Friday, July 21, 2017

Fw: TheList 4506


The List 4506

To All,
I hope you all have a great weekend.
This Day In Naval History - July 21
1823 - After pirate attack, LT David G. Farragut leads landing party to destroy pirate stronghold in Cuba.
1905 - USS Bennington (Gunboat #4) is wrecked by a boiler explosion at San Diego, Calif. One officer and 65 enlisted men die in the explosion, along with numerous crew injuries.
1944 - Invasion and recapture of Guam begins.
1946 - In first U.S. test of adaptability of jet aircraft to shipboard operations, XFD-1 Phantom makes landings and takeoffs without catapults from Franklin D. Roosevelt.
1987 - Navy escorts first Earnest Will Convoy in the Persian Gulf.
This Day In Naval History - July 22
1802 - Frigate Constellation defeats 9 Corsair gunboats off Tripoli.
1905 - Body of John Paul Jones moved to Annapolis, MD for reburial.
1953 - U.S. ships laid down heavy barrage to support UN troops in Korea
1964 - Four Navy Divers (LCDR Robert Thompson, MC; Gunners Mate First Class Lester Anderson, Chief Quartermaster Robert A. Barth, and Chief Hospital Corpsman Sanders Manning) submerge in Sealab I for 10 days at a depth of
192 feet, 39 miles off Hamilton, Bermuda. They surfaced on 31 July 1964.
1974 - Evacuees from the coup on Cyprus arrive on board Navy vessels in the Mediterranean. Operation ended on 24 July.
This Day In Naval History - July 23
1947 - First Navy all jet squadron (VF-17A) receives its first aircraft (FH).
1948 - USS Putnum (DD-757) evacuates U.N. team from Haifa, Israel and becomes first U.S. Navy ship to fly the U.N. flag.
1950 - USS Boxer sets record crossing of Pacific to bring aircraft, troops, and supplies to Korea at start of the Conflict
1958 - USS Nautilus (SSN-571) departs Pearl Harbor for first submerged transit of North Pole.
1993 - Sarah Deal becomes first women Marine selected for naval aviation training.
Today in History July 21
Henry IV defeats the Percys in the Battle of Shrewsbury in England.
The Peace of Breda ends the Second Anglo-Dutch War and cedes Dutch New Amsterdam to the English.
Russia and Turkey sign the Treaty of Pruth, ending the year-long Russo-Turkish War.
The Treaty of Passarowitz is signed by Austria, Venice and the Ottoman Empire.
Pope Clement XIV abolishes the Jesuit order.
Napoleon Bonaparte defeats the Arab Mameluke warriors at the Battle of the Pyramids.
In the first major battle of the Civil War, Confederate forces defeat the Union Army along Bull Run near Manassas Junction, Virginia. The battle becomes known as Manassas by the Confederates, while the Union calls it Bull Run.
Wild Bill Hickok kills gunman Dave Tutt in Springfield, Missouri, in what is regarded as the first formal quick-draw duel.
The James Gang robs a train in Adair, Iowa.
Mary Church Terrell founds the National Association of Colored Women in Washington, D.C.
French Captain Alfred Dreyfus is vindicated of his earlier court-martial for spying for Germany.
The British House of Lords ratifies the Versailles Treaty.
John Scopes is found guilty for teaching evolution in Dayton, Tenn., and is fined $100.
France accepts Japan's demand for military control of Indochina.
U.S. Army and Marine forces land on Guam in the Marianas.
The French sign an armistice with the Viet Minh that ends the war but divides Vietnam into two countries.
Sirimavo Bandaranaike becomes the first woman prime minister of Ceylon.
Thanks to Mike
E-2C Hawkeye Navy surveillance plane nearly crash off carrier deck
Truly a soiled shorts moment!!!
Today on Fighter Sweep
Picture of the Day: Soldiers Sling-load M777 Howitzer using a CH-47 Chinook
Lots to see in this photo when you look closely! Nothing like hauling the big guns if you are a CH-47 Chinook pilot! Soldiers sling-load M777 Howitzers using Boeing CH-47 View More ›
A bit of humor from Carl
Some sophisticated observations offered by sports heroes.....

Don Meredith, Dallas Cowboys Quarterback once said: "Coach Tom Landry is such a perfectionist that if he was married to Raqel Welch he'd expect her to cook."
Harry Neale, professional hockey coach: "Last year we couldn't win at home and we were losing on the road.  My failure as a coach was that I couldn't think of anyplace else to play."
Reggie Jackson commenting on Tom Seaver: "Blind people come to the ballpark just to listen to him pitch."
Doug Sanders, professional golfer:  "I'm working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect."
Mickey Lolich, Detroit Tigers pitcher:  "All the fat guys watch me and say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer.'"
Tommy LaSorda , L A Dodgers manager: "I found out that it's not good to talk about my troubles. Eighty percent of the people who hear them don't care and the other twenty percent are glad I'm having them."
E.J. Holub, Kansas City Chiefs linebacker regarding his 12 knee operations: "My knees look like they lost a knife fight with a midget."
Vic Braden, tennis instructor: "My theory is that if you buy an ice-cream cone and make it hit your mouth, you can learn to play tennis. If you stick it on your forehead, your chances aren't as good."
Walt Garrison, Dallas Cowboys fullback when asked if Tom Landry ever smiles: "I don't know. I only played there for nine years."
John Breen, Houston Oilers: "We were tipping off our plays. Whenever we broke from the huddle, three backs were laughing and one was pale as a ghost."
Bum Phillips, New Orleans Saints, after viewing a lopsided loss to the Atlanta Falcons:"The film looks suspiciously like the game itself."
Al Hrabosky, major league relief pitcher: "When I'm on the road, my greatest ambition is to get a standing boo."
Paul Horning, Green Bay Packers running back on why his marriage ceremony was before noon:  "Because if it didn't work out, I didn't want to blow the whole day."
Lou Holtz , Arkansas football coach:  "I have a lifetime contract. That means I can't be fired during the third quarter if we're ahead and moving the ball."
Knute Rockne, when asked why Notre Dame had lost a game: "I won't know until my barber tells me on Monday."
Bill Walton, Portland Trail Blazers:  "I learned a long time ago that 'minor surgery' is when they do the operation on someone else, not you."
George MacIntyre, Vanderbilt football coach surveying the team roster that included 26 freshmen and 25 sophomores: "Our biggest concern this season will be diaper rash."
Rick Venturi, Northwestern football coach: "The only difference between me and General Custer is that I have to watch the films on Sunday."
A story from the List archives that you may enjoy
Subject: Air America Black Helicopter

Air America's Black Helicopter

The secret aircraft that helped the CIA tap phones in North Vietnam.
By James R. Chiles

BLACK HELICOPTERS ARE A FAVORITE FANTASY when conspiracy theorists and
movie directors conjure a government gone bad, but in fact, the last vehicle a
secret organization would choose for a stealthy mission is a helicopter. A
helicopter is a one-man band, its turbine exhaust blaring a piercing whine,
the fuselage ski's vibration rumbling like a drum, the tail rotor rasping like a buzzsaw.

In the last dark nights of the Vietnam War, however, a secret government
organization did use a helicopter for a single, sneaky mission. But it was
no ordinary aircraft. The helicopter, a limited-edition model from the
Aircraft Division of Hughes Tool Company, was modified to be stealthy.
It was called the Quiet One-also known as the Hughes 500P, the "P"
standing for Penetrator.

Just how quiet was the Quiet One? "It was absolutely amazing just how
quiet those copters were," recalls Don Stephens, who managed the Quiet One's
secret base in Laos for the CIA. "I'd stand on the [landing pad] and
try to figure out the first time I could hear it and which direction it was
coming from. I couldn't place it until it was one or two hundred yards away."
Says Rod Taylor, who served as project engineer for Hughes, "There is no
helicopter today that is as quiet."

The Quiet One grew out of the Hughes 500 helicopter, known to aviators
in Vietnam as the OH-6A "Loach," after LOH, an abbreviation for "light
observation helicopter." The new version started with a small
research-and-development contract from the Advanced Research Projects
Agency (now the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) in 1968. The idea
of using hushed helicopters in Southeast Asia came from the CIA's Special
Operations Division Air Branch, which wanted them to quietly drop off
and pick up agents in enemy territory. The CIA bought and then handed over
two of the top-secret helicopters to a firm-by all appearances, civilian-called
Air America. Formed in 1959 from assets of previous front companies,
Air America was throughout its life beholden to the CIA, the Department of
State, and the Pentagon.

The Quiet One's single, secret mission, conducted on December 5 and 6, 1972,
fell outside Air America's normal operations. The company's public face-what
spies might call its "legend"-was that of a plucky charter airline
delivering food and supplies to civilians in Laos, and flying occasional
combat evacuation missions in Laos and South Vietnam. While it did
substantially more than that, and at considerable peril (217 of its
employees died in Laos), Air America crews did not make it a practice
to fly deep into North Vietnam.

The mission was intended to fill an information gap that had been galling
Henry Kissinger, secretary of state under President Richard Nixon.
Negotiations to end the 11-year war had begun in March 1972 but stalled
in part because South Vietnamese leaders feared that North Vietnam would
invade not long after U.S. troops left. A five-month Air Force and Navy
bombing campaign called Operation Linebacker had brought the North Vietnamese
to the negotiating table in Paris that October, but even that campaign could
not force a deal. Kissinger wanted the CIA to find out whether the North
Vietnamese were following the peace terms or just using them as a
smokescreen for attack plans.

From its intelligence work a year earlier, the CIA knew about a weak
point in the North Vietnamese wall of security: a telephone line used by the
country's military commanders, located near the industrial city of
Vinh. A patrolled bicycle path ran alongside the string of telephone poles, but
at one spot, about 15 miles southwest of Vinh and just east of the Cau
River, the phone line went straight up a bluff, over a ridge, and down the
other side. The terrain was too steep for bikes, so the path followed the
river, which flowed around the bluff, rejoining the telephone poles on the
bluff's far side (see hand-drawn map, p. 67). This would be the best place to
drop off commandos to place a wiretap.

Because the Vinh tap would be sending its intercepts out of North
Vietnam, across Laos, and into Thailand, it would need a solar-powered relay
station that could catch and transmit the signal, broadcasting from high
ground. The station would be within earshot of enemy patrols, so both the tap and
relay would have to be dropped in by helicopter-a very quiet one.

Disturbing the peace

The Hughes Tool Aircraft Division had started working on such a
helicopter in 1968; that year an affluent suburb of Los Angeles had bought two
piston-powered Hughes 269 helicopters for police patrols. Citizens soon
called to complain about the noise of the low-flying patrols, and the
city told Hughes to either make them quieter or take them back. An emerging
market for police patrols was at stake. Engineers at Hughes identified one of the
worst of the noisemakers: the tail rotor. By doubling the number of blades to
four, Hughes was able to cut the speed of the rotor in half, which reduced
the helicopter's noise.

Coincidentally, the Advanced Research Projects Agency was hunting for
contractors who could cut noise from military helicopters of all sizes.
After hearing about Hughes' work on the police helicopters, ARPA
offered the company $200,000 in 1968 to work similar magic on a Hughes OH-6A light
helicopter. Hughes Tool made a short movie about the modifications,
which included a new set of gears to slow the tail rotor, and showed it to
ARPA. "ARPA came back and offered a blank check to do a Phase Two of the
program with no holds barred," recalls Taylor, the project engineer. "Each and
every noise source in the helicopter was to be addressed in an attempt to
reduce the signature to an absolute minimum." ARPA gave the project the code
name Mainstreet. Even before work was fully under way, the CIA ordered two
(later registered as N351X and N352X) for use in the field. Test flights began
at Culver City, California, in 1971, followed by a brisk training program
for the U.S. instructor-pilots who would later train mission pilots.

Flights of the Quiet One included low-level work at the secret Air Force
base Area 51 in Nevada and touchdowns on peaks in California to familiarize
pilots with close-quarters maneuvering and landing in darkness. Pilots
needed at least eight hours to get comfortable with steering by sole
reference to the comparatively narrow view of the forward-looking
infrared (FLIR) camera, which was mounted just above the skids. Says Allen
Cates, an Air America pilot who flew one in 1973: "When you saw a person, it was
like looking at a photo negative. Or you'd see just the hood of a car, glowing
from heat off the engine block. And when you were landing, a blade of
grass looked as big as a tree."

The slapping noise that some helicopters produce, which can be heard
two miles away or more, is caused by "blade vortex interaction," in which
the tip of each whirling rotor blade makes tiny tornadoes that are then
by oncoming blades. The Quiet One's modifications included an extra
main rotor blade, changes to the tips on the main blades, and engine
adjustments that allowed the pilot to slow the main rotor speed, making the blades
quieter (see "How To Hush a Helicopter," p. 68). The helicopter also
had extra fuel tanks in the rear passenger compartment, an alcohol-water
injection system to boost the Allison engine's power output for short
periods, an engine exhaust muffler, lead-vinyl pads to deaden skin
noise, and even a baffle to block noise slipping out the air intake.

The extensive alterations did not blank out all noise, Taylor says.
Rather, they damped the kinds of noise that people associate with a helicopter.
"Noise is very subjective," he says. "You can reduce the overall noise
signature and an observer will still say, 'I can hear it as well as
before.' It's related to the human ability to discriminate different sounds. You
don't hear the lawnmower next door, but a model airplane is easily
heard. It has a higher frequency and seems irritating."

Hughes shipped the two Quiet Ones to Taiwan in October 1971. Under the
CIA's original plans, the Vinh wiretap mission would be flown by pilots from
the Taiwanese air force's 34th Squadron. This would offer the United States
some deniability, however flimsy, if any of the helicopters were captured.
The pilots' U.S. instructors included two veteran helicopter pilots with
experience flying low-level missions in Vietnam: Lloyd George Anthony
Lamothe Jr. and Daniel H. Smith The two had joined Air America six
months earlier for that purpose.

The decoys arrive

Meanwhile, Air America's fleet in Thailand accepted delivery of two
more Hughes 500 models-standard ones-and used them for air taxi operations.
The job of these plain-vanilla Loaches was to distract attention from the
Quiet Ones before they even landed in Laos. Loaches were common in Vietnam
but not in Laos, so Air America needed to start using them in full view of
North Vietnamese sympathizers. That way, if an enemy observer later saw the
modified Loaches flitting past on a moonlit night, he might not
consider the event worthy of comment.

Initial flight training on the Quiet Ones, conducted in Taiwan, was
completed by June 1972. The two helicopters and their gear traveled on a C-130
transport to an isolated airstrip in Thailand called LS-05. Mechanics pulled
them out, swung the rotor blades for flight, and filled the tanks, and the
two helicopters flew by night to an even more obscure base, a secret one in
southwest Laos known to insiders as PS-44. PS stood for "Pakse Site," a
reference to the garrison town of Pakse, 18 miles to the southeast.
PS-44 had been built to house Laotian commandos and the aircraft that flew
them around. Its dirt strip and three tin-roof buildings sat on the edge of
a plateau, surrounded on three sides by steep ground that was unusual for
its expanses of bright beach-like sand, eroded from nearby cliffs of white

It appeared to be far away from everything, but it was not far from the
enemy. By late 1972, units of the North Vietnamese army were ensconced
20 miles to the north. To offer some peace of mind, the CIA had Air
America keep a turbine transport helicopter, the Sikorsky S-58T "Twin Pack,"
handy for evacuations. More reassuring, the terrain was so steep and
overgrown that the enemy could have stormed it from only one direction: the west.
The base also relied on a perimeter of six guard posts staffed by Laotian
soldiers, and reinforcements could have been called in from a base
lying southwest, along the Mekong River.

No pictures allowed

Cameras were discouraged at PS-44, and photographing the Quiet One was
strictly forbidden. Crews already knew the risk of telling tales in the bars
and brothels of Southeast Asia, but even inside the base, the code of
silence persisted. "You just didn't come up and introduce yourself at PS-44," says Dick Casterlin,
an Air America pilot who came to the base often. "Nobody talked about their
personal background or where they were from." Men who worked closely
for months knew each other only by first names or nicknames. The CIA itself
had its own nickname at PS-44: The men called it simply "the Customer."

Casterlin flew an S-58T helicopter during some of the wiretap attempts,
accompanying the Quiet One in order to rescue the wiretap teams if that
became necessary. Casterlin had a security clearance for special
missions, but even he wasn't told where the CIA had hidden the Quiet One.

According to base manager Stephens, the Quiet One was kept out of sight
about 600 yards northwest of PS-44's main building, reachable down an
unmarked, narrow forest trail. Because of the distance, the forests,
and the quieting gear, the helicopter couldn't be heard from the porch of the
base's main building unless it was flying overhead. Even then, at night, it
sounded like a far-off airplane. The helicopter had its own hangar so Soviet
spyplanes and satellites could not get a look at the peculiar profile
produced by the extra main rotor blade, a tail rotor with blades in an
odd scissored configuration, and big muffler on the rear fuselage.

Between June and September, Lamothe and Smith tried to train the
Taiwanese crews to fly the mission, but after months of poor performance by the
trainees-including a botched night landing that demolished one of the
two Quiet Ones-and bickering over who would be the chief pilot, the CIA
managers got fed up and sent the whole contingent home. Lamothe and Smith
prepared to fly the mission themselves.

At the same time, the agency placed the project under new management.
James Glerum arrived in Pakse to direct operations. Glerum had been the CIA's
assistant base chief at Udorn Royal Thai Air Force Base when the Quiet
Ones landed in Laos. The new assignment demonstrated how urgently the state
department wanted the wiretapped information, according to Air America
chief helicopter pilot Wayne Knight. Glerum, he says, was a CIA
"super-grade," outranking many careerists at headquarters.
Soon after his arrival, Glerum quizzed Smith and Lamothe on their cover
story. When he realized they had none, he provided them with false
identities and a story to go with them in case of capture.

More help came from Air America, which was offering up its best
aircraft (the term used was "gold-plated") and its most experienced men to
support the mission. One was Thomas "Shep" Johnson, a rangy Idahoan with a
background in smoke-jumping. Johnson had started with Air America in
its first year, 1959, rigging bundles with parachutes and pushing them out
of aircraft. A year before, he had been one of only three men to survive a
North Vietnamese attack at another Laotian air base. Johnson's main
responsibility was to train a squad of eight Laotian commandos for the
Vinh wiretap mission. For years, the commandos had been fighting communist
forces and had reported on enemy traffic along the Ho Chi Minh Trail in
eastern Laos. A group of 100, they lived in a separate part of PS-44 and manned
the perimeter.

The CIA had hoped to get the wiretap in place before monsoon season,
but a series of mishaps and equipment malfunctions, compounded by the
monsoons starting early, delayed the mission. "We had a string of unbelievably
bad weather," says Glerum. "Normally, November to January is the rainy
season. It had started right as I got there [in October]." Twice Lamothe and
Smith took off from PS-44 to fly the wiretap mission, refueling in eastern
Thailand and heading into enemy territory, only to turn back after
running into clouds in the passes or fog at the wiretap site. "The preparation
for the mission was a very hectic time," says Stephens, "but it also seemed
like it dragged on forever."


Hughes technicians toiled over the troublesome infrared camera;
problems with it had forced cancellation of an October 21 attempt. "The FLIR
[forward-looking infrared] required a lot of work," recalls Glerum.
Other gadgetry included SU-50 night-vision goggles (their first use in Laos),
which worked only when the moon was a quarter to a half full. The
helicopter also had a long-range navigation system (LORAN-C).

Any mishap during the night flight into North Vietnam, particularly
while the crew maneuvered among trees and telephone poles, would doom the
mission and probably its participants. By day Lamothe and Smith studied photos
and maps marking the stealthiest route to the target. By night they
practiced by using LORAN to navigate from the hangar to a nearby training ground
they called the Hole. The topography of the Hole was an "astonishingly
accurate duplicate" of the actual wiretap site, according to Glerum. Flying into
and out of it was "no problem in the daytime, [but] it could be a bugger at
night," recalls Casterlin. Smith and Lamothe dropped the commandos near
a simulated telephone pole (a tree stripped of branches and equipped with
a cross arm) and flew to a pre-selected tree, where they laid out the
radio rig called the spider relay.

The spider relay was to be deployed as the helicopter hovered over a
tree. With its solar panels, electronics boxes, and antennas sprung open to a
width of almost 10 feet, the relay perched atop the branches with a
fishnet-like webbing. It was nearly impossible to see from the ground.
The relay could be folded into a compact package that fit between the
helicopter skids, but there was so little ground clearance left after it was
attached, the pilots could land only on a hard, flat surface.

When each night's practice was complete, Lamothe and Smith flew back
through the darkness to the concrete landing pad, which was shaped like an
old-fashioned keyhole. The approach to landing was memorable because
the Quiet One used no landing lights; it relied on an infrared floodlight
on the nose. The light cast an eerie, ruddy glow.

Some of the biggest threats to mission success came not from North
Vietnamese army spies but from plain bad luck. One flight opportunity
was lost when a scorpion bit a wiretap team commando, setting off an
allergic reaction. On one of the training flights at the Hole, after Lamothe and
Smith deployed the spider relay used for practice, it slid off the
branches and crashed to the ground, with pieces scattering. Training for the
mission could not proceed without the relay, and joyful speculation spread
among the ranks: It would be a month or more until a new spider could come from
the States, so the men could go on leave.

But no: Stephens flew to the spot by helicopter, slid down a rope, and
helped technician Bob Lanning bag up the pieces. Back at camp, Lanning
laid them out on a floor and said he could get the relay working if he had
some new parts. "Jim Glerum sent a cable," says Stephens, "and in three days
we had the parts by courier. Bob worked two and a half days, almost
nonstop, and put it back together. So we only lost a few days."

With the moon entering the favorable phase, the rescue crews moved to a
forward staging base in eastern Thailand while Lamothe, Smith, and the
Quiet One remained at PS-44. An attempt was scheduled for the night of
December 5, amid rising doubts among Air America veterans as to whether the scheme
would ever work.

That night, the Quiet One flew to a refueling base at the Thai-Laotian
border, where it met a de Havilland DHC-6 Twin Otter with the Laotian
commandos. Two commandos with guns and the wiretap equipment climbed
aboard the Quiet One, and the rest stayed on the Otter with parachutes and
more guns in case they were needed for a rescue. Accompanied by an armed
Twin Pack flown by Casterlin and Julian "Scratch" Kanach, the Quiet One set
course for the northeast. The Twin Pack broke away at the North
Vietnamese border and took up a slow orbit over Laos, out of radar range but on
call if needed. Despite the Twin Pack's readiness to play the rescue role,
security was as tight as ever. "I did the LORAN navigation, but I didn't have
the coordinates of the wiretap location," Casterlin says. "I assumed they'd
tell me if I needed to know, or maybe Scratch knew."

Leaving the Ho Chi Minh Trail, and without being targeted by the
anti-aircraft defenses along it, Lamothe and Smith climbed to cross the
Annamese mountains, then dropped to follow the nap of the earth,
following streambeds when possible. When the pilots identified the wiretap spot,
they hovered, and the two Laotian commandos jumped a few feet to the ground.

Lamothe and Smith then flew west across the Cau River to a
1,000-foot-high mountain to set the spider relay. Finding the ideal tree for the relay
had taken months of intense photo-reconnaissance work. The tree had to be tall, on high ground with a
clear view of the western horizon, and flat at the crown. An Otter orbited
over a receiver relay, which was already in place atop another mountain
halfway into Laos. Inside the Otter, technicians were watching an oscilloscope
measure a test signal from the spider relay.

Meanwhile, the Laotian commandos at the wiretap site found that the
poles were concrete rather than wood, so they couldn't use their
pole-climbing boots to get up them or a stapler to attach the antenna. The men
shinnied up instead. After splicing into the phone wires, they put the tap in
place; it was concealed in a glass insulator of the same color used on the
French-built line. The commandos began taping up the short-range
antenna and installing narrow solar panels atop the pole's cross-arm. This would
power the tap's transmitter.

When Lamothe and Smith heard from the Otter that the Thai oscilloscope
was getting a clear signal from the spider relay's transmitter, they threw
a switch that released the last cables connecting the spider relay to the
helicopter and flew the Quiet One to a streambed to wait for the
commandos to finish attaching the solar panels. At the scheduled time, Smith
restarted the helicopter's turbine; he picked up the commandos at the wiretap
site and the team returned to Laos without incident. Those listening to progress
reports at PS-44, Udorn, and the Lima 40A refueling site were
pleasantly startled to hear that the crew was on its way back and the tap was in
place without a firefight, recalls Wayne Knight.

"What makes the Vinh tap so special is that they pulled it off," Knight
says. "It had to be right the first time."


Lamothe and Smith left the Quiet One at PS-44 and flew to the CIA's
regional office at Udorn by conventional aircraft. Much celebration at ensued
there-perhaps too much. During the subsequent R&R, someone at the
Wolverine Night Club in town bit off part of Smith's ear. If a reprimand for
attracting attention was ever entered in Smith's secret personnel file,
it didn't matter: The CIA had no plans to send the Quiet One up again, and
within a week all the Americans connected with the mission and their
equipment were on their way out of Laos.

Recollections differ on how long the Vinh tap worked-perhaps one to
three months-and why it went silent. But allegedly it yielded enough inside
information from the North Vietnamese high command to help nudge all
parties to sign a peace pact in late January 1973. Exactly what Kissinger
eavesdropped on remains classified.

"I was not aware of any specifics Kissinger and company were looking
for," Glerum says. "Since the land line [at Vinh] was understood to hold the
command channel, virtually anything would have been welcome."

The one flyable Quiet One relocated to California. Air America pilots
Allen Cates and Robert Mehaffey trained on it at Edwards Air Force Base,
achieving proficiency in early 1973. Then, before any special-mission training
began, and with no explanation, Cates and Mehaffey were sent back to their old
piloting jobs at Air America. Mechanics pulled most of the special
features out of the Quiet One, and its trail of insurance and registration
papers ends in 1973, after it was transferred to Pacific Corporation of
Washington, D.C., a holding company used as a screen for CIA-backed companies and

"The agency got rid of it because they thought they had no more use for
it," says Glerum. At least one of the ex-Quiet Ones surfaced years later at
the Army's Night Vision & Electronic Sensors Directorate in Fort
Belvoir, Virginia.

But according to the participants, no more were built. It's puzzling
why the CIA did not keep a stable of Quiet Ones, at least while the technology
remained under wraps. And it remained a secret for more than two
decades, until Ken Conboy and James Morrison told the story in their 1995 book
Shadow War.

But there were valid reasons for dropping the Quiet One from the
spymasters' catalog. "In the long run, the 500P was not the best for setting wiretaps," says
Casterlin. "It was not good for high-altitude work." It was a light
helicopter and had to be loaded with gear that cut into its payload
capability and operating altitude. The Twin Pack was much louder but
also simpler to run and more powerful, so Air America used it for later
wiretap missions in North Vietnam. At least one tap, placed on the night of
March 12-13, 1973, was successful.

Some of the Quiet One's innovations did show up on later helicopters,
including the Hughes AH-64 Apache, which has a scissor-style tail
rotor. And Hughes engineers' interest in modifying the tips of the main rotor
blades to cut the slapping noise caused by blade vortices has been taken up by
other experts. Aerospace engineer Gordon Leishman and his team at the
University of Maryland, for example, are developing a blade with curved tubes at
the tip to divert the air, thereby countering vortex formation. But, thanks
to its many unusual modifications, the 500P still holds the title that
Hughes gave it in April 1971: "the world's quietest helicopter."
Item Number:1 Date: 07/21/2017 CANADA - CHANTIER DAVIE SHIPYARD UNVEILS CONTROVERSIAL INTERIM NAVY SUPPLY SHIP (JUL 21/CBC)  CANADIAN BROADCASTING CORPORATION -- The Chantier Davie shipyard has ceremonially unveiled the temporary naval supply ship it has modified for Canadian navy service, reports CBC News.   The ceremony was held Thursday in the company's yard in Levis, Quebec.   The MV Asterix will undergo sea trials prior to beginning service in early 2018, officials said.   The Canadian government is leasing the ship for Can$668 million (US$528 million) to fill the gap between the decommissioning of its obsolete Protecteur-class supply ships and the still-under-construction Queenston-class vessels.   The Asterix will operate with two revolving civilian crews.   The supply ship project has been controversial. It was launched in 2015 at the end of the previous Conservative government's term. The former vice chief of defense staff, Vice Adm. Mark Norman, has also been accused of leaking federal Cabinet secrets to shipyard officials related to the program.   An RCMP investigation is ongoing.  
Item Number:2 Date: 07/21/2017 GERMANY - ARMS SALES TO TURKEY IN QUESTION (JUL 21/DEWELLE)  DEUTSCHE WELLE -- German officials will take a close look at future arms sales to Turkey, says the Economy Ministry, as reported by Deutsche Welle.   Extra consideration was being given to "the current situation and particularly respect for human rights," the ministry said in a statement on Friday.   German exports since the failed military coup in Turkey in July 2016 have only been approved "after very differentiated and careful review of individual cases," a ministry spokesman said.   The German Bild newspaper reported on Friday that Germany had frozen all arms deliveries to Turkey.   Germany and Turkey are at odds over multiple issues. Earlier this month, Berlin began withdrawing German military personnel deployed to an airbase in Turkey.  
  Item Number:3 Date: 07/21/2017 INDONESIA - DUTCH, INDONESIAN COUNTERTERRORISM AGENCIES AGREE TO WORK TOGETHER (JUL 21/ANTARANA)  ANTARA NEWS AGENCY -- The Indonesian National Counterterrorism Agency (BNPT) and the Dutch National Coordinator for Security and Counterterrorism (NCTV) have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) for cooperation on terrorism, reports the Antara News, Indonesia's national news agency.   The memo was signed Wednesday in Jakarta by the two agency heads.   The Netherlands is interested in learning from how the BNPT has been dealing with terrorism in Indonesia, said Com. Gen. Suhardi Alius, the BNPT chief.   The issue of returning terrorist fighters is new for the Netherlands, which is particularly interested in how the BNPT has deradicalized former terrorists, Suhardi said.   Under the MoU, the two sides agreed to exchange information on terrorism, he said
Item Number:4 Date: 07/21/2017 IRAN - IRGC CHIEF ISSUES NOT-SO-VEILED THREATS AGAINST U.S. REGIONAL BASES (JUL 21/TASNIM)  TASNIM NEWS AGENCY -- The head of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps in Iran has warned the U.S. against imposing sanctions on the IRGC, reports the semi-official Tasnim news agency (Iran).   If Washington insists on sanctioning Iran's defense sector and the IRGC, it should first remove its bases within 600 miles (1,000 km) of the Iranian border, Maj. Gen. Mohammad Ali Jafari said on Wednesday at a meeting of IRGC ground force commanders in Mashhad in northeastern Iran.   He made similar comments on Monday, as cited by the Times of Israel.   The general emphasized on Wednesday Iran's growing missile power and the deterrence provided by its air, sea and land-based missiles.   Washington should be aware that it will pay dearly for any miscalculations said Jafari.   The IRGC commander made his comments after the U.S. State Dept. and Treasury announced on Tuesday sanctions on 18 Iranian individuals, groups and networks.   The U.S. has bases in Qatar and Kuwait and its Fifth Fleet is based in Bahrain, noted Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
  Item Number:5 Date: 07/21/2017 IRAN - REVOLUTIONARY GUARDS, UNIDENTIFIED 'TERRORISTS' INVOLVED IN DEADLY CLASH IN NORTHWEST (JUL 21/IRNA)  ISLAMIC REPUBLIC NEWS AGENCY -- Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps says its forces killed three "terrorists" along the country's northwest border on Thursday, as reported by the official Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA).   Four other terrorists were wounded, the IRNA said on Friday. Some terrorists reportedly escaped and one was arrested.   One Iranian soldier was killed and another was wounded, said the Revolutionary Guards.   Ground forces successfully stopped the planned attacks of "terrorists, mercenaries of the world hegemonic powers and foreign intelligence agencies," said the IRGC.   The news agency did not identify the terrorists. Iranian forces have occasionally clashed with Kurdish separatists and Islamic State-linked fighters in the region.  
  Item Number:6 Date: 07/21/2017 ISRAEL - TENSIONS RISE AS SECURITY MEASURES, RESTRICTIONS PLACED AROUND JERUSALEM'S OLD CITY (JUL 21/ANI)  ASIAN NEWS INTERNATIONAL -- Anticipating riots by Muslims, Israel tightened security around Jerusalem's Old City, reports ANI.   Additional security measures were instituted in the holy site after an attack last week, angering Muslims.   Three gunmen and two police officers were killed on July 14 at the entrance to the Al-Aqsa mosque in the Old City. The site is called the Noble Sanctuary by Muslims; Jews know it as the Temple Mount.   Metal detectors were installed at the site, prompting protests. Clashes between demonstrators and police Thursday night injured dozens of Palestinians and five police officers, reports the Washington Post.   Hamas called for mass protests on Friday against the additional security measures. There were clashes on Thursday.   Israeli authorities are only allowing men over the age of 50 and women into the Old City.   Battalions of troops have been placed on standby and thousands of police were deployed around the compound, said officials.  
  Item Number:7 Date: 07/21/2017 IVORY COAST - WEAPONS STOLEN IN ATTACK ON ABIDJAN POLICE BASE (JUL 21/REU)  REUTERS -- Gunmen raided a police base in Ivory Coast earlier this week, say defense official cited by Reuters.   Late Wednesday, the gunmen attacked the national police academy in the Cocody neighborhood in Abidjan, said Defense Minister Hamed Bayako. Some wore military uniforms, he said the next day.   Bayako was appointed defense minister on Wednesday as part of a government shake-up. The change was directed at ending mutinies by security personnel demanding higher pay.   The academy houses a unit of the CCDO, an elite rapid-response unit made up of police, gendarmes and troops.   During the incident, security forces clashed with the attackers, who fled with stolen weapons. The assailants also fought with other security personnel in a northern neighborhood, said Bayako. Some of the stolen weapons were reportedly recovered.   It was unclear whether there were any casualties.  
  Item Number:8 Date: 07/21/2017 KENYA - TROOPS KILL SENIOR AL-SHABAAB COMMANDER; JOINT OP MADE WITH JUBALAND FORCES (JUL 21/NATION)  THE NATION -- The Kenyan military says it has killed a top Al-Shabaab commander during a joint operation with the Jubaland security forces, reports the Nation (Nairobi).   Jubaland is an autonomous region in southern Somalia.   Hassan Issack Ibrahim (alias Beila) who was in charge of the Gelef area in Somalai, was killed along with two bodyguards, Kenyan military officials said.   The account of the operation was published Thursday. On Wednesday, various weapons and gear found on the body was displayed in Dhobley, Jubaland, noted the East African.   Hassan is believed to have been behind the theft of vehicles on the Kenyan-Somali border as well as several attacks on police posts, said the military
  Item Number:9 Date: 07/21/2017 MEXICO - GANG MEMBERS ATTACK MARINES IN MEXICO CITY; 8 GANGSTERS KILLED (JUL 21/UPI)  UNITED PRESS INTERNATIONAL -- At least eight suspected gang members were killed in a shootout in Mexico City on Thursday in a gunbattle with marines, reports UPI.   The gangsters fired on marines patrolling in Tlahuac in the southwestern part of the capital, said a statement from the navy. The marines were in the area to follow up on intelligence about criminal gangs in the area, said the navy.   The suspects were involved in extortion, kidnapping and homicide in Tlahuac, Milpa Alta, Xochimilco and Iztapalapa, the service said.   A gang leader identified as Felipe de Jesus Luna was among those killed, said military officials.  
  Item Number:10 Date: 07/21/2017 PHILIPPINES - NPA ATTACKS LEAD TO CANCELLATION OF TALKS WITH COMMUNIST REBELS IN NETHERLANDS (JUL 21/ALJAZ)  AL JAZEERA -- The Philippine government has halted its unofficial peace talks with Maoist rebels after a series of attacks, say officials, as reported by Al Jazeera (Qatar).   Back-channel talks with the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) were scheduled this coming weekend in the Netherlands. Three soldiers were killed and six wounded in attacks this week claimed by the New People's Army (NPA), the armed wing of the CPP.   "Everything is on hold until favorable conditions will be agreed upon by both parties," said a presidential spokesman on Friday.   On Thursday, President Rodrigo Duterte told troops that the NPA would be the military's next target after Islamic State-linked militants who have taken over part of Marawi on Mindanao Island.   Peace talks were suspended in May after the president imposed martial law in Mindanao. The CPP earlier this week reportedly ordered the NPA to make attacks in retaliation for the proposed extension of martial law, reported Turkey's Anadolu Agency.  
  Item Number:11 Date: 07/21/2017 RUSSIA - PUTIN ADVISER ACKNOWLEDGES JOINT CYBERSECURITY UNIT DISCUSSIONS WITH U.S.; DON'T 'OVERDRAMATIZE' PROCESS, HE SAYS (JUL 21/SPUTNIK)  SPUTNIK -- A senior adviser to Russian President Vladimir Putin says that talks are being held with the U.S. for the creation of a joint cybersecurity unit, reports Russia's Sputnik news agency.   He was responding to a question Thursday in Moscow.   During talks between President Donald Trump and Putin at the G20 summit in Hamburg, Germany, earlier this month, the U.S. leader was supportive of such a unit, according to the Russian Foreign Ministry.   Trump later appeared to back away from the idea.   Andrey Krutskikh, the special representative of the Russian president for international cooperation in information security, said that "different proposals are being exchanged and are being studied. Nobody is avoiding the need for negotiations and contacts," he said.   "There is no need to overdramatize the working process, it is underway without doubts, it is difficult taking into account the U.S. realities, but this is more of the issue of the U.S. administration, not ours," commented Krutskikh.  
  Item Number:12 Date: 07/21/2017 SAUDI ARABIA - KING CONSOLIDATES SECURITY SERVICES (JUL 21/ARAB)  ARAB NEWS -- Saudi Arabia's King Salman has revamped the nation's security agencies, reports the Arab News.   On Thursday, the king ordered that the nation's counterterrorism and domestic intelligence agencies be consolidated under a new agency called the Presidency of State Security.   The new agency will be headed by intelligence chief Abdul Aziz bin Mohammed Al-Howairini at a ministerial level and be overseen by the king.   The newly created body will include the General Directorate of Investigation, the Special Security Forces, the Special Emergency Forces, General Security Aviation Command, the General Directorate of Technical Affairs and the National Information Center. They will be split off from the Interior Ministry.   The king's decrees also shook up senior personnel, including replacing the head of the Royal Guard.   The changes were made "to face all security challenges with a high degree of flexibility and readiness and the ability to move quickly to face any emergency," reported the state-run Saudi Press Agency.  
  Item Number:13 Date: 07/21/2017 SYRIA - HEZBOLLAH, SYRIAN ARMY ATTACK REBEL STRONGHOLD NEAR LEBANON'S BORDER (JUL 21/ALJAZ)  AL JAZEERA -- The Syrian military and allied Hezbollah fighters began a major offensive Friday against rebels near the border with Lebanon, says an alliance commander, as reported by Al Jazeera (Qatar).   The operation came after failed negotiations with the militants, seeking to get them to to leave the area.   Reported targets include posts belonging to Al-Qaida's former affiliate Nusra Front (later renamed Jabhat Fatah al-Sham) in the Qalamoun Mountains in the Juroud Arsal region, near the Syrian village of Fleeta and the outskirts of the Lebanese town of Arsal.   The Lebanese army has been helping refugees leave the area under U.N. supervision, said a Lebanese security source cited by Reuters. Lebanese forces were also deployed near the town of Arsal to prevent militants from fleeing across the border into Lebanon.   Earlier this week, Lebanese Prime Minister Saad al-Hariri said Lebanese troops had a plan in the Juroud Arsal area, saying it had not been coordinating with the Syrian army
Item Number:14 Date: 07/21/2017 SYRIA - ISLAMISTS REBELS CONTINUE BATTLING EACH OTHER IN IDLIB (JUL 21/AFP)  AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE -- The fighting between rival Islamist rebels in Idlib province, in Syria's northwest, has intensified, reports Agence France-Presse.   Earlier in the week, clashes began between Tahrir al-Sham, which includes Al-Qaida's former affiliate Nusra Front, and Ahrar al-Sham, considered a more moderate group.   The fighting intensified overnight, spreading to the Bab al-Hawa border crossing near Turkey, said the U.K.-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights on Friday.   That area, which was previously controlled by Ahrar al-Sham, is now split between the two groups, said the observatory.   At least 65 people have been killed, including 15 civilians, according to the monitoring group.   Clashes were also reported by an AFP correspondent on the outskirts of the town of Binnish and the village of Ram Hamdan
Item Number:15 Date: 07/21/2017 SYRIA - VIDEOS SHOW U.S. ARMORED VEHICLES HEADED TOWARD RAQQA (JUL 21/MILTIMES)  MILITARY TIMES -- In mid-July, Kurdish activists in Syria posted video and imagery of U.S.-made mine-resistant ambush-protected vehicles, M-ATVs and up-armored bulldozers being delivered on flatbed trucks, the Military Times reported on Wednesday.   Military officials maintain that the vehicles are not part of the U.S.-led coalition's support to Kurdish fighters battling the Islamic State in Raqqa, the terrorist group's de facto capital.   Video of these armored American vehicles heading toward the ISIS stronghold has raised questions about the type of aid being provided to the primarily Kurdish Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) and if it is sufficient for the task.   The SDF has taken heavy casualties in Raqqa, reportedly encountering intense resistance and improved defenses over the last four works, according to a recent assessment by the Institute for the Study of War. The SDF's progress has slowed, notes the study.   At least 35 Kurdish fighters have been killed in July, according to releases Kurdish People's Protection Unit (YPG).   The latest vehicles delivered are not of the same type known provided to the SDF. They are similar to what U.S. special operations forces use in the region.   When questioned by Military Times, U.S. officials declined to comment on whether more forces are being deployed or if they are taking on a larger role in the battle for Raqqa. The officials cited operational security
Item Number:16 Date: 07/21/2017 UKRAINE - DEFENSE MINISTRY ANNOUNCES MULTIPLE CASUALTIES IN NATION'S EAST (JUL 21/UNIAN)  UNIAN NEWS AGENCY -- The Ukrainian Defense Ministry said on Thursday that nine military personnel had been killed and five wounded over the previous 24-hour period in eastern Ukraine, reports the Ukrainian Independent Information Agency (UNIAN).   Four were killed and two injured in shelling of the town of Krasnohorivka in the Mariupol sector on Thursday morning, a ministry spokesman said. Another soldier was reportedly killed in the Donetsk sector.   Russian-backed forces fired mortars, artillery, tank cannons and Grad-P portable rocket launchers at Krasnohorivka, he said.   Another three Ukrainian soldiers were killed and three others injured when a booby trap exploded on Wednesday near the village of Novotoshkivske in the Luhansk region, said the spokesman.   One Ukrainian solder reportedly died in the shelling of the town of Maryinka.   As of 11:00 a.m. on Thursday, the Russian-backed forces had attacked Ukrainian positions 14 times, including eight times with heavy weapons, reported Ukrinform.   The ministry later said that eight were killed and 10 wounded, noted Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Item Number:17 Date: 07/21/2017 UNITED KINGDOM - DURING STEEL-CUTTING CEREMONY, FALLON ANNOUNCES 1ST TYPE 26 FRIGATE'S NAME: GLASGOW (JUL 21/UKMOD)  U.K. MINISTRY OF DEFENSE -- The first ship in a new fleet of British frigates will be named HMS Glasgow.   On Thursday Defense Secretary Michael Fallon announced the name of the first Type 26 frigate during a ceremony marking the start of manufacturing work, reports the U.K. Ministry of Defense.   During the steel-cutting ceremony held at the BAE Systems Govan shipyard in Glasgow, Fallon said the ship would be named after the Scottish city.   The frigate is scheduled to enter service in the mid-2020s. Two other ships in the class have been ordered, with plans calling for a total of eight.   The Type 26 frigates are optimized for anti-submarine warfare, with a focus on defending the navy's new Queen Elizabeth-class aircraft carriers and Britain's nuclear deterrent, said Fallon
Item Number:18 Date: 07/21/2017 UNITED KINGDOM - HISTORIC WW-II 'HIGHBALL' BOMBS RECOVERED FROM LOCH STRIVEN (JUL 21/BBC)  BRITISH BROADCASTING CORP. -- Divers have recovered two World War II-era bombs from Loch Striven in Scotland, reports the BBC.   On Wednesday and Thursday, divers from the British Sub-Aqua Club retrieved two spherical "Highball" bombs from the lake, west of Glasgow. A British navy ship and crane provided support.   The bombs did not contain explosives and were used as prototypes. The "bouncing bombs" were similar to munitions used to destroy German dams during the war, noted Reuters.   The Highballs (a codename for the munitions) were intended to be used against the German Tirpitz battleship, but were never deployed. They were moved to the Pacific to be used against Japan, but the war ended before they could be employed.   The munitions were recovered after a seven-year hunt. They are expected to be offered to aviation museums
Item Number:19 Date: 07/21/2017 USA - $37.7 MILLION CONTRACT COVERS DESIGN WORK ON WING FOR JASSM-ER CRUISE MISSILE (JUL 21/LM)  LOCKHEED MARTIN -- The U.S. Air Force has awarded Lockheed Martin a contract for ongoing work on a new wing design for the Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile–Extended Range (JASSM-ER), reports the defense firm.   The US$37.7 million contract is for work on a new wing design that will increase the range of the missile from more than 500 nm (926 km).   Analysis on an enhanced wing design began in March 2016, said a Lockheed release on July 19.   The novel design "provides additional standoff range to further increase pilot survivability in an anti-access-area denial threat environment," said Jason Denney, the Lockheed program director.   The new wing design is scheduled to be incorporated into production Lot 17, said the release.  
Item Number:20 Date: 07/21/2017 USA - STATE DEPT. LISTS IRAN AS LEADING TERROR SPONSOR; OVERALL ATTACKS FALL (JUL 21/STATE)  U.S. STATE DEPT. -- The U.S. State Dept. has released its annual report on terrorism covering calendar year 2016.   Released on July 19, the Country Reports on Terrorism 2016 provides policy-related assessments; country breakdowns of foreign government counterterrorism cooperation; and information on state sponsors of terrorism, terrorist safe havens, terrorist organizations and the challenge of chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear terrorism, said a State release on Wednesday.   Iran was, as has been the case for several years, listed as the world's "foremost" state sponsor of terrorism -- destabilizing the Middle East and exacerbating ongoing conflicts in Iran, Syria and Yemen, noted CNN.   The total number of terrorist attacks in 2016 decreased by 13 percent compared to 2015, according to the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism at the University of Maryland.   The reduction was attributed to fewer attacks and deaths in Afghanistan, Syria, Nigeria, Pakistan and Yemen.   There were terrorist attacks in 104 countries in 2016, but they were heavily concentrated. Fifty-five percent of attacks took place in Iraq, Afghanistan, India, Pakistan and the Philippines, with 75 percent of fatalities occurring in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Nigeria and Pakistan.   The Islamic State remained the top terrorist threat in 2016, directing and inspiring cells, networks and individuals around the world, said State.

No comments:

Post a Comment