Tuesday, January 29, 2019

TheList 4914

The List 4914 TGB

To All,

I hope that you all had a great weekend. This is a Bubba Breakfast Friday in San Diego.

Regards,

Skip

This day in Naval History

Jan. 28

§ 1865—Confederate torpedo boat St. Patrick strikes the side-wheel gunboat USS Octorara, off Mobile Bay, but her spar torpedo fails to explode.

§ 1944—PB4Y-1 (VB 103) aircraft sink German submarine, U 271, off Limerick, Ireland.

§ 1945—Submarine Spadefish (SS 411) attacks Japanese convoy west of Chuja Kundo, Korea and sinks escort vessel Kume and transport Sanuki Maru.

§ 1962—USS Cook (APD 130) rescues 25 survivors from Panamanian tanker, SS Stanvac Sumatra, which broke in two in the South China Sea.

§ 1986—The Space Shuttle Challenger tragically explodes early in its boost phase, killing all seven astronauts, including Navy Cmdr. Michael Smith.

Thanks to CHINFO

Executive Summary:

National headlines include the capture of the Louisiana shooting suspect in Virginia and continued coverage on the government shutdown and how the President and congressional democrats will continue to negotiate a long term plan during the three-week funding period. Several California and defense publications reported that the guided missile destroyer USS Michael Monsoor was commissioned at Naval Air Station North Island San Diego. The vessel is named for Medal of Honor recipient Michael A Monsoor, a Navy SEAL who died during Operation Iraqi Freedom, and is the second of three planned Zumwalt class destroyers. Defense News is reporting on progress of the Navy's future Frigate design and technologies it may include.

2016 January 28

The Roman Emperor Nerva names Trajan, an army general, as his successor.

1547

Henry VIII of England dies and is succeeded by his nine-year-old son Edward VI.

1757

Ahmed Shah, the first King of Afghanistan, occupies Delhi and annexes the Punjab.

1792

Rebellious slaves in Santo Domingo launch an attack on the city of Cap.

1871

Surrounded by Prussian troops and suffering from famine, the French army in Paris surrenders. During the siege, balloons were used to keep contact with the outside world.

1915

The U.S. Coast Guard is founded to fight contraband trade and aid distressed vessels at sea.

1915

The German navy attacks the U.S. freighter William P. Frye, loaded with wheat for Britain.

1921

Albert Einstein startles Berlin by suggesting the possibility of measuring the universe.

1932

The Japanese attack Shanghai, China, and declare martial law.

1936

A fellow prison inmate slashes infamous kidnapper, Richard Loeb, to death.

1941

French General Charles DeGaulle's Free French forces sack south Libya oasis.

1945

Chiang Kai-shek renames the Ledo-Burma Road the Stilwell Road, in honor of General Joseph Stilwell.1955

The U.S. Congress passes a bill allowing mobilization of troops if China should attack Taiwan.

1964

The Soviets down a U.S. jet over East Germany killing three.

1970

Israeli fighter jets attack the suburbs of Cairo.

1986

The space shuttle Challenger explodes just after liftoff.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Monday Morning Humor thanks to Al

Submitted by Al Schlegel:

I very quietly confided to my best friend that I was having an affair.

She turned to me and asked, "Are you having it catered?"

And that, my friend, is the sad definition of "OLD"!

It's scary that I make the same noises as my coffee maker.

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

These days about half the stuff in my shopping cart says, 'For fast relief.'

Submitted by Rex Roloff:
I want to be like a caterpillar. Eat a lot. Sleep for a while. Wake up beautiful.
I can't believe how old people my age are.
Morning…tired. Afternoon…dying for a rest. Night…can't sleep.
My super power is holding onto junk for years and throwing it away a week before I need it.
I always knew I'd get old. How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.
I'm great at multitasking. I can listen, ignore, and forget all at once.
If I weigh 200 pounds on Earth, I would only weigh 76 pounds on Mars. I'm not overweight; I just live on the wrong planet.

Submitted by John Hudson:

The older you get the more you appreciate being at home doing absolutely nothing.

Submitted by Dave Harris and Colleen Grosso:

As I get older I realize…
I talk to myself, because there are times I need expert advice.
I consider "In Style" to be the clothes that still fit.
I don't need anger management I need people to stop irritating me.
My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work.
The biggest lie I tell myself is, "I don't need to write that down. I'll remember it."
I have days when my life is just a tent away from a circus.
These days, "on time" is when I get there.
Even duct tape can't fix stupid—but it sure does muffle the sound.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could put ourselves in the dryer for ten minutes, then come out wrinkle-free and three sizes smaller?
Getting lucky" means walking into a room and remembering why I'm there.
When I was a child, I thought nap time was punishment. Now it feels like a mini vacation.
Some days I have no idea what I'm doing out of bed.
I thought growing old would take longer
Aging sure has slowed me down, but it hasn't shut me up.
I still haven't learned to act my age.

Submitted by Mark Logan:
I don't plan to grow old gracefully. I plan to have face-lifts until my ears meet.—Rita Rudner
We could certainly slow the aging process down if it had to work its way through Congress.—Will Rogers
The only reason I would take up jogging is so that I could hear heavy breathing again.—Erma Bombeck
Regular naps prevent old age, especially if you take them while driving.—Author Unknown
Old age is when you resent the swimsuit issue of Sports Illustrated because there are fewer articles to read.—George Burns
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.—Woody Allen
I've learned that life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.—Andy Rooney
When you are dissatisfied and would like to go back to youth, think of algebra.—Will Rogers
I'm at an age when my back goes out more than I do.—Phyllis Diller
There is only one cure for gray hair. It was invented by a Frenchman. It is called the guillotine.—P.G. Wodehouse
My grandmother was a very tough woman. She buried three husbands and two of them were just napping.—Rita Rudner
At my age, flowers scare me.—George Burns
A stockbroker urged me to buy a stock that would triple its value every year. I told him, '"At my age, I don't even buy green bananas."—Claude Pepper
You know you're getting old when the candles cost more than the cake.—Bob Hope
He's so old that when he orders a three-minute egg, they ask for the money up front.—George Burns
So far, this is the oldest I've been.—George Carlin
By the time a man is wise enough to watch his step, he's too old to go anywhere.—Billy Crystal
How young can you die of old age?—Steven Wright
Looking 50 is great if you're 60.—Joan Rivers
True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.—Kurt Vonnegut
When I was a boy the Dead Sea was only sick.—George Burns
You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred.—Woody Allen
Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning.—Bob Hope
I'm so old they've canceled my blood type.—Bob Hope
You know you're getting old when you get that one candle on the cake. It's like, "See if you can blow this out."—Jerry Seinfeld
The first sign of maturity is the discovery that the volume knob also turns to the left.—Jerry M. Wright
It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.—Woody Allen

Submitted by Bob King:
Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
Live your life and forget your age.
I've seen better days, but I've also seen worse. I don't have everything that I want, but I do have all I need. I wake up with some aches and pains, but I wake up. My life may not be perfect but I am blessed.
Spending time with children is more important that spending money on children.—Anthony Douglas Williams
Putting your phone away and paying attention to those talking to you? There's an app for that, it's called RESPECT.
If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.—Lao Tzu
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid—Albert Einstein
Take care of your thoughts when you are alone. Take care of your words when you are with people.
I don't have time to worry about who doesn't like me. I'm too busy loving the people who love me.

Submitted by Jayne Lamoreaux and Steve Collins:

You know…time has a way of moving quickly and catching you unaware of the passing years. It seems just yesterday that I was young, just married and embarking on my new life with my mate. Yet in a way, it seems like eons ago, and I wonder where all the years went. I know that I lived them all. I have glimpses of how it was back then and of all my hopes and dreams.
But, here it is... the winter of my life and it catches me by surprise...How did I get here so fast? Where did the years go and where did my youth go? I remember well seeing older people through the years and thinking that those older people were years away from me and that winter was so far off that I could not fathom it or imagine fully what it would be like.
But, here it is...my friends are retired and getting grey...they move slower and I see an older person now. Some are in better and some worse shape than me...but, I see the great change...Not like the ones that I remember who were young and vibrant...but, like me, their age is beginning to show and we are now those older folks that we used to see and never thought we'd be. Each day now, I find that just getting a shower is a real target for the day! And taking a nap is not a treat anymore... it's mandatory! Cause if I don't on my own free will... I just fall asleep where I sit!
And so...now I enter into this new season of my life unprepared for all the aches and pains and the loss of strength and ability to go and do things that I wish I had done but never did!! But, at least I know,
that though the winter has come, and I'm not sure how long it will last...this I know, that when it's over on this earth...it's over. A new adventure will begin!
Yes, I have regrets. There are things I wish I hadn't done...things I should have done, but indeed, there are many things I'm happy to have done. It's all in a lifetime.
So, if you're not in your winter yet...let me remind you, that it will be here faster than you think. So, whatever you would like to accomplish in your life please do it quickly! Don't put things off too long!! Life
goes by quickly. So, do what you can today, as you can never be sure whether this is your winter or not! You have no promise that you will see all the seasons of your life...so, live for today and say all the things that you want your loved ones to remember...and hope that they appreciate and love you for all the things that you have done for them in all the years past!!
"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after. Make it a fantastic one.

Submitted by Norm Rech:

As I've aged, I've become kinder to, and less critical of, myself. I've become my own friend.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world, too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it, if I choose to read, or play on the computer, until 4 AM, or sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 50s, 60s & 70s, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love, I will.

I will walk the beach, in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves, with abandon, if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set. They, too, will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And, eventually, I remember the important things.

Sure, over the years, my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break, when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength, and understanding, and compassion. A heart never broken, is pristine, and sterile, and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As I get older, it is easier to be positive. I care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day (if I feel like it).

Have a great week,
Al

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Thanks to Don

Skip,

Not planes but submarines: great video of our brethren under the seas:

Hud'n

padre

There are a couple of other good videos available with it.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Thanks to MICRO
Recreational drugs

An article on Marijuana. Strongly recommended:

And then you can read my addition below that I wrote in response to some friends' questions:

First, everyone knows, or knows of, a pothead. He/she sits on the floor in the corner, oblivious to everything around them. They live in a clouded world. They have no passion, no ambition, and no worries, apparently. They started using the drug to "cope" with growing up or with the stressors of living, and now, at age 40, they don't know any other way to cope with life, other than the processes they used before they started smoking marijuana at age 13. So, their coping mechanisms have never matured, and they have to stay stoned to face life. Those that started regularly smoking marijuana years ago have not advanced in life in proportion to their education, talent, and intelligence. If they started smoking later in life, they may not have noticed yet, but their rocket motor burned out, and they're coasting on a trajectory that is no longer accelerating upward. Eventually, they'll crash and blame something else.

You see, THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, has a half-life of 7 days. That means that a week after smoking one marijuana cigarette, half of the THC you inhaled is still in your system. THC is lipid-soluble, not water soluble. That means that it lives in lipids (like fat cells) and cannot be washed away with food or water.

So, if you're a "light" recreational smoker, and all you ever have is one marijuana cigarette every weekend, here's what happens: the first weekend, you have 100% of the THC ingested in your system. The next weekend, you have 50% of last weekend's plus 100% of this weekend's ingestion. The following weekend, you have 25% of the first weekend's, 50% of the second weekend's, and 100% of the third weekend's ingestions. It keeps going like that with the amount of THC in your system asymptotically approaching 100% of one marijuana cigarette's THC immediately BEFORE ingesting the next 100% for the current weekend. So, the amount of THC ALWAYS in your system is a MINIMUM of having just finished smoking one joint.

Now, what if you're smoking more frequently than that, which is the far more common circumstance? Let's take the "worst" case of the daily smoker. Let's say it's just one joint a day, not the 5-10 that some people ingest. Using the half-life of 7 days means that after one day over 90% of yesterday's THC is still in your system BEFORE ingesting today's dose. Here's just the first week's numbers:
Days
Amount of THC
100%
191%
273%
347%
414%
475%
530%
Here it is at one month:

1006%
1011%
At 90 days:
1061%

And that is steady-state. That is, at this rate of ingestion, due to the number of joints that are almost all gone from your system (they never completely go away), the percentage stays the same. Here it is at one year:

365
1061%

That means that, if you smoke one joint a day, after just over a month, you've reached the steady state condition of having the amount of THC ALWAYS in your system that TEN joints provide. You are never "sober." You may learn to function, just like a functioning alcoholic, but your personality will be gone, you will have no ambition, and you can never think straight. You will have no highs and no lows. That means no passion for anything, including staying alive. You cannot love, and, unless a psychosis is triggered, you cannot hate. Your personality has flat-lined.

That is a dangerous society. Think of Greenwich Village of the early sixties running our country.

It is not "safe." There are far more cancer-causing substances in one marijuana cigarette than in a commercial, tobacco cigarette. No one smokes marijuana with a filter (that I know of). Of course, most marijuana smokers don't smoke 20 or more a day, so the lung cancer risk is less but not zero by a long shot.

Contrast this with, say, alcohol, which many marijuana smokers love to compare their use to. If you drink too much alcohol, you pass out so you cannot drink more. Your body metabolizes alcohol at the rate of about one ounce (of alcohol, not of the entire drink, which may be from about 4% to 30% alcohol) per hour. Your hangover may last longer because your body is still getting rid of all the toxins you introduced, but, for the most part, the next morning, you're sober. After a day, there is zero alcohol in your body. It doesn't accumulate, even if you drink every day. It is water soluble, so it is washed away with food and water.

Even heroin, in my opinion, isn't as bad as marijuana because heroin isn't nearly as insidious as marijuana is. No one is advertising heroin as being a cure for your ills. No one is prescribing heroin for PTSD or psychoses. No one is throwing heroin parties and celebrating its use. If you use too much, you die. If you use it long enough, you crash and get cured, die, or get hooked again. It's very obvious when you're hooked. You would kill for your next dose. There's nothing sneaky about it. Marijuana advocates are sneaky. They have bought into a marketing campaign, and now a bunch of people are going to make a lot of money from destroying a lot of lives.

It should remain illegal. I don't care how many lives are upset by fines and jail time. I don't care how "disproportionate" the sentences may seem to be. It DOES lead to more drug use, regardless of what the advocates may claim.

And John Boehner claiming that he changed his mind because of the use of medical marijuana for veterans is sickening. I never thought much of him, but that statement is worthy of a Democrat.

We wonder what has happened to society. What happened to common sense? Why are so many people advocating socialism? Why are so many quick-tempered, nasty, and have no sense of fairness or even morality? Well, as the article suggests, we might look no further than the rise of recreational drug use across the country. It has changed our personalities. On a large scale, personality translates to culture.

Dave

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Thanks to Don

China's CHEVY!!! You really need to watch this

China's CHEVY!!! -

This video shows how GM simply does not have any or much intent on expanding or maintaining its manufacturing presence in America but instead they are doing their growth, expansion, etc. in China.

Remember that GM's largest assembly plant is in Korea. And Ford's Largest is in Brazil. Both are relatively new plants. They didn't build them in the US.
If this doesn't make "the hair on the back of your neck stand up" nothing will.

China's Chevy? WOW!! This is truly a "MUST SEE".

BUY A CHEVY ... WHAT A JOKE!

OUR BAILOUT MONEY WAS WELL SPENT???

After investing $80 BILLION ($80,000,000,000.00) in GM this is what we get. Just take a few minutes to watch the video below.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Thanks to Dutch R.

The Trojan Horse has arrived

thanks to CS

That's the plan have kids , infiltrate , TAKE OVER…………

Subject: The Trojan Horse has arrived

😢 sad

This should scare the hell out of you. Sharia Law is here.

How Many Muslims Won Political Office

Salim Patel NJ Passaic City Council WIN

Sabina Zafar CA San Ramon City Council WIN

Judiciary

Shahabuddeen Ally NYC Civil Court, NY County WON

Sam Salamey MI District Courts, District 19 WON

Rabeea Collier TX District Courts, 113th District WON

Halim Dhanidina CA Court of Appeal, Second Appellate District, Division Three WON

George Abdallah Jr. CA Superior Court of San Joaquin County, Office 12 WON

Adel A. Harb MI Wayne County Circuit Court WON

In breaking these down by state.

California

Rabeea Collier – District Courts, 113th District

Salman Bhojani – Euless City Council Place 6

Virginia

Babur Lateef – Prince William County School Board

Haseeb Javed – Manassas Park City Council

Mo Seifeldein – Alexandria City Council

Those judiciary wins are extremely significant considering how judges don't seem to be concerned about the Constitution anymore and look to foreign law and "precedent" in many of their rulings.

However, numbers from a report by Hamas-CAIR (Council on American-Islamic Relations) in coordination with JETPAC indicates that a high percentage of Muslims voted in 2018.

The report claims:

97% of Muslim voters participated in this year's midterm election.

• 88% of Muslim voters primarily voted for the Democratic Party candidates and 17% for Republican Party candidates.

• 56% of Muslim voters consider themselves liberal on social issues, while 26% consider themselves conservative.

• 33% of Muslim voters consider themselves fiscally conservative, while 50% consider themselves liberal.

• 26% of Muslim voters who primarily voted for Democratic candidates perceived themselves as being conservative on social issues. Moreover, 36% perceived themselves as being fiscally conservative.

• 78% of Muslim voters thought Islamophobia and anti-Muslim sentiment in the U.S. increased while 17% thought it decreased in the past year.

• 88% of Muslim voters who primarily voted for Democratic Party candidates thought Islamophobia increased in the past year. Conversely, only 33% of Muslim voters who primarily voted for Republican Party candidates thought Islamophobia increased in the past year.

• 53% of Muslim voters became more interested in politics since the 2016 presidential election, while 34% maintained the same level of interest in politics and 13% became less interested in politics.

• 65% of Muslim voters have become more actively involved in politics and/or civically engaged since the 2016 presidential election, while 25% have not.

• Out of those Muslim voters who have become more actively involved in politics and/or civically engaged since 2016 presidential election:

• 50% have primarily donated money to a political or social campaign.

• 55% have primarily donated their time by volunteering with a local charity or civic-minded or religious organization.

• 48% have primarily donated their expertise by using their skills and/or network to advance social/political engagement.

• 27% have primarily been involved in another way.

If people don't think they have an agenda to conform America to Islam, they really do need to pull their heads out of the sand.

Article posted with permission from The Washington Standard

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

A bit of news from around the world

Venezuela—Military Attache In Washington Defects Wall Street Journal | 01/28/2019 The top military representative of Venezuela in Washington has defected as President Nicolas Maduro continues to assert his control over the military, reports the Wall Street Journal. On Saturday, Col. Jose Luis Silva called on other military officers to recognize Jose Guaido as the country's interim leader. Appearing in full military uniform, Col. Silva called on troops not to obey orders to attack protesters. Following the comments, the Venezuelan Defense Ministry called Col. Silva a traitor controlled by international powers. Silva told Reuters that a consular official in Houston and one in another U.S. city also recognized Guaido. The news service could not confirm the claim. The move is symbolic but unlikely to substantially affect forces on the ground. Col. Silva resides outside the country and does not command troops, one analyst told the newspaper. Maduro has worked to project an image of strength after Guaido declared himself interim president in front of thousands of supporters on Jan. 23. On Sunday, Maduro attended a ceremony at Fort Paramacay in the central city of Valencia in which he denounced coup plotters.

Libya—Tobruk-Based Forces Seize Sabha In Southwest Reuters | 01/28/2019 Representatives from the Libyan government based in Tobruk in the eastern part of the country have arrived in the southern city of Sabha, reports Reuters. The delegation, including interior, health and junior justice ministers, flew into the city for a meeting on Monday after its military force took control late last week, said an official. This was the first visit by east Libyan officials since the Libyan National Army (LNA) led by Khalifa Haftar announced that it had gained control of the city on Jan. 25, reported Asharq Al Awsat (London). Militants had gained control of the area, said a government spokesman. The LNA took control of the city's airport and military installations after local groups handed them over without fighting. Units then moved south against Chadian militants in the area, said a military spokesman. Holding Sabha is seen as the key to securing control over oilfields in southern Libya, one of the stated objectives of the LNA operation in the region. Opponents accused the government of trying to expand its influence in the country amid a de-facto civil war. Some residents complained of looting, kidnappings and attacks against civilians in the town after LNA forces entered, reported the Libya Observer.

USA—Boeing Wins Contract For 19 P-8As to U.S., Norway, U.K. U.S. Department Of Defense | 01/28/2019 The Naval Air Systems Command has awarded Boeing a $2.5 billion contract for maritime patrol aircraft for the U.S. Navy, Norway and the U.K., reports the Dept. of Defense. The deal, announced on Friday, covers 10 P-8A Poseidon Lot 10 aircraft for the Navy, five for Norway and four for the U.K. The State Dept. approved the potential sale to the U.K. in March 2016 and to Norway in December 2016. The P-8 is expected to enter service in the U.K. in October 2019, with initial operating capability expected in 2020, noted the Defense Post. Norway expects to take delivery of the maritime patrol aircraft between 2022 and 2023. Training for RAF airmen is underway at Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Fla.

Russia—Factory Testing Underway For New Recon System For Soldiers Tass | 01/28/2019 An individual reconnaissance system for Russian troops is undergoing factory testing, reports Russia's Tass news agency. The Glaz system has already been experimented with by Russia troops in Syria, a defense industry source said on Sunday. The device features a high-resolution camera that is designed to be launched from a flare gun. The device is fired to an altitude of 980 feet (300 m) and deploys a parachute to slow its descent. As it falls, the camera transmits imagery to the soldier's tablet computer. The launcher weighs just under 1 pound (400 grams) and can provide imagery within an area of about 0.2 square miles (0.5 sq km).

Philippines—ISIS Claims Deadly Bombing At Church In Sulu Province Cable News Network | 01/28/2019 The Islamic State (ISIS) terrorist group has claimed responsibility for twin bombings at a cathedral in the southern Philippines that killed at least 20 people, reports CNN. On Sunday, two explosive devices detonated at the Cathedral of Our Lady of Mount Carmel on Jolo island, part of the predominately Muslim Mindanao region. The first exploded inside the church and the second targeted soldiers who arrived to help, said a military spokesman. Fourteen soldiers and two police officers were among 81 injured. In a statement via its Amaq news agency, ISIS claimed responsibility for the assault. The statement did not indicate which of its multiple affiliates in the region carried out the attack. Authorities believe the attack was carried out by a faction named "Ajang Ajang," which has carried out many kidnappings in the region, reported Reuters. The attack came on the heels of a widely-backed referendum to grant more autonomy to the majority Muslim region. The island of Jolo voted not to join the planned autonomous government for the region, noted Al Jazeera (Qatar).

Iraq—2 Killed In Protest At Turkish Base Over Civilian Deaths Rudaw | 01/28/2019 At least two civilians have been killed and 15 injured after protesters stormed a Turkish military base in Iraqi Kurdistan, reports Rudaw (Iraqi Kurdistan). On Saturday, demonstrators gathered outside the facility near Sirye in Duhok province before setting fire to guard towers along the perimeter fence. Kurdish security forces were deployed to the scene and forcibly dispersed the protests. The protests followed Turkish airstrikes last week that killed six people in the semi-autonomous enclave. Prior to the incident, demonstrators read statements condemning the airstrikes and the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK). Ankara enjoys close relations with the government in Erbil and frequently carries out airstrikes on alleged PKK targets in the area. The Kurdish group is currently headquartered in Iraqi Kurdistan's Qandil mountains. On Sunday, Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar announced that military operations against the PKK would continue. The Iraqi Foreign Ministry condemned the killing of civilians and emphasized that the Iraqi government was responsible for ensuring the security of its citizens. The statement also slammed any group using Iraqi territory to attack neighboring countries. The Kurdistan Regional government blamed the PKK for the incident.

Afghanistan—Initial Framework Takes Shape For Peace Deal With Taliban Reuters | 01/28/2019 The U.S. has reached a tentative framework for a possible peace agreement with the Taliban, reports Reuters. Under the draft agreement, U.S. forces would leave Afghanistan 18 months after the signing of an accord, Taliban representatives said on Saturday. U.S. officials said that no timeline had been discussed. The militant group would also have a role in an interim government following the imposition of a cease-fire, said Taliban leaders. U.S. officials declined to discuss details of the agreement. An American official told the news agency that the talks made "significant progress." The U.S. would not seek a permanent military presence in the country, said the anonymous official. U.S. special envoy Zalmay Khalilzad arrived in Kabul on Sunday to discuss the framework with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani. As the first step, the Taliban had agreed to the U.S. demand that Afghan territory should not be used as a staging ground for terrorist attacks, said Khalilzad, as quoted by the New York Times. The next phase of the deal would involve the U.S. agreeing to withdraw combat forces from Afghanistan in return for the Taliban entering talks with the Afghan government and agreeing to a permanent cease-fire. These last two points could prove difficult to resolve, U.S. officials said. On Monday, President Ghani said that all foreign forces would leave Afghanistan without directly referencing the deal. The next round of talks is tentatively scheduled for Feb. 25 in Qatar.

USA—V-280 Valor Prototype Accomplishes Speed Milestone Bell Helicopter | 01/28/2019 Bell's tiltrotor prototype for the U.S. Army-led Future Vertical Lift program achieved its objective speed in a test last week, reports the manufacturer. The V-280 Valor reached 280 knots true airspeed during a Jan. 23 flight test at a company facility in Arlington, Texas. The achievement comes after 85 hours of flight testing over the past year. Bell executive Carl Coffman said the V-280's sprint or dash speed "will probably be in excess of 280 knots," while acknowledging that the long-range cruise speed will probably remain under 280 knots for purposes of fuel economy, reported Breaking Defense. Flight testing this year will focus on expanding the flight envelope, low-speed agility maneuvers, bank angles and autonomous flight, said Bell. Bell's competitor for the Future Vertical Lift competition, the Sikorsky-Boeing SB>1 Defiant, has suffered repeated delays and is yet to begin flight testing.

United Kingdom—Protector Drones To Carry Brimstone Missiles MBDA Missile Systems | 01/28/2019 The U.K. Ministry of Defense has awarded MBDA Systems a contract to integrate the Brimstone high-precision strike missile on the Royal Air Force's newest combat drones, reports the manufacturer. The Brimstone will equip the Protector RG Mk 1 remotely piloted aircraft, enabling it to engage high-speed moving and maneuvering targets including fast boats, said a company release on Jan. 24. Contract details, including cost and timeline, were not disclosed. The deal follows a recent series of successful firings of the Brimstone from an MQ-9 Reaper drone in the U.S. The Protector, an armed variant of the MQ-9B Sky Guardian, will also carry Raytheon UK Paveway IV guided bombs and Leonardo's Seaspray maritime radar and SAGE electronic support measures, reported Flight Global.

No comments: