impasse over the transfer of the Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system from MDA to the Army, reported Defense Daily.   The system has reached full-rate production authority and senior officials have directed that MDA transfer THAAD to the Army. The service has rejected the transfer due to a $10 billion requirements gap.   
  Item Number:15 Date: 06/01/2018 USA - N. KOREAN INTELLIGENCE CHIEF SET TO DELIVER LETTER FROM KIM (JUN 01/REU)  REUTERS -- A North Korean delegation is expected to deliver a letter from North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un to President Donald Trump, reports Reuters.   Intelligence chief Kim Yong Chol, a close aide of Kim, is expected to deliver the letter when he leads a North Korean delegation during a visit to the White House on Friday, sources say.   It is not known if Trump will receive the delegation in the Oval Office.   Trump expects the letter to be "very positive," reported the Wall Street Journal.   It was not clear what might be contained in the letter. Details of the meeting in Washington were still being finalized, said a White House spokesman.   The North Korean intelligence head has been meeting with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in New York this week.   Pompeo said that progress is being made but had cautioned against hopes of a quick solution.   No announcements have been made about the status of the Trump-Kim summit in Singapore, which was scheduled for June before being cancelled last week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment